Question Pinocchio Is Still Wood At The End...

Here's a simple question, but without a logical explanation.

When riding the Pinocchio attraction, you see where Pinocchio is a wooden boy...make sense. However, in the end, when you see the Blue Fairy magically change (or supposed to change) the little wooden boy into a real boy, it doesn't happen. Because if you notice, Pinocchio is sitting on the bed STILL a wooden boy as Geppetto reacts excitedly over "the change"...which there is none.

Can someone, anyone, explain this to me?

• Minion

Re: Pinocchio Is Still Wood At The End...

ORWEN: We can!! Tony Baxter explained this many years ago during an NFFC Convention that was held in 1985.

ORDDU: During a panel discussion, Tony said the Imagineers were afraid that Pinocchio's look as a human might be misunderstood by guests who either hadn't seen the movie, first, or else had forgotten about it. So they decided to keep Pinocchio's final look consistent with the way he appeared for the rest of the attraction. You could argue that this is an insult to the intelligence of the average guest.

ORWEN: At the same time you gotta admit that a lot of guests don't think that deep when doing attractions. So maybe the Imagineers were right to do what they did.

• Minion

Also, the main focus of the attraction is Pinocchio's journey. It was decided that the celebration at the end of the attraction would be focused on Pinocchio's return home from his journey and not that he has become a real boy to keep the focus on the journey itself.

• formerly very helpful

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a cast member years ago about a very similar thing. I asked about Beast, who looked like a monster, instead of a prince at Disneyland. I pointed out about all he went through, the curse, earning Belle's love, and so on, and how he earned back his human appearance. I commented that it was unfair that he'd be turned back into a Beast. To that, the cast member answered: "Whoever said magic is fair?"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    This reminds me of a conversation I had with a cast member years ago about a very similar thing. I asked about Beast, who looked like a monster, instead of a prince at Disneyland. I pointed out about all he went through, the curse, earning Belle's love, and so on, and how he earned back his human appearance. I commented that it was unfair that he'd be turned back into a Beast. To that, the cast member answered: "Whoever said magic is fair?"
    Prince Adam got a Shadow Crystal. Like Midna figured when Link was freed from the wolf curse put on him, it might be useful to take on Beast form now and again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: During a panel discussion, Tony said the Imagineers were afraid that Pinocchio's look as a human might be misunderstood by guests who either hadn't seen the movie, first, or else had forgotten about it. So they decided to keep Pinocchio's final look consistent with the way he appeared for the rest of the attraction. You could argue that this is an insult to the intelligence of the average guest.
    LOL. It's too ridiculous to believe in my opinion. Then again you don't see Snow White actually wake up from her sleeping death in the Scary Adventures ride. Maybe they will change this and get a transformation effect in should they update the ride for the 60th.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

Pinocchio is still wood at the end because Disneyland rides are their own entertainment forms. Like Mr. Toad, they can and should take liberties with the films that inspired them, rather than being paint-by-number clones (like the Little Mermaid ride).
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

You know, I can actually see how guests would be confused if they didn't know the film, etc. At the end P still comes back from the dead so he gets his magic happy ending.

• Disneyland History Lover

Given that the Blue Fairy is in the ride and seemingly turns Pinocchio into a real boy, it would make sense that he'd no longer be made of wood at the end. It makes it more confusing that he's NOT a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    Given that the Blue Fairy is in the ride and seemingly turns Pinocchio into a real boy, it would make sense that he'd no longer be made of wood at the end. It makes it more confusing that he's NOT a boy.
    Thank you, Princess Victoria, for your most logical response! If Disney didn't want the attraction to be completely consistent with the film, then why not take out the Blue Fairy? Having her there only re-confirms that the wooden boy would now be real. And isn't the entire story of Pinocchio based on the fact that he wants to be a real boy?

I'm sorry, but Tony Baxter messed this one up! I sure hope if/when Disney does all the upgrades and changes to the Fantasyland attractions for the 60th anniversary, that Pinocchio finally becomes a real boy!

• Evil is Sexy

I always thought he was going to be a real boy, we just never get to see the transformation. We leave Gepetto and his child before we see it occur.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Minion

ORDDU: I'm not ready to agree with anyone who says that Tony Baxter 'messed this one up' because it most likely wasn't his decision, alone, to keep Pinocchio as a puppet at the end. It would have been a collaborative decision. He was merely the person who explained what he knew about it at a convention. Also, whoever did make the final decision about all this has a good point. Many guests aren't as knowlegeable about the movie so would very likely have more questions at the end of the ride if Pinocchio was a real boy.

ORWEN: Then, again, you could always argue that the confusion at the end with Pinocchio shown as a real boy might inspire guests to finally go watch the movie and get all their questions answered as a result! Who knows?

ORGOCH: Got termites?
    Last edited by Witches of Morva; 07-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.

• Minion

Personally I think its either A) a mistake or B) they already had a model of a wooden Pinocchio so used that because it was cheaper. I really doubt it was a decision to contribute to the story of the attraction.

I may be wrong but doesn't Geppetto say something about Pinocchio being a real boy at the end of the attraction?

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Also, the main focus of the attraction is Pinocchio's journey. It was decided that the celebration at the end of the attraction would be focused on Pinocchio's return home from his journey and not that he has become a real boy to keep the focus on the journey itself.
    This makes sense.

Each of the Fantasyland dark rides focuses on a distinct story line and a very specific tone. In the case of Pinocchio's Daring Journey, it isn't about his moral journey to becoming a real boy (this particular plot point is never mentioned), it's about his physical journey through various settings and the adventures he has along the way. At the ride's end, Geppetto is actually celebrating Pinocchio's return home, not his change into a real boy ("Pinocchio's home! This calls for a celebration!"), which presents a resolution to what we have been experiencing as the rider.

I can see how the Blue Fairy's inclusion may seem a little odd--this does seem to imply some sort of magical change for those who are familiar with the Pinocchio story--but I think her presence is easily explained as being somewhat of a guardian angel for Pinocchio. She oversaw his (and, by extension, our) journey to home (even intervening to set us free from Stromboli's cage) and is bidding us farewell now that we have safely reached our destination, resolving the conflict of the ride (that being the multiple dangers of this "daring journey").
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-08-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    Thank you, Princess Victoria, for your most logical response! If Disney didn't want the attraction to be completely consistent with the film, then why not take out the Blue Fairy? Having her there only re-confirms that the wooden boy would now be real. And isn't the entire story of Pinocchio based on the fact that he wants to be a real boy?

I'm sorry, but Tony Baxter messed this one up! I sure hope if/when Disney does all the upgrades and changes to the Fantasyland attractions for the 60th anniversary, that Pinocchio finally becomes a real boy!
    "Tony Baxter messed this one up!" ......

Fan Boys unite! Tony makes NO mistakes!