Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

AT&T Becomes New Wireless Provider For Disneyland Resort

AT&T is now the OFFICIAL Wireless Provider for Disney Parks to boost service.

If you’re an AT&T wireless subscriber, here’s great news if you’re at the Magic Kingdom and trying to upload your iPhone video of Splash Mountain to YouTube while you share some Instagram photos of Mickey with your friends on Facebook, too.

AT&T and Disney Parks today announced that the wireless provider would be the official wireless company for Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.
    The agreement will bring a lot of branding and marketing endeavors, of course, but it also will have a very real technological effect for AT&T users in the theme parks here in Orlando and in California.

Those include: Ten cell sites across Walt Disney World Resort; more than 25 distributed antenna systems to increase wireless capacity; more than 350 so-called “small cells” to extend network connectivity; and more than 40 repeaters to boost the mobile performance for both guests and Disney cast members.
    According to today’s announcement, the agreement also will see AT&T acting as a sponsor of Disney-created soccer and runDisney events at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The pact also will be use by both companies to educate consumers about the dangers of texting while driving.
    Also, Disney cast members will use new mobile devices and the enhanced network capabilities as part of their interaction with park guests, the release stated.
    Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, said she was excited about the agreement.
    "This alliance joins two companies that share a commitment to providing quality experiences,” Crofton stated in the release, “and we look forward to the collaboration as we continue to leverage technology to enhance the experience for our guests."
    In addition to touting AT&T’s 4G LTE network, the release also pointed out that AT&T was named America's fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine's 2013 “Fastest Mobile Networks” 30-market study.

Source: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...0,520333.story
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Minion

Re: AT&T Becomes New Wireless Provider For Disneyland Resort

Since when was AT&T a quality product and when has their service ever been part of a positive experience?

• No Disassemble!

I've never had a complaint about my Verizon service in the resort. I guess I would be jealous if AT&T was giving free wi-fi to its customers but this just seems like they're opening up the data pipelines to accelerate usage and seemingly make a profit from it.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

So what exactly does this mean? Free WiFi for AT&T customers or just better signals?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I've never had a complaint about my Verizon service in the resort. I guess I would be jealous if AT&T was giving free wi-fi to its customers but this just seems like they're opening up the data pipelines to accelerate usage and seemingly make a profit from it.
    What phone are you using? I used to barely even be able to get on with my Thunderbolt. Droid DNA is better, but I still have some issues. I haven't been since November. We will be there in 2 weeks. Hoping it has gotten better.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    What phone are you using? I used to barely even be able to get on with my Thunderbolt. Droid DNA is better, but I still have some issues. I haven't been since November. We will be there in 2 weeks. Hoping it has gotten better.
    Galaxy S3. I used to have an Incredible and it was pretty slow on Verizon so I got the Galaxy when 4G LTE came out. Been much better since.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    So what exactly does this mean? Free WiFi for AT&T customers or just better signals?
    It sounds like AT&T is going to upgrade their phone and wireless data network (3G/4G). They'll also expand their capacity so that thousands of people at once can access the internet without lag. It also looks like CM's are going to get some upgrades i.e. new devices like tablets for customer survey CM's and probably some new blackberry's for the suits.
    Last edited by G24T; 07-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    It sounds like AT&T is going to upgrade their phone and wireless data network (3G/4G). They'll also expand their capacity so that thousands of people at once can access the internet without lag. It also looks like CM's are going to get some upgrades i.e. new devices like tablets for customer survey CM's and probably some new blackberry's for the suits.
    You might note in the near future cast members have gone from the "Magical Blackberries" to "Magical iPhones" in the last 30 days.

That said, we were with a CM a couple weeks ago, and he was trying to access something online on the iPhone, with ATT, and it was sad as I got it first on my iPhone with Verizon....
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Used my Iphone 3, AT&T phone in the parks -- and DLH -- last May without any problems FWIW.

• A Happy Haunt

Will they also be partnering with the RFID fast pass technology?

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    Will they also be partnering with the RFID fast pass technology?
    Not unless Disney is already using AT&T to power their network infrastructure.

• Senior Minion

From DailyTech, Nov. 30, 2012:

AT&T's "Winning" Streak: Rated Worst in Customer Satisfaction Three Years Running

Each year, Consumer Reports ranks all manner of U.S. wireless carriers based on customer satisfaction in a number of different categories. AT&T ranked dead last in the customer satisfaction survey for the third year in a row. It was hit with the worst rankings for any major carrier in value, voice quality, and customer support.

However, the wireless carrier was ranked at the top of Consumer Reports' 4G network ratings. AT&T's customers complained of the least 4G-related problems of subscribers on any of the services.

Verizon Wireless has the largest 4G-LTE network in the United States with service in over 400 markets. AT&T's coverage is much smaller serving only 100 markets, while Sprint is much further down the list with only 40 4G LTE markets in the US.

Verizon once again took the top spot in overall rankings for major carriers in the U.S., outscoring second-place Sprint by six points in the Consumer Reports survey. T-Mobile landed in third place with AT&T a bit behind.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MaliBOOMer

What a bummer. Although never have had any problem with Sprint while at DLR so I don't need the boost AT&T customers will get.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• No Disassemble!

A notable takeaway from this is that AT&T is going to make a lot of money on data overages. If guests feel more confident that their photos/videos, tweets, and Facebook posts are getting out there in a timely manner they'll do it more often. Note that AT&T is already known for such tactics. The incident surrounding iphone & app updates eating up customer's data remains unresolved.

• Minion

Meh, I wish they could just put free wi-fi in the parks and be done with it. But that's never going to happen, especially now.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Shame it couldn't have been Verizon. Been happy with them for 15 years now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast