Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Annual Pass - how close should you live for it to be "worth it"?

Thank you all for your insights.

You are all right -- if it was up to me, I would use the pass all the time and it would most definitely be worth it! But, as BogLurch writes:

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It does not sound like he would expect to receive the worth of the pass in value from the experience.
    There is a horribly selfish part of me that wants to say, fine! I will purchase an AP for myself! and then I'd join a San Diego Disney fan meetup to carpool up every week or so haha. It is tough. I'm grateful that the husband likes Disney enough to come with me but it is hard when your partner isn't as nuts about it as you are. That is probably a discussion thread for another day.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am married, and my husband is not a Disney fan at all. So, in our family there is one AP. My husband encourages me to go as often as we can afford. Other husbands/significant others are not as understanding, and might resent the separation/time spent apart.

• Evil is Sexy

My husband and I are both Disney fans and go as often as time and spare money allows (14 one day trips since February.) We live just south of San Diego and it takes us about 2 hours to get to the Happiest Place on Earth. We have Premium AP's because the blackout dates would not work with his schedule.

Next year, I may be the only one renewing since he may be deployed. The AP's were a gift from him, something that we both love and could do together. Or, to keep me out of trouble at a relatively safe place when I want to get out of the house.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

All the others are right. It is not the distance but the quantity of your visits that make it worth it.

The math will need to be recalculated in order to take into account one purchase and the impact on spending and savings. Again, that is purely an numerical exercise.

As for the real issue, whether or not your spouse will be disapproving, you will need to discuss that with him. If he is fine with you doing that, then race up the 5 and get your AP. If not, that is something only the two of you can work out. Maybe it is not an AP this year but a couple of trips and put the money to WDW. Then in a couple years you can get your AP and use at your leisure.

As long as there won't be any issues from him if you go a couple times a month them you should be fine. Then it boils down to finances. Maybe he could use some of the time you are up in Anaheim to do something else he wants.

My wife is not a fan and would rather have a great deal of time between our trips than the once a year we currently do.

For me, I wouldn't be able to make an argument to do that as it would mean pulling my boys out of school to go with me and spend a few days away from Phoenix. Eventually I will get mine but it will be in another decade or two when they are grown and gone.

I'm a bit north of San Diego - North County area - (about an hour and 20 mins or less from Disneyland). I had an AP for years and felt it was completely worth it. I ended up going at least once a month. Depending on how many times you plan on going, you should consider adding parking to your AP. The drive is nothing really... just the gas prices today are tough. But if you split the cost of gas with someone, it's not so bad!

I'm about an hour's drive away. We never buy souvenirs and so the only money we spend is food and parking. We often share food considering the portions are huge at the places we enjoy, like Plaza Inn. I think it's worth it as we go fairly often: once a month, at least, if we're not blocked out.

I went to college about fifteen, twenty minutes away, so it was definitely worth it then!

i live in San Francisco and consider the Premium AP to be worth it. I've been a passholder since 2008.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

I feel for you having a spouse who doesn't love Disney as much as you do. Mine was the same way....but he could take Disney or leave it. Now after a LOT of years he loves it too and we have fun planning each of our trips. It kind of evolved. So be patient and get in as much Disney time as possible hopefully with no friction.At least he doesn't hate it!
    Could be he'll slowly become more and more into getting AP's and driving up to the parks more often. Stranger things have happened!
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Minion

I live 24 hours away (by car, 3 by plane) and my family considered getting one in 2004 because we went at holiday season but we hadn't decided on the 50th early enough to get them, but my parents wished we had because it would have saved us a lot on the second trip. for me its a no brainer going forward because I plan to have 2-3 trips/year, going this route means I don't have to pay for admission every time, add on top of that the 15% off on meals and 20% off on merch and it will more then pay for itself. if a 5 day park hopper is 300 and the premium is 669 then for my first trip I'll be at roughly half of the cost remade in admission alone, then you add the couple bucks saved on each meal and each shopping experience and all of a sudden thats looking like another 100 or more that I saved thanks to having the pass, so thats roughly 400, by the second trip I'll not only have gotten it all worth it but I'll feel like I'm truly saving at that point. Let alone online and DelivEARS orders too.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yup I am in NY and have had an AP while living out here.

I would get an AP for you and paln some solo trips as well as some trips with him (he'd have to buy a ticket) and in exchange, he can do whatever he's interested in that you might not be (baseball games?) by himself a few times a year.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I live about 25 miles north of Disneyland and 25 miles east of Los Angeles. I am right on the edge of LA County, in the suburbs. This means when I'm bored on a weekday afternoon, a trip to LA, with nowhere to park, no guarantee of anything to actually do, and limited mobility is about the only alternative to a "free" trip to Disneyland.

Once I arrive at Disneyland I don't usually pay for much since I can spend as little as 4 hours there, between meals, and only pay for a snack. Can't really do that in LA. Granted, the food in LA is generally much better (and cheaper!) but that's besides the point!

I think I'm the perfect distance away: a 30 minute drive. If it takes an hour to get there, I think it involves more careful planning and therefore will be less "worth it".

• Blew By You

We live in Santa Clarita which is about an hour's drive to Disneyland. Seems like everything we like to do is an hour's drive too. We had to curtail lots of other entertainment stuff, but we've felt it was worth having APs.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I live in North County San Diego as well and getting an AP has been totally worth it to me.

A 90 minute drive up isn't that bad considering I'm never rushed while at the parks. If I don't see a show, or miss an attraction, there is always "next time" instead of trying to smash everything into one or two days. I prefer not to visit Disneyland if I have to go through everything at break neck pace.

Sometimes walking through DLR at a snail's pace can open your eyes to details you've never noticed before. You can take in the atmosphere. You can figure out different paths to each show or attraction. When you have the parks memorized by heart, it makes things less stressful going from attraction to attraction. I'd say there's a lot more value in that for me at least, rather than trying to watch and ride everything within 2 days.

Even with a DLR AP, I've saved up for a WDW trip... sure the WDW trips are a lot less often, and is a different experience, but who says you can't do both? Doesn't have to be immediate, but putting $50 or $100 away per month to save up for the trip can add up quickly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12