Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Does having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

I been thinking a lot about how nice it would be to move down to SoCal and get AP's for the whole family so we can go to Disneyland whenever we like. If I could convince my wife to move away from family then maybe we would have already done it. However when I really think about it I have to wonder, would going to the park so often ruin the magic?

The three times I've been to Disneyland have been truly awesome experience. Once when I was a kid, Once with just me and my wife, and then taking my kids to the park for their first time have all been very special trips. I have savored every moment at Disneyland because I know it will be a while before I get to go back.

I know there is a lot to soak in at the Disneyland Resort and I'm sure I've missed a lot. However, if you are able to go so often with an AP does it ever get boring?

• #bringevilback

Re: Does having and Annual Pass ruin the experience?

Depending on how often you go and what you do each time, certain aspects could get boring, but I went on average about 1.5 times a week lat year and I did not get tired of it and it didn't lose the magic. Sme days I would just do DL, some days DCA, some days both, but the parks are so full of things to do that there is enough variety to keep you occupied and interested. I would onlygomfor a few hours at a time, though, so if you spend the entire day there, 2-3 times a week, yeah, it wold probably get boring.

Do I thnk Disneyland is a good enough reason to move away from your family personally, no, but that's your decision...

• Minion

I had the Premium AP in 2012, and it didn't really ruin the experience for me. In fact, it allowed me to do things in the park that I wouldn't typically do like the Tiki Room and the Disneyland Monorail. I personally wouldn't move solely to be close to Disneyland, other factors like home costs and neighborhood safety should also be considered imo. SoCal also offers a plethora of other fun activities such as the beach, other theme parks, mountains, and the movies. But those are just my suggestions, you are free to do whatever you want.

• Selfie Expert

This was my first year with an AP, but I'm out of state so don't go as frequently as most local APs. That being said, I have never been more in love with the parks! Having an AP allowed me to really explore the properties, find hidden things, take the time to soak in the atmosphere, and just really learn to appreciate everything instead of rushing around trying to fit it all in.

I think it all depends on what you're looking to do, and what everyone's attitude is. As with everything in life, it is what you make of it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Re: Does having an Annual Pass ruin the experience?

I'm in the same boat with KellyMcG86 where I am out of state but my wife and I have APs and it didn't ruin our experience. Any time we were in the area, we could go to the parks, either one, and go a bit more leisurely. When we had day passes, we felt like we had to run around and get everything in to maximize our utils. Once we got APs, we got to take it a bit slower. We didn't feel it was as 'risky' to wait in a longer line or to see a show because we didn't fee like we were risking spending valuable time doing something we dont like.

That being said, I am sure if you went 6 times a week, every week, then there may be less magic than the very first time you go. There is some diminishing returns here but it really will be what you make it. I know that seems to be the consensus through the first three responses but it really rings true.

If you do decide to move down, I'd say try to do a lot of the other activities too, from the Halloween parties to the holiday layovers... those things should help keep it fresh. And you will be in a major metropolitan area so you should have plenty of other things to do, even if it is to go watch the terrible LA dodgers...

In the end, it will be what you make it. You can probably go too many times and get a bit bored but in the end, there is so much to do in the area and they tend to do enough other events that you should be able to keep it fresh and fun. If it does get boring though, that may be the king of all first world problems...

• Monorail Junkie

I live in Northern Ca and my family and I have Deluxe AP's. Since we head down to the parks at a minimum of twice a year and stay 3-4 days it is more economical for us.

We have had a PAP for 11 years now and we live only 7 miles away! We are at Disneyland at least 8 times a month and for us it never gets old! Sometimes I'll see something and say hey I never notice that before! For us the Magic is still there. I'm just a Disney Nut!! Lol!

P.S. I never get bored at The Happiest Place on Earth!! How could You!

• Former Churro Jockey

I guess I'll be the first to say that yes it does in the sense that the magic that you feel as a first time guest or very infrequent guest goes away, but then I guess a different kind of magic takes over. Not to get too sappy or overly dramatic, but instead of being a fantasy world it feels more like going home when the world outside is chaotic and messy and home is the way things should be.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Well, depending on traffic we live about 45 minutes (8am Sunday) or 3 hours (Friday rush hour). So thats a factor. We did a season pass. We went about 20 times and stayed 2 days each. It was great but we are taking a break. It in fact did not ruin the experience, but enhanced it because if it was crowded, we just relaxed and took in the atmosphere, knowing we would return the next day.

• Foolish Mortal

No, if anything I'd say having an AP takes the edge off. You know you can go for a few hours, and if a certain attraction or show isn't happening that day, you can catch it tomorrow, or the next day. As with most things in life, moderation is key.

For the record I don't think I would move solely to be close to Disneyland, it would be a factor, but the situation would have to be right. We have a lot of friends and extended family in the area so we wouldn't be completely alone.

I'm actually in Canada and am about 1400 miles/20 hours away and I'm not up to my neck in cash, so getting an AP right now wouldn't work.

I would love to explore the park more. Definitely when have gone it is a rush to make sure that we get in as much as we can in the few days we're there. Like I said, I'm sure there is a lot I am missing. Does anyone have any suggestions of things that are easy to miss, or place where I should just slow down and enjoy whats there?

I agree with brian11811... my partner and I had AP for a few years, both Deluxe and Premium and we never got tired of going to the parks. But as brian said, when the parks got crowded, we'd leave knowing that we could come back whenever we wanted. We'd also plan our visits so that traffic wouldn't be an issue, since we live in the Valley, which can be either 50 minutes or two hours away. We've been taking a break from Disney for the past two years. Since they've been doing so much construction, with Carnation Plaza, Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, and the Big Thunder Mountain refurb, we figured that would be a great time to let the dust settle before heading back. We plan on getting our AP back this holiday season. So yeah, I don't think having an AP in any way ruins the experience. If anything, like someone else said, it gives you the time and breathing space to appreciate the little touches in the park you wouldn't otherwise notice whilst racing from thrill ride to thrill ride, obsessing over getting your money's worth.

• Minion

Living in San Diego, about 1.5 hours away from Disneyland, it feels good having a pass. I don't go every week, or even every other month, but I like the fact that I can go when I want to and I never feel like I'm pressed for time. There's always next time and there's always another chance to go.

I will say that I was getting burned out after going four or five times within a few weeks' time because I was doing a lot of the same things, but if you find new experiences like that ride you rarely do or that restaurant you've never tried, it's hard to "ruin" Disneyland.

• Minion

Last year while waiting for my umpteenth view of the DL fireworks at the ToonTown gate I started feeling a little guilty about spending so much time there but then I thought that nobody on his/her deathbed will ever say "I think I saw too many fireworks displays at Disneyland" so I just sat back and enjoyed it.

Sure, Disneyland, is artificially engineered to be fun and frivolous -- but that's hardly a stroke against it. Disneyland is always "old reliable" in the amusement department, something not necessarily guaranteed with other forms of leisure.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast