Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: What if the 3rd gate was Disney's America but with a Marvel Twist!

johnlawwhiskey, you need to look into the concept of licensing.

As sleepyjeff stated, a good many of the ideas for Disney's America were ported over to Disney's California Adventure.

I have yet to see Disney top The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man in the US. If they can't do that, I'm not interested in their take on a Marvel attraction, regardless of the story issues that will undoubtedly be ignored in the name of branding.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I must be misreading my Disneyland map because I could have sworn that I saw Innoventions listed there.

Universal never owned Marvel. They don't own Marvel now.
    Innoventions isn't a ride by any stretch of the imagination, and the Iron Man exhibit is not there to stay, it's for a limited time, leaves the end of September, and then Disneyland will again be Marvel free the way it should stay.

My point exactly, Universal doesn't own Marvel, so Disney should push to get their property out of Universal's parks. It would be like me taking Shrek and opening a ride at Disneyland that is Shrek themed, Disney doesn't own Dreamworks, it doesn't belong there. Unless Universal is going to pay Disney a ton of money for using their property in the parks, then Universal needs to shut down the Marvel section. There is also a huge difference between say an Avengers rollercoaster in the middle of Disneyland, and an Iron Man display tucked into a very unpopular attraction. I'm talking about preserving the atmosphere of Disneyland, there is no way, by any stretch of the imagination, that Marvel could fit in, in the original theme park, and it could still have that nostalgic feel.

I have nothing against Marvel, besides the fact I dislike comic book characters in general. But Disney should use their property, just not at Disneyland. They should add it to DCA or a third gate, to not take away from Disney magic.

• Former Churro Jockey

Universal licensed the Marvel characters for their parks before Disney purchased it, and once Disney purchased it they have to honor all contracts that were signed before then, including the one that allows Universal to have Marvel in their parks. So unless Universal decided to opt out (and has the right to even do that under the contract), Marvel is going to stay at Universal no matter what Disney does. I've also heard on here that the contract prohibits anyone else from building a Marvel ride in Florida, so (if this is true) even though Disney owns Marvel they are legally prohibited from building a Marvel ride at Walt Disney World.

Bottom line is that Disney didn't spend billions of dollars to acquire Marvel out of the goodness of their heart. They need to recoup all of that money and a lot more, and if it's true that they can't build Marvel rides in Florida, then it's coming to Disneyland no matter what. I just hope it's not too intrusive, and that most of it says at DCA. I could live with an Iron Man ride in Tomorrowland if it's well done, but hopefully anything else they build goes to DCA.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Minion

This is probably what would happen if Disney's America ever came to fruition--Disney seems to be so concerned with merchandising opportunities these days that I wouldn't see it any other way. Marvel sells, American history doesn't. Captain America seems like a natural fit, but I'm sure they'd find ways to fit other Marvel properties into the American settings. It would probably be more desirable to do that rather than shoehorning them into the original parks, since people are obviously up in arms over that concept.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Universal licensed the Marvel characters for their parks before Disney purchased it, and once Disney purchased it they have to honor all contracts that were signed before then, including the one that allows Universal to have Marvel in their parks. So unless Universal decided to opt out (and has the right to even do that under the contract), Marvel is going to stay at Universal no matter what Disney does. I've also heard on here that the contract prohibits anyone else from building a Marvel ride in Florida, so (if this is true) even though Disney owns Marvel they are legally prohibited from building a Marvel ride at Walt Disney World.

Bottom line is that Disney didn't spend billions of dollars to acquire Marvel out of the goodness of their heart. They need to recoup all of that money and a lot more, and if it's true that they can't build Marvel rides in Florida, then it's coming to Disneyland no matter what. I just hope it's not too intrusive, and that most of it says at DCA. I could live with an Iron Man ride in Tomorrowland if it's well done, but hopefully anything else they build goes to DCA.
    Thanks for this explanation. Now it makes a little more sense, even though I still think Disneyland (the original park) is not the place for Marvel.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

so even though WDW has more space for a marvel park they would never get it , so that's good news for the DLR! For a 3rd gate!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    johnlawwhiskey, you need to look into the concept of licensing.
    Because what I do in my spare time is study licensing laws, seriously, the average person doesn't know that kind of stuff.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Because what I do in my spare time is study licensing laws, seriously, the average person doesn't know that kind of stuff.
    And yet you feel qualified to speak of the situation. Marvel made a deal and Disney cannot change that. The deal has its conditions, its fees and it is perpetual.Universal will continue to pay Marvel the likely small fee they have payed since the 1990s and Disney will just have to suck it up and deal with it.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    And yet you feel qualified to speak of the situation. Marvel made a deal and Disney cannot change that. The deal has its conditions, its fees and it is perpetual.Universal will continue to pay Marvel the likely small fee they have payed since the 1990s and Disney will just have to suck it up and deal with it.
    I never said I was qualified, I said repeatedly "my opinion" and "my point". I never said I was a legal expert.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I never said I was qualified, I said repeatedly "my opinion" and "my point". I never said I was a legal expert.
    I agree, you're fine. Some people just take these boards wayyyyyy, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more seriously than others.

Whatever they do they need Marvel at Disneyland ASAP. Disney's #1 movie draws will bring a badly needed park demographic as apposed to dated Disney princesses and Pixar that's run out of steam as a sequel/toy advertisement machine. Along with Star Wars, I can't wait for the new direction Disneyland attractions will take.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12