Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Thanks, Regions. I couldn’t have put it better.
    Both of those are the same thing.
    No, a preview actually gives you a glimpse into what is going to happen. A teaser can just be the name flashing across the screen with sound effects or a hazy implication of something that may be part of the experience. It may just be an old movie poster on an easel.

• -

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    No, a preview actually gives you a glimpse into what is going to happen.
    Which would be teasing the actual product.

A teaser can just be the name flashing across the screen with sound effects or a hazy implication of something that may be part of the experience.
    The sound effects or implication of things to come would be a very short preview, but still a preview.

It may just be an old movie poster on an easel.
    This sounds more like an advertisement than anything else.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Former Churro Jockey

If I'm not mistaken, in the entertainment world, "teaser" and "preview" are technical words. A teaser is supposed to not tell you what something is about, but just whet your appetite so that you are looking for the preview. For example, Jurassic Park had a billboard campaign several months before the first preview of the movie back in 1992 with billboards that just had the Jurassic Park logo and the words "An adventure 65 million years in the making". That was called a teaser. Then the preview comes out where you see that it is a movie, not a new theme park, and that the movie is about a theme park of live dinosaurs and something goes terribly, terribly wrong. So a teaser for Disney could simply be something like a slide that is a map of Disney Studios and has part of the map erased or maybe an addition to the map that says "Star Wars Land" over it. It doesn't say anything about what is in the land, only that it is coming.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, in the entertainment world, "teaser" and "preview" are technical words. A teaser is supposed to not tell you what something is about, but just whet your appetite so that you are looking for the preview. For example, Jurassic Park had a billboard campaign several months before the first preview of the movie back in 1992 with billboards that just had the Jurassic Park logo and the words "An adventure 65 million years in the making". That was called a teaser. Then the preview comes out where you see that it is a movie, not a new theme park, and that the movie is about a theme park of live dinosaurs and something goes terribly, terribly wrong. So a teaser for Disney could simply be something like a slide that is a map of Disney Studios and has part of the map erased or maybe an addition to the map that says "Star Wars Land" over it. It doesn't say anything about what is in the land, only that it is coming.
    yup but even then it's weird to see Disney handle it this way since in the past they always made a big deal out of announcements like this even with Avatar when they had zero concept art or information to share.

• Singing Drinker

I'm not sure how much of that is intentional release from the company and how much of it is damage control from leaks. I'm serious on that.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I'm looking forward to the Jabba the Hutt Palace dining experience with waitresses dressed as slave Leia

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Cars was a Pixar movie. Everybody here complained that it was coming to DCA saying it made no sense with the California theme, how it was the lowest performing Pixar movie and there was no interest in it, etc. I would know I was right here when it was happening. Now you don't hear a lick of that complaining and you won't once they show Avatarland.
    I still believe Carsland was a mistake, and ironically running on the same hype that Avatar had while it was still in theaters. I don't think either of these ideas are 30+ year concepts and a huge waste of time and resources for the long-term health of the parks they reside in.

These are short-term ideas designed to shoehorn a brand in the park for an immediate increase in shareholder profits, with zero thought of the repercussions down the road. Once the technical wonder and scale of the rock work has worn off in the eyes of the public, the mediocre design of the actual attraction will shine through and reflect its actual long-term demand.

Even today if you took a poll of the guests in the park, I bet their favorites would still be overwhelmingly in favor of Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, or Indy; a travesty considering how much money they spent on that project. The reality is the concept just isn't nearly as strong or timeless when compared to space travel, pirates, ghosts, and ancient temples.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-26-2013 at 03:44 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I still believe Carsland was a mistake, and ironically running on the same hype that Avatar had while it was still in theaters. I don't think either of these ideas are 30+ year concepts and a huge waste of time and resources for the long-term health of the parks they reside in.

These are short-term ideas designed to shoehorn a brand in the park for an immediate increase in shareholder profits, with zero thought of the repercussions down the road. Once the technical wonder and scale of the rock work has worn off in the eyes of the public, the mediocre design of the actual attraction will shine through and reflect its actual long-term demand....
    Exactly right. Unfortunately, "long term" isn't in the vocabulary of a management mindset that sees Disneyland rides as infomercials for whatever brand is today's hot seller in the kiddie and youth demographics.

The joke used to be that with Eisner, every new ride forced you to go through a store that hawked brands in your face. With Iger, the store starts as soon as you emerge from the tunnel and enter Main Street.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Avatar???? An attraction about Avatar???? Dear goodness, what has the world come to...
    This describes my feelings right now....
    Name:  I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.png
Views: 182
Size:  187.3 KB
    Name:  JVrYf.png
Views: 181
Size:  80.5 KB

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

Would much rather like to hear about a new Marvel attraction coming.
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Banned User

These are short-term ideas designed to shoehorn a brand in the park for an immediate increase in shareholder profits, with zero thought of the repercussions down the road. Once the technical wonder and scale of the rock work has worn off in the eyes of the public, the mediocre design of the actual attraction will shine through and reflect its actual long-term demand.

Even today if you took a poll of the guests in the park, I bet their favorites would still be overwhelmingly in favor of Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, or Indy; a travesty considering how much money they spent on that project. The reality is the concept just isn't nearly as strong or timeless when compared to space travel, pirates, ghosts, and ancient temples

Yet the Autopia is going strong 60 years later and last time I checked Roger Rabbit, Song of the South, and Mr.Toad aren't exactly timeless stories that every kid knows and loves yet the rides are crowd pleasers.

• Not the Hawkguy

Even today if you took a poll of the guests in the park, I bet their favorites would still be overwhelmingly in favor of Space Mountain, Pirates, HM, or Indy; a travesty considering how much money they spent on that project. The reality is the concept just isn't nearly as strong or timeless when compared to space travel, pirates, ghosts, and ancient temples.
    So you think a land that transports you to the days of Old Route 66, when we all fell in love with the automobile, and featuring an E-Ticket attraction that culminates in a race doesn't have any staying power?

I can agree that Avatar is a poor choice for a land, though the themes of nature and conservation do work for its supposed home of AK. Also I'd like your opinion on the proposed Star Wars Land, since that is a proven property (much like the Indiana Jones ride you brought up) with staying power, as evidenced by Star Tours being at the parks since the 80s.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I agree. I feel that it is one of the most overrated movies ever. I don't want to see it in a Disney Park. However, I am open to see what Disney can do with Star Wars as long as it doesn't take over Tomorrowland.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I agree. I feel that it is one of the most overrated movies ever. I don't want to see it in a Disney Park. However, I am open to see what Disney can do with Star Wars as long as it doesn't take over Tomorrowland.
    I really don't mind what property is used for an attraction really. I am always looking for the attraction to fit in where it's built and to transform me to a different world or place. Avatar may not be some peoples favorite movie but that doesn't mean it can't fit in DAK. Song of the south isn't a very popular move but I heard the attraction it's based on is a pretty big hit. It's all about execution in the park for me. Give me a good story and a fun or thrilling experience and I am happy regardless of what the property is based on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast