Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Not sure how the Lone Ranger comparison even fits here. The imagineers don't make the Disney movies. Also Avatar wasn't made by Disney as well. Given the type of person Cameron is I am sure this will be carefully planned out and executed. If they don't let him do that then it will never happen IMO.
    Lone Ranger should serve as a lesson to all sections of the entertainment industry that a bunch of big names thrown together plus a well calculated marketing strategy will not make a great product.

• Minion

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    awesome can't wait to see the sneak previews!
    They're not previews, they're "teasers".

•   
    • Minion

^ ok teasers or perhaps ill refer to them as preview lol... you missed the point of I cant wait to see the items or product or whatever label we want to call it that we haven't seen before.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Lone Ranger should serve as a lesson to all sections of the entertainment industry that a bunch of big names thrown together plus a well calculated marketing strategy will not make a great product.
    Except that Avatar has found an audience and proven to be a sucessful film. You don't become the highest grossing film of all time just purely based on hype. It has fans and the world that Cameron created can translate well to theme parks.

• film975

It seems like Disney executives are the only ones who really want this to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the official announcement for Avatarland at the D23 Expo is meet with a lot of boos and such. I mean... seriously. The majority of the D23 Expo's audience are die-hard Disney fans like us. Right?

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the official announcement for Avatarland at the D23 Expo is meet with a lot of boos and such. I mean... seriously. The majority of the D23 Expo's audience are die-hard Disney fans like us. Right?
    It would be REALLY interesting to see how the bigwigs at Disney would react if this happened. For selfish reasons (I too DO NOT want an Avatarland) hope something like this does happen.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Except that Avatar has found an audience and proven to be a sucessful film. You don't become the highest grossing film of all time just purely based on hype. It has fans and the world that Cameron created can translate well to theme parks.
    Avatar was monetarily successful, yes, and got technical recognition for 3D filming and graphics, which is well deserved. There are fans of the film out there of course - but really, do you think it has a fanbase even to compare to Cars, say, let alone Harry Potter or the Marvel Universe or Star Wars? As I have not seen any evidence to show Avatar's story, 'world-building' or characters are popular on that 'big league' level which cross-translates to being something the average theme park guest would say "I have to see that!" based on name value and recognition of quality/story appeal a large amount of theme park attendees relate to. Radiator Springs has Americana/car culture appeal plus popular characters, Wizarding World has literal magic and illusions as well as renowned literature/beloved characters, and Star Wars is a sci-fi film phenomenon. Avatar is one film with a story and characters many reviewers found basically 'flat' and uninspired - they can make a gorgeous environment for it, but the passionate fanbase I just don't think exists (not saying the movie doesn't have any fans, but it's no Star Wars or Potter in being a cultural phenomenon). That aspect I find highly doubtful pertaining to Avatar demanding to be in a theme park environment as a 'given' choice.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• film975

I always thought that this whole subject was such an odd fit for Disney ever since it was first announced. I wouldn't mind an attraction. But an entire land?! That really doesn't make sense. Especially for such a young entertainment property.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    It seems like Disney executives are the only ones who really want this to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if the official announcement for Avatarland at the D23 Expo is meet with a lot of boos and such. I mean... seriously. The majority of the D23 Expo's audience are die-hard Disney fans like us. Right?
    Are you kidding me? I was at the park presentation at D23 2009 and when Jay Rasolu was showing that horrible version of new fantasyland for WDW that was entirely built around princess meet & greets people were actually CHEERING. This is the version that was so bad that even the CFO of the company decided to up the budget on so that they could add a ride or two and cut down on the princesses.

There is no way people would boo Avatarland most people would be happy as long as the attractions are good and there is a HUGE demand for Star Wars lands and attractions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Avatar was monetarily successful, yes, and got technical recognition for 3D filming and graphics, which is well deserved. There are fans of the film out there of course - but really, do you think it has a fanbase even to compare to Cars, say, let alone Harry Potter or the Marvel Universe or Star Wars? As I have not seen any evidence to show Avatar's story, 'world-building' or characters are popular on that 'big league' level which cross-translates to being something the average theme park guest would say "I have to see that!" based on name value and recognition of quality/story appeal a large amount of theme park attendees relate to. Radiator Springs has Americana/car culture appeal plus popular characters, Wizarding World has literal magic and illusions as well as renowned literature/beloved characters, and Star Wars is a sci-fi film phenomenon. Avatar is one film with a story and characters many reviewers found basically 'flat' and uninspired - they can make a gorgeous environment for it, but the passionate fanbase I just don't think exists (not saying the movie doesn't have any fans, but it's no Star Wars or Potter in being a cultural phenomenon). That aspect I find highly doubtful pertaining to Avatar demanding to be in a theme park environment as a 'given' choice.
    I don't understand this argument. Most people haven't seen Song of the South or The Adventures of Icahbod and Mr.Toad but people LOVE the attractions based on them. To answer your question though Avatar has a much bigger fanbase than Cars or any of the pixar films lol but maybe not as big as Marvel or Star Wars. Don't forget though it still has at least 2 more films and a prequel novel in the pipeline so the fanbase will grow.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Love Star Wars and Marvel in the parks...but I find Avatar...not my thing..kinda goes against it self when it says tech is bad...but the whole movies is CGI

Will Disney ever come up with anything original (movies, attractions) ever again???? Seems all they ever do now is rely on sequels and Depp to milk the cash cow. I miss the old Disney.

• Artistic integrity

There will be teasers for new attractions based on Avatar and Star Wars that we’re working on now for the Disney Parks.
    I don't know about the rest of you - But I'm being very careful not to over-read into that. We already know Avatar and Star Wars themed lands/attractions is something they are keen on .. and perhaps show up at some point in the future. There are 5 (soon to be 6) Disney resorts around the world .. So I'm not getting my hopes up for anything regarding the property in Anaheim.

And a teaser can mean just a few words out of the mouths of top brass. No artwork. No details. No firm - "We have a greenlight, and are starting on this date". Just a "we are moving forward with Avatar and Star Wars attractions and can confirm what type of ride system we may use" - (and nothing more). And as usual ... anything can change.

I'm just going to take this in the same way I took George Kilagridis' "hang in there" line regarding the ultimate fate of the Peoplemover tracks 3 years ago ... ALL with one itty bitty grain of salt.

Or .. my short answer folks ... I'm not holding my breath on anything. Not with this company anymore. I've grown to understand them all too well at this point!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-25-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    ...Avatar is one film with a story and characters many reviewers found basically 'flat' and uninspired - they can make a gorgeous environment for it, but the passionate fanbase I just don't think exists (not saying the movie doesn't have any fans, but it's no Star Wars or Potter in being a cultural phenomenon). That aspect I find highly doubtful pertaining to Avatar demanding to be in a theme park environment as a 'given' choice.
    Exactly right. Avatar was a box office phenomenon in its time -- due in no small part to the novelty of its tech and the upcharge at the time of its release for 3D tickets -- but as a franchise brand it was (and is) D.O.A. It spawned no merch, no music and no memorable characters. By the time its sequels reach the screen, its novel tech will be "been there, seen that."

What's really interesting isn't how Disney will spin Avatarland at D23 -- PR flak and smoke-and-mirror games is what they're good at -- but how Iger and his Beancounter Brigade will justify to the Board of Directors spending megabucks to rent a franchise they don't own. A franchise where the landlord is the most notoriously budget-blowing, schedule screwing, My Way Or The Highway player in the entertainment biz, James Cameron.

Especially at a time when box office disasters like John Carter and The Lone Ranger, and the billions spent on Marvel and Star Wars, are fresh in BoD minds and hearts.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

While i personally dont care about property based theme park attractions/lands i do not have any interest in Avatar. I don't even think the world/universe of Avatar is that creative or detailed. I'm sure Disney can do it justice, but i don't think they can change the mediocre level of the source material. Plus i'd prefer a property not based on making such a heavy handed point of nature vs technology and related hippy issues - on of the big reasons that Wall-E is near the bottom of my personal Pixar list.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast