The Future State of Tomorrowland

With all the rumors swirling around about the future of Tomorrowland, why has all the talk been about Marvel and Star Wars? Lots of people seem to think that these properties will have a larger presence in the parks in the near future, at the expense of the 'tomorrow' theme.

I'm not so sure about that. Especially when Disney has been developing a film actually titled Tomorrowland. For some reason, it doesn't seem to come up too often around here (maybe it has, I don't read everything). There are some big names attached - George Clooney, Brad Bird, Damon Lindelof - but much of its production has been kept under wraps. I'm grateful for a little mystique, in a time where the internet and trailers can spoil whole films before they're even out. All we've really gotten so far is a photo of a box with seemingly random artifacts to which we can only guess their significance, the idea of an alternate reality (which I'm guessing is where Tomorrowland is), and a vague plot - "a high school girl with an unconventional understanding of technology who is launched on a journey to reclaim her future."

I don't particularly support movie tie-ins, but I see this as a pretty unique situation. The park has obviously inspired the movie, and in turn, I think the movie can come back and influence the park. Tomorrowland, the land, has long lost its sense of direction, and if done well I think the movie can provide it with a unified theme. I'm not saying make a dark ride that follows the plot to a tee, like most movie tie-ins seem to do. Rather, use the film as a basic infrastructure for the whole land, as far as design and character go, and build attractions based on that. Handle them with the same sense of mystique that they've given the movie so far.

Yes, lately there have been cases where Disney has been cashing in on certain franchises at the expense of creativity. But there have also been bright spots - Buena Vista Street is an example. If their plan for Tomorrowland was to replace it all with Marvel and Star Wars, I don't believe that they'd give this big budget film a green light. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, maybe I'm missing something, but until they announce differently, I think the future is bright (and original) for Tomorrowland.

• Singing Drinker

Re: The Future State of Tomorrowland

Presence of a film in production has no relation to the future of an attraction or area, unfortunately - just ask the Country Bears.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Down Pluto!

Re: The Future State of Tomorrowland

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    With all the rumors swirling around about the future of Tomorrowland, why has all the talk been about Marvel and Star Wars?
    Fanboys. Need I say more?

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.