Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Star Wars will be awsome, Avatar not so much

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

What always bothered me about the Avatar in the parks is the amount of profanity in the movie and why anybody would consider that "family entertainment"? We watched it on a borrowed DVD for about 30 minutes before deciding this is not something we wanted to watch as a family. I cannot imagine the kids being excited to visit Avatarland at Animal Kingdom when the movie was just so foul. I cannot think of any other Disney Attraction that is based on a film that was so non-family.

Dont care about Avatar although dont hate it either...but PUMPED UP FOR STARWARS!!! and hopefully its in Disneyland or DCA

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you - But I'm being very careful not to over-read into that. We already know Avatar and Star Wars themed lands/attractions is something they are keen on .. and perhaps show up at some point in the future. There are 5 (soon to be 6) Disney resorts around the world .. So I'm not getting my hopes up for anything regarding the property in Anaheim.

And a teaser can mean just a few words out of the mouths of top brass. No artwork. No details. No firm - "We have a greenlight, and are starting on this date". Just a "we are moving forward with Avatar and Star Wars attractions and can confirm what type of ride system we may use" - (and nothing more). And as usual ... anything can change.

I'm just going to take this in the same way I took George Kilagridis' "hang in there" line regarding the ultimate fate of the Peoplemover tracks 3 years ago ... ALL with one itty bitty grain of salt.

Or .. my short answer folks ... I'm not holding my breath on anything. Not with this company anymore. I've grown to understand them all too well at this point!
    But WDW1974, Al Lutz, and Jim Hill have already confirmed major Star Wars plans for both Tomorrowland at Disneyland and the Studios Park in Orlando. So even if there is no major announcement at D23 we know these projects are happening very soon.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    But WDW1974, Al Lutz, and Jim Hill have already confirmed major Star Wars plans for both Tomorrowland at Disneyland and the Studios Park in Orlando. So even if there is no major announcement at D23 we know these projects are happening very soon.

This pretty much and I don't know how anyone can be so down on even "teasers" or previews or whatever they are called. The fact is they are working on items for the parks and we should be excited. Back in the 80s there was a rumor I remember about a Dick Tracy ride where you were going to be shooting at moving targets from the ride vehicle. It obviously never happened but today we have Buzz and TSMM which are on the premise as a rumor i heard so long ago.

So who knows maybe the sneak peek at the technologies won't even go into Avatar or Star Wars. It's also kind of silly to think they won't be working on another Star Wars attraction with the purchase of Lucasfilms and new movies coming up. For a media company that's a perfect storm.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Hank McCoy View Post
    What always bothered me about the Avatar in the parks is the amount of profanity in the movie and why anybody would consider that "family entertainment"? We watched it on a borrowed DVD for about 30 minutes before deciding this is not something we wanted to watch as a family. I cannot imagine the kids being excited to visit Avatarland at Animal Kingdom when the movie was just so foul. I cannot think of any other Disney Attraction that is based on a film that was so non-family.
    I think you nailed the problem with Avatar right on the head there. I never really considered it as family entertainment. Which is probably why the fledgling franchise seems such an odd fit for Disney.

Are you kidding me? I was at the park presentation at D23 2009 and when Jay Rasolu was showing that horrible version of new fantasyland for WDW that was entirely built around princess meet & greets people were actually CHEERING. This is the version that was so bad that even the CFO of the company decided to up the budget on so that they could add a ride or two and cut down on the princesses.
    There is no way people would boo Avatarland most people would be happy as long as the attractions are good and there is a HUGE demand for Star Wars lands and attractions.
    Well, there weren't any boos. But there was a lot of complaints about all the meet and greets. So much so that when Tom Staggs became president of DisneyParks, he made a lot of changes for the better. The biggest being the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
    Last edited by film975; 07-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.

• Former Churro Jockey

Of course Star Wars is coming to the theme parks. I think that's a given. If anything, I just hope they don't over saturate the market and try to shove it in our faces at every turn considering how much money they paid for it (i.e make Tomorrowland a full Star Wars land AND add a Star Wars land to DCA).

As for Avatar, I'm still hoping this doesn't happen, although if it does I do think that there is a possibility that it might not suck. The visuals of Pandora are truly amazing and so there is a potential there for Disney to try to recreate that world and I think it actually could be pretty good. I can envision a pretty cool e-ticket where you're flying on your own pterodactyl thingy. Throw in two other C or D ticket rides (maybe something centered around the floating mountains), a couple of restaurants, a unique gift shop, and you've got a land.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Except that Avatar has found an audience and proven to be a sucessful film. You don't become the highest grossing film of all time just purely based on hype. It has fans and the world that Cameron created can translate well to theme parks.
    You CAN become a highest grossing film of all time just purely based on hype: AVATAR. THe entertainment value of the film probably got it half way there, but it was they hype that carried it over the top.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

AVATAR:-( THAT is Extremely disappointing! They need to cut the $$$$$$$'s from that d disaster and apply them to something that would actually draw people to WDW. This project just doesn't fit Disney nor its fans

• -

lol wtf is this? Disney has put together a top tier Imagineering team to work on it and James Cameron is a perfectionist who only accepts the best the budget for this project has increased numerous times over the past 2 years. Do you also hate Cars Land?
    Cars Land is something entirely different. At least it is based on a Disney movie and there are arguments to be made for how it fits into its park.

Avatar is neither a Disney movie nor does it have a place in Animal Kingdom. There may be arguments made for a ride in Tomorrowland, but that would be the only place to stick this other than in the file of bad ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The budget and skill level of Imagineering team may be high that is attached to the project - but truly, there is no concentrated buzz/excitement about Avatar as a property coming to AK that I've seen anywhere. That's what calsig means.

The movie made a lot of money, but characters/story and the settings and concept don't have a massive excited following as properties like Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc do. If the detail and scale and a truly 'top-shelf' attraction is there when it opens it may well win people over, but the film itself barely registers as a 'meh, it was pretty but boring' for most people - they went to see it based on hype of the amazing 3D and graphics (valid praise) and found, for the most part it seems from reviews and public opinion - a pretty routine, dull, average film with a lot of money invested in graphics.

That's why there is ridiculously low expectations - the movie is a non-entity in terms of staying power or general interest/fandom following. In addition, a lot of people (myself included) seem to think adding it to Animal Kingdom is a rather boneheaded idea on a basic conceptual level, so that adds to the opposite of excitement.
    Thanks, Regions. I couldn’t have put it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    They're not previews, they're "teasers".
    Both of those are the same thing.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Singing Drinker

Not really exciting to me. *shrug*

This is one of those areas where I just have to admit Disney's chasing a dream that I don't care about. DAK SuperSmurf - er, Avatar - land will still feature characters from a movie featuring "Unobtanium".

Unobtanium.

If Cameron could bottle the chutzpah, he'd be even richer.

And Star Wars... *shrug* Guess it'll draw the fans. I'll hopefully be more willing to consider this area if the next movie or two undoes the damage Lucas did with the prequels. I'd sure like to think all those Jedi could finally take advantage of broad spectrum antibiotics...
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Not really exciting to me. *shrug*
    Unobtanium.

If Cameron could bottle the chutzpah, he'd be even richer.
    I always picture him jumping off of a diving board into his massive room filled with gold coins a la Scrooge McDuck and shouting "Unobtanium! that's it!" in mid-air.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I think people are hating on this too much. I remember hearing stories after this film came out of people in deep depressions because they are not able to go to Pandora in person. My belief is if they do thisright, the environment will be so awe inspiring it will out way the movie behind it. Heck, people loved water world in USH but the movie wasn’t good. Is it my first choice of projects, no, but I believe this could be a classic done right.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Cars Land is something entirely different. At least it is based on a Disney movie and there are arguments to be made for how it fits into its park.

Avatar is neither a Disney movie nor does it have a place in Animal Kingdom. There may be arguments made for a ride in Tomorrowland, but that would be the only place to stick this other than in the file of bad ideas.
    So before Disney bought Pixar and Lucasfilm your telling me you were really angry that there were pixar, Muppets and star wars and indiana jones rides? Give me a break. So if Cameron sells the rights to Avatar to Disney eventually like Lucas did with Star Wars that makes it Kosher in your book? That is seriously the goofiest reason for not wanting something I ever heard.

Cars was a Pixar movie. Everybody here complained that it was coming to DCA saying it made no sense with the California theme, how it was the lowest performing Pixar movie and there was no interest in it, etc. I would know I was right here when it was happening. Now you don't hear a lick of that complaining and you won't once they show Avatarland.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

People do still observe that the theme of Cars Land (and Little Mermaid, for that matter) aren't natural fits for DCA while talking separately about the merits of each. It's not mutually exclusive, so the claim people will just accept Avatar entirely once added to AK regardless of what it finally is, if on a decent level of detail quality, seems like a reach to me. Radiator Springs turned out nicely in scale and detail - the reasons for adding it still remain that it was a cash cow for PIXAR/Disney, and not because it was automatically something that was themed to California (car culture and roadside attractions in general can fit well enough, but Radiator Springs in the film was in Arizona, full stop.) People do still talk about that when discussing the addition, that didn't just vanish because it opened.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast