Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: AT&T Becomes New Wireless Provider For Disneyland Resort

File this under "who cares". Another Disney cashgrab? Not shocking.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well I have AT&T...so yeah for free Wi Fi....hopefully one day everyone will get it no matter who you have as a carrier
    What do you think this is? San Francisco????

But seriously, now that Steve Jobs is gone Google should really make a push to get themselves involved with the parks.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    So they're upgrading their coverage in the park for everyone with Verizon or AT&T while all others are left with the same horrible in park 3G coverage?
    My wife and I were at DLR on Saturday night and I noticed that I was able to pick up an LTE signal from Sprint on my Galaxy S3. So at least they are making some improvements in the area as well. Not sure about Tmobile since I don't know anyone that uses them.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by philosofy View Post
    My wife and I were at DLR on Saturday night and I noticed that I was able to pick up an LTE signal from Sprint on my Galaxy S3. So at least they are making some improvements in the area as well. Not sure about Tmobile since I don't know anyone that uses them.
    Most LTE towers are shared among-st the four big carriers. 3G people get screwed however.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Most LTE towers are shared among-st the four big carriers. 3G people get screwed however.
    They may physically share the same towers, but they don't share the same network upgrades. In fact Sprint is behind the other three big carriers in terms of LTE coverage. And here in San Diego, I live in Mira Mesa, a lot of Sprint towers have upgraded 3G capacity but not LTE yet because AT&T is dragging their feet on providing upgraded fiber backhaul for a lot of the towers that have 4G equipment installed but subscribers can't take advantage of it without a bigger pipe from the towers to the outside world. I work for Qualcomm and deal with this kind of stuff on a daily basis.

I had a lot of fun a couple years ago when my friends were bragging about their amzing fancy iPhones. Then we entered the park gates and suddenly, their batteries were draining and their phones were unusable. "What's wrong with your amazing phone guys? My T-mobile blackberry is full bars and working great."

• Master of Disaster

I don't chime in often but I feel the need to now. I have been an ATT subscriber for 14 years now. The problems I have had with service are always during the same sort of situation. Disneyland on a 65000+ attendance day, Galaxy game on a sold out (30,000) game, ect. What this has always said to me is that ATT has the most people on their network and sometimes in certain locations their network gets saturated. However they have this app for android (not sure of iphone) called mark the spot which you use to notify them of service issues. I am sure plenty of people made note of DL on a crowded day and they wanted to update their service anyway... I have my fingers crossed now for ATT wifi hotspots to start popping up in the park! Also something to note is that ATT wifi hotspots have traditionally been at your local starbucks location. I sense some big time synergy with the three companies!

• Master of Disaster

remember that whole corporations working together thing i was talking about a minute ago? forget I said anything.

Starbucks Replaces AT&T With Google as WiFi Provider - Forbes

• Mrs. J. Depp

Does this mean they'll also pick up sponsorship for some attractions? There are still remnants of their previous sponsorship in the Indiana Jones queue.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeDepot14 View Post
    So they're upgrading their coverage in the park for everyone with Verizon or AT&T while all others are left with the same horrible in park 3G coverage?
    Your sig pic perfectly describes the emotion you must be feeling lol
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

There is free Disney WiFi in all parks. The SSID when we were there in March was "Disney-Guest" and was reported on most Disney sites. Here is one link:
    Internet Access on Vacation at Disney World

It appears to be Aruba equipment based on MAC addresses I scanned, very nice. I got signals in about 90% of MK, DHS, and Epcot (in the other 10% my wife objected to me doing anything that looked like work).

WiFi is considered a "best effort" transport so you may or may not get a decent connection. A LOT of environmental factors will affect coverage and signal strength. At least with phones you have the FCC requiring carriers to provide service (within their rules and the carriers' licensed coverage areas). That means that if you are in a Disney park and are having problems with your data signal (not WiFi) then you can call your carrier and they can get data from your phone which tracks GPS location and signal strength. They will use that info to determine whether to add more towers or to reposition them. If you complain that you can't get a signal in a remote area of the country then they may not do anything but I would think Disney parks get their attention. I use US Cellular but only have a 3G phone and I was able to get 3G in most areas. It was draining my battery so I had to use my USB battery pack if we were out a long time.

Tmobile is not not very good at Disneyland. My data just stops working anytime the park is remotely crowded while my Verizon and AT&T friends keep on using their phones.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123