Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is this good news or bad news for DL?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ...CM pay that starts lower than In-N'-Out Burger...
    In-N'-Out is a privately held company allowing it to focus on long term goals.
    In-N'-Out Burger seems to follow rules of "training and guest experience" that originally made Disneyland a success.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    In-N'-Out is a privately held company allowing it to focus on long term goals.
    In-N'-Out Burger seems to follow rules of "training and guest experience" that originally made Disneyland a success.
    No question being privately held helps tremendously (I work for a not-for-profit company and I can tell you that it's night and day compared to working for Disney), but I truly believe Disney is big enough and influential enough that they could do the same thing and dictate to Wall St. that they are going to work that way (focus on training and guest experience), rather then Wall St. dictating to them that they have to increase profits every quarter over the last quarter by any means necessary.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Little Green Man

I'm not crazy about the (potential) implications for the parks of this line by Iger:

“We’re removing vestigial parts.”

how does Disney rate when compared to Walmart in terms of pay for typical first and second line employees on just the service side?

how does Disney rate on the entertainment/performance side compared to other companies? again just the Disneyland/WDW cast members, not the box office names.

• Former Churro Jockey

I don't know what it's like today, but when I worked there in the 90's the pay was atrocious (I started at $5.50/hr in 1996, which was something like $0.15 above minimum at the time), but we did at least have a top-of-the-line benefits plan, so that would be hugely different from Walmart. Also Disney is unionized (which might account for the great benefits plan). The entertainment people don't get paid much with the exception of the face characters in the park (Cinderella, Snow White, etc.). In fact, I believe that I was paid more in ODV then Mickey Mouse believe it or not. Also, the people who work in the parades have a short term contract, and get let go at the end of the contract (so like the Christmas parade for example only lasts from November - January, so all of those people are let go once the parade is over).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Down Pluto!

No corporation can survive for long when hemorrhaging from the top. However that is the "free market" form of extreme capitalism rampant in America today. Siphon all you can from the company in the way of salaries and Mega-bonuses until the goose is no longer capable of laying anymore golden eggs, then sell the company to unsuspecting investors based on past performance. Or worse - just let it die, increase unemployment and all the downward cascading effects with that.

As a Disney shareholder, I'd settle for a modest growth if it meant getting rid of tangentially-related acquisitions (like ESPN), lowering executive board salaries and bonuses, as well as focusing on making ALL customers happy - not just the rich ones.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

As a Disney shareholder, I'd settle for a modest growth if it meant getting rid of tangentially-related acquisitions (like ESPN), lowering executive board salaries and bonuses, as well as focusing on making ALL customers happy - not just the rich ones.
    Align with like minded individuals, and make your voices heard via your voting rights. Put a board in place who shares those thoughs, etc.

• world class bilge rat

I agree with some of the others here; the quickest way to cut the most expense would be to grossly cut executive compensation, not the small stuff they're going after.

But that will never happen, just about every corporation of any size is run by a gang of money-grubbing greedmongers who care about exactly one thing.....their own paychecks.

The Disney Company seems to be one of the worst in this respect, beginning with when the Eisner regime transformed DL (and others) into not much more than a cash-cow.

Yep, no doubt about it; we're in for an even worse decline in overall park experience in order to boost corporate profit.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Align with like minded individuals, and make your voices heard via your voting rights. Put a board in place who shares those thoughs, etc.
    It is extremely likely that the number of shares "like minded individuals" hold would not even come close to the number of shares Iger gets awarded as a bonus each year. Money (shares) talks - and you know what walks...

Clearly they have enough shares to keep whatever board they want safe, secure, and well paid.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Just more proof that not calling them the Strategic Planning Group but leaving them in charge was not a plan for genuine change.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    Great point Nonsuch. I'd add that In-N'-Out also has high standards when it comes to the workers they hire, something the DLR used to do back when they were paying CM's a little better.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    how does Disney rate when compared to Walmart in terms of pay for typical first and second line employees on just the service side?

how does Disney rate on the entertainment/performance side compared to other companies? again just the Disneyland/WDW cast members, not the box office names.
    I can't seem to find an actual contract for Disneyland, but looking at Disneyworld's contract for various jobs, the pay is pretty low, granted it will be higher in California due to a higher min. wage.

http://www.uniteherelocal737.org/wp-...10-to-2014.pdf

Wal-Mart pay varies store to store, region to region depending on local job markets, in So. California its usually around 9.00/hr if you have zero work experience, if you have work experience you can be paid a bit more.

In 2003 when I was working for Target, I was offered 10.60 by Wal-Mart (was making 6.75 at Target) and in Canada Wal-Mart offered me 13.75/hr.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 07-21-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Just tells me he must be on vacation, it is summer time after all, a traditional time to take vacation for millions of Americans.
    Nope, not on vacation but attending a conference that happens each year in Sun Valley.

Media Moguls Flock to Sun Valley for Allen & Co. Conference

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Just tells me he must be on vacation, it is summer time after all, a traditional time to take vacation for millions of Americans.
    He was at a conference trying to convince investors to buy stock.
    Why? So the price of his shares go up. So it's harder for another corporation to buy Disney and thus he'd lose his job.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    It is extremely likely that the number of shares "like minded individuals" hold would not even come close to the number of shares Iger gets awarded as a bonus each year. Money (shares) talks - and you know what walks...

Clearly they have enough shares to keep whatever board they want safe, secure, and well paid.
    You have the choice not to own the shares.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast