Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,395

    New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    The number one complaint about Tomorrowland and the number one issue with updating it is that practically by the time it is built it no longer represents our current vision of the future. The original Tomorrowland focused on commercial space flight (which is actually going to be come a reality next year) and the power of science to solve all of mankind's problems. As it turns out, science (such as pollution, which may be misapplied science or just science too cheaply done) seems to create just as many (if not more) problems then it solves. So the next vision of Tomorrowland focused on alternative forms of transportation, and tried to present the idea of a harmonious future without pollution or gridlock. Subsequently, Disneyland Paris is built, and their Tomorrowland goes in a completely different direction, and presents "the future that never was and always will be." It focuses on the visions of the future that people like Jules Verne and Leonardo Da Vinci had. That Tomorrowland was wildly successful, so in 1998 they tried to bring that idea to Disneyland, but they tried to do it with a super tight budget, and instead created the worst e-ticket in the history of DL, and they also painted Space Mountain "diarrhea brown" because apparently that's retro-futuristic. Partly because the 98 redo was a massive failure, and partly because it's been 15 years already, a new Tomorrowland is (hopefully) on the horizon. There is a lot of speculation that Disney wants to give up on the idea of presenting the future, and instead will just go with futuristic types of things such as an Iron Man roller coaster, Tron cycles, and of course, more Star Wars stuff. However, I think there are some really good (and relatively accurate) visions of the future that would be worth presenting. Here are my ideas for possible new concepts in Tomorrowland, and the movie or TV show it comes from:

    1. Continuum - part of this show takes place in the year 2071, and there transportation is provided by unmanned drones that have been expanded to seat up to four people. You hop in, enter your destination into the GPS, and it flies you there. This is what I would love to see them use the old People Mover track for. The tricky part would be to make the ride look like it's flying when it's really not. But you're already above Tomorrowland anyway so it seems doable to me. They should bank the turns but keep the ride slow enough that anyone can go on it. It would basically be the People Mover again but look futuristic.

    2. Minority Report - in this movie, advertisements and store fronts had optical scanners in them that scanned every single person's retina as they passed by, and then presented personalized 5-second sales pitches to them as they walked by (Mr. Smith, there are a pair of khaki's on sale today that would match the sweater you purchased last month perfectly!). Download a smartphone app, allow it to track your location, and various robots (props in stores, waiting in line for rides, even the occasional trashcan) will say hi to you as you walk by.

    3. Sphere / Halo / Prometheus - In Sphere, massive ancient alien spaceship was discovered on the floor of the ocean, and it had been there for thousands of years, and turned out (spoiler alert!) to be a human spacecraft. In the Halo video games, humanity existed a hundred thousands years ago and was way advanced technologically, but due to a zombie-like parasite called the Flood that eventually overtook mankind, all sentient life in the galaxy was destroyed (thereby destroying the Flood's food and starving the to death), but specimens of each species were saved in a spaceship called the Ark that was located outside of the galaxy in order to repopulate each species. In Prometheus, the same cave drawing was discovered to have been carved by different civilizations all over the world that had no contact with each other and were thousands of years apart. So, the submarine voyage is re themed so that you are following clues from underwater archaeological artifacts that point to an alien craft under the ocean. The final scene were the polar ice cap used to be would be the alien spaceship instead. It would have a very mildly creepy feel to it and an intense moment or two, but would be no scarier then the Haunted Mansion. The basic story of the ride would be that ancient civilizations somehow knew about this, and there was a specific hieroglyph that you had to look for on various underwater artifacts from different civilizations that pointed to the location of the craft. When you finally found the craft, you would discover that it seemed to have a human origins (or a combination of human and alien), but the storyline would be unresolved.

    4. iRobot - in this future, cars drive themselves, and it is illegal for the average citizen to drive a car themselves. Autopia can be rethemed to a super-long E-ticket ride based on the idea of a car that drives itself but then malfunctions and takes you on a wild crazy ride (kind of Big Thunder meets Test Track) through the City of the Future (with several nods to past Tomorrowland attractions such as the People Mover and House of the Future).

    5. Star Wars mini-land - Take the Star Trader and the old Starcade, Pizza Port, and Innoventions and give all of them a Star Wars theme. Yes, Space Mountain is right in the middle of all of that, and it would be a little awkward (and no, I would not want Space Mountain to get a Star Wars theme). Maybe they could move the entrance so that it's behind the Hatmosphere and outside of the Star Wars mini-land. Keep the Star Trader more or less the way it is (maybe make the aisles a little more roomy and expand the build-your-own-lightsaber thing which always looks super crowded), only get rid of the downstairs arcades and expand the store even more. Upstairs could be the new Jedi Training Acadamy. Innoventions would be removed, and Pizza Port would be expanded to become the Mos Eisley cantina, complete with live bands (even guest bands like TT has now) dressed as aliens. There would also be a large, dedicated "functional" space for temporary exhibits that would be used to bring the super popular Star Wars Weekends to Disneyland, among other things. Tomorrowland Terrace would lose the Jedi Training Acadamy but gain a robot DJ (much like Cosmic Ray's at WDW) and continue to be a fun dance spot for teens at night.

    So let's play a little bit of armchair imagineering. What would you like to see that would be a mix of original ideas (maybe inspired by other movies or TV shows) and ideas based on franchises like Tron or Star Wars?
    Last edited by Big D; 07-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  2. #2

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    14

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Im tired of the "ride the movies" or "ride the tv show" concept.

    I'd love for Disney executives to put their heads together and come up with some original and unique ideas about the future. What new technologies or transportation will mankind be benefitting from 10, 50 or 100 years from now? What will life be like? A company like Disney must have a massive capacity for research and development.

    They can then apply the resulting ideas as rides, shows and exhibits in Tomorrowland. It doesn't all have to be E-ticket rides. Creative shows or exhibits can be fun, educational and interesting all at once.

    Give me a reason to go to the park. Don't give me something based on a movie I can buy on DVD. Because then I'd just watch the DVD rather than travel 400 miles and spend a bunch of money.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    los angeles, ca.
    Posts
    256

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    redesign it based on disney's tomorrowland that's coming out next year.

  4. #4

    • Singing Drinker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,061

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    I'm also a fan of them leaving movies and TV shows behind on this one.

    I know I'm going to eventually have to deal with a "Tomorrowland" awash in TV cartoon ride clones and tie ins to inferior movies with hopefully better thought out rides. But I can dream of a Tomorrowland that's actually "Tomorrow" - Tomorrowland as intergalactic space hub with rides set up as "trips and adventures" from the port (hey, I'll even allow Buzz Lightyear for this one - interdimensional travel ahoy!). Tomorrowland as an optimistic Earthbound future from a thousand years ahead.

    But yeah, I'm hoping for something like that but expecting the My Little Pony/Star Wars "Buzz Lightyear's Naboo Cantina Starshine is LOVE!" spinner ride.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

  5. #5

    • Disneyland History Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chula Vista, CA
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    The number one complaint about Tomorrowland and the number one issue with updating it is that practically by the time it is built it no longer represents our current vision of the future. The original Tomorrowland focused on commercial space flight (which is actually going to be come a reality next year) and the power of science to solve all of mankind's problems.
    The premise that Tomorrowland is outdated as soon as you update it is one that has never made much logical sense to me. TL '67 lasted as long as it did based on the idea that a visually stunning and kinetic utopia was something that did not/had not happened by the time it was changed. When I think futuristic, I still think of modern and Googie architecture and what TL used to look like. In fact, I'd argue that TL in its current form looks less futuristic than it did before it was changed in the '90s. Granted, my vision of the future is relative, but I think it's a safe bet that for most people hoping for a modern and peaceful future, their thoughts are probably more in line with old TL than the current one.

    I think my line of thinking is also supported by your notion that commercial space flight will become reality next year. Was it reality after Disneyland was built? No, we are just now getting it 58 years later.

  6. #6

    • A Happy Haunt
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    136

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    redesign it based on disney's tomorrowland that's coming out next year.
    Do you know what it's all about? Might not fit.

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson510 View Post
    Im tired of the "ride the movies" or "ride the tv show" concept.

    I'd love for Disney executives to put their heads together and come up with some original and unique ideas about the future. What new technologies or transportation will mankind be benefitting from 10, 50 or 100 years from now? What will life be like? A company like Disney must have a massive capacity for research and development.

    They can then apply the resulting ideas as rides, shows and exhibits in Tomorrowland. It doesn't all have to be E-ticket rides. Creative shows or exhibits can be fun, educational and interesting all at once.

    Give me a reason to go to the park. Don't give me something based on a movie I can buy on DVD. Because then I'd just watch the DVD rather than travel 400 miles and spend a bunch of money.


  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    354

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    I think specific movie references will date - look at EPCOT and the energy ride or the current imagination.

    If the current tomorrowland had used a movie overlay it would be based on x files or the matrix neither of which are very mainstream today.

    I think some of the ideas are good - driverless cars, smartphone tie ins but I'd like to see them combined in their own unique view of tomorrow rather than as movie tie in

  9. #9

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    44

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    I would create a space time travel ride . And not just the forseeable future, but perhaps the end of our solar system, then the end of our galaxy. Dare I say the end of the universe? And then in the utter blackness , there is a second big bang. Kinda of like the hayden planetarium show, where it takes you from the big bang to the present.

  10. #10

    • No Disassemble!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    791

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Two words... Demolition Man!
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Troutdale, Oregon
    Posts
    376

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Big D, you keep right on thinkin'. I don't know many of your references but I would go on all your rides. If I had an amusement park, I'd give you a job, even. The chihuahua tells me that he can't wait for the driverless cars...he can finally pretend he's really driving! (But would there be a drive-thru restaurant?)
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    260

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    The fewer IP's in Tomorrowland, the better.

  13. #13

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    The premise that Tomorrowland is outdated as soon as you update it is one that has never made much logical sense to me. TL '67 lasted as long as it did based on the idea that a visually stunning and kinetic utopia was something that did not/had not happened by the time it was changed. When I think futuristic, I still think of modern and Googie architecture and what TL used to look like. In fact, I'd argue that TL in its current form looks less futuristic than it did before it was changed in the '90s. Granted, my vision of the future is relative, but I think it's a safe bet that for most people hoping for a modern and peaceful future, their thoughts are probably more in line with old TL than the current one.

    I think my line of thinking is also supported by your notion that commercial space flight will become reality next year. Was it reality after Disneyland was built? No, we are just now getting it 58 years later.
    When I say that it's outdated, I mean that our future didn't turn out anything like that. Some things like the all plastic house never happened and never will, and other things like Mission to the Moon or Mission to Mars may still happen one day, but space travel being available to the general public where it's just like buying an airline ticket isn't going to happen in my lifetime. The original Tomorrowland (including Mission to the Moon) was supposed to represent the future 30 years down the line, and that future never happened. So that's what I mean when I say outdated.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  14. #14

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Big D, you keep right on thinkin'. I don't know many of your references but I would go on all your rides. If I had an amusement park, I'd give you a job, even. The chihuahua tells me that he can't wait for the driverless cars...he can finally pretend he's really driving! (But would there be a drive-thru restaurant?)
    Thanks! But I don't want a job working for someone else, I want to be in charge!!! My dream actually is to buy a small amusement park when I retire (something like Kennywood Amusement Park). But I wouldn't be building rides like this unless they're dramatically less expensive.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  15. #15

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: New Tomorrowland concepts based on futuristic movies and tv shows

    Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I think specific movie references will date - look at EPCOT and the energy ride or the current imagination.

    If the current tomorrowland had used a movie overlay it would be based on x files or the matrix neither of which are very mainstream today.

    I think some of the ideas are good - driverless cars, smartphone tie ins but I'd like to see them combined in their own unique view of tomorrow rather than as movie tie in
    I wasn't saying that the rides would reference the movies and TV shows specifically. For one thing, Disney doesn't own the rights to any of the ones that I mentioned. I just mean that the concept is inspired by those shows, just like everything in Disneyland is inspired by something that already exists.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
  2. My proposal for a new Tomorrowland
    By Mr_Incredible in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
  3. Universal Citywalk free movies and live music check it out....
    By Crazy Legs in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
  4. So a new guy walks into a micechat forum and...
    By johnatthebar in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 09:45 PM
  5. New Tomorrowland: 2007
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •