Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

60 Years of Imagineering the Impossible | Articles

Founded in December 1952, Walt Disney Imagineering (known as WDI in-house) is celebrating 60 years of innovation this year. Walt Disney once said “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible,” and making the impossible real is WDI’s specialty. To celebrate, the Imagineers are throwing open the doors (at least a crack) of their magic factory to the public at next month’s D23 Expo. The Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Pavilion at the event will give visitors a rare chance to explore the world of WDI and see how the innovation happens. Read on to see what to expect if you can be there, and get a peek at the event i you can’t make it.“People always want to come to Imagineering, and we constantly get requests for tours. So we thought instead of bringing everybody to our campus in Glendale, what if we bring Imagineering to people so they can visit it?” explains Dave Fisher, show producer of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Pavilion. “We have created a huge replica of the Imagineering façade right there in the Anaheim Convention Center, and inside is a world of Imagineering. It’s focused on what we do and who does it, so you’ll see some of our tools and actually get to meet Imagineers. We’ll have Imagineers from many departments and disciplines – many Imagineers have volunteered to come out and meet the fans and show off what they do. We don’t usually get to strut our stuff because, as we like to say, there’s only one name on the door here and that’s Disney. So the chance to show off what we do is as thrilling for us as it is for fans to meet us!”
    Dave says the pavilion has been designed to give visitors a real look at how Imagineers work and even a peek at hush-hush works in progress. “We have a technology called DISH, which stands for Digital Immersive Showroom, and we’ll show how it’s helped us design several attractions — visitors will be able to virtually ride two attractions, the same way we do when we’re testing them. We’re also going to be doing sneak peeks at upcoming projects – including Disney Springs, the reimagining of Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort. There will be teasers for new attractions based on Avatar and Star Wars that we’re working on now for the Disney Parks. We’ll have a play test for a project called Adventure Trading Company, and there will be an outlet of Mickey’s of Glendale, the Imagineering Cast Member store, because like all great attractions we end with a gift shop! There will be some exclusive merchandise there for Expo visitors to take home.”

Very exciting stuff. I hope we get some official announcements soon on what parks these new attractions will be showing up in and if a rebirth of Disneyland's Tomorrowland is finally going to happen!!!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Yes!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• No Disassemble!

Re: Disney Blog hints at D23 Expo "Sneak peaks" for Star Wars and Avatar attractions!

Sadly I'm looking forward to the imagineering merchandise more than the Avatar and Star Wars previews.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

Uuugghhh they're still going on about Avatar. I was seriously hoping they gave up on that. Or that it was all just a bad dream.

•   
    • Minion

awesome can't wait to see the sneak previews!

• Banned User

I hope they blow our minds and show a scale model of the New Tomorrowland!!

Is that a model for the original Space Pavilion for Epcot!?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Hopefully any previews of AVATAR for Animal Kingdom vastly exceed expectations.

This line caught my attention though, and I actually rolled my eyes: "We’ll have a play test for a project called Adventure Trading Company, and there will be an outlet of Mickey’s of Glendale, the Imagineering Cast Member store, because like all great attractions we end with a gift shop! There will be some exclusive merchandise there for Expo visitors to take home."

Because for an attraction to be 'great', it has to funnel through a forced retail opportunity, right? I am actually not that surprised a modern Disney parks employee let that gem slip, but come on - ask Walt Disney about that, with Mr. Lincoln, or Pirates (a gift shop near the exit, but not forced into it), Haunted Mansion, Nature's Wonderland, Peter Pan's Flight, the Disneyland Railroad, Nature's Wonderland, ,Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc etc. The forced 'exit through the gift shop' is a specialty of modern theme park planning - Star Tours, Stitch's Great Escape, Toy Story Midway Mania, Expedition Everest, many attractions at Universal Hollywood, and such. Real classy insinuation there about a attraction having to be bundled with opportunity to sell things right away in order to be 'great' by standards of current Disney, and that someone says it so blatantly.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Is that a model for the original Space Pavilion for Epcot!?
    Sure is!

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post

This line caught my attention though, and I actually rolled my eyes: "We’ll have a play test for a project called Adventure Trading Company, and there will be an outlet of Mickey’s of Glendale, the Imagineering Cast Member store, because like all great attractions we end with a gift shop! There will be some exclusive merchandise there for Expo visitors to take home."

Because for an attraction to be 'great', it has to funnel through a forced retail opportunity, right? I am actually not that surprised a modern Disney parks employee let that gem slip, but come on - ask Walt Disney about that, with Mr. Lincoln, or Pirates (a gift shop near the exit, but not forced into it), Haunted Mansion, Nature's Wonderland, Peter Pan's Flight, the Disneyland Railroad, Nature's Wonderland, ,Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc etc. The forced 'exit through the gift shop' is a specialty of modern theme park planning - Star Tours, Stitch's Great Escape, Toy Story Midway Mania, Expedition Everest, many attractions at Universal Hollywood, and such. Real classy insinuation there about a attraction having to be bundled with opportunity to sell things right away in order to be 'great' by standards of current Disney, and that someone says it so blatantly.
    This was my reaction to that line as well. I did a double-take upon reading it. Its translation reads something along the lines of, "In eyes of the modern Disney corporation, an attraction is only valuable if it makes $$$. Artistry, innovation, originality? Psh."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I don't think it's hard for Avatar to exceed expectations. The expectations for it are so low that anything halfway decent would be exceeding expectations.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think it's hard for Avatar to exceed expectations. The expectations for it are so low that anything halfway decent would be exceeding expectations.
    lol wtf is this? Disney has put together a top tier Imagineering team to work on it and James Cameron is a perfectionist who only accepts the best the budget for this project has increased numerous times over the past 2 years. Do you also hate Cars Land?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The budget and skill level of Imagineering team may be high that is attached to the project - but truly, there is no concentrated buzz/excitement about Avatar as a property coming to AK that I've seen anywhere. That's what calsig means.

The movie made a lot of money, but characters/story and the settings and concept don't have a massive excited following as properties like Harry Potter, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc do. If the detail and scale and a truly 'top-shelf' attraction is there when it opens it may well win people over, but the film itself barely registers as a 'meh, it was pretty but boring' for most people - they went to see it based on hype of the amazing 3D and graphics (valid praise) and found, for the most part it seems from reviews and public opinion - a pretty routine, dull, average film with a lot of money invested in graphics.

That's why there is ridiculously low expectations - the movie is a non-entity in terms of staying power or general interest/fandom following. In addition, a lot of people (myself included) seem to think adding it to Animal Kingdom is a rather boneheaded idea on a basic conceptual level, so that adds to the opposite of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    lol wtf is this? Disney has put together a top tier Imagineering team to work on it and James Cameron is a perfectionist who only accepts the best the budget for this project has increased numerous times over the past 2 years. Do you also hate Cars Land?
    Disney's last top tier team + big name director produced Lone Ranger.

There is very little excitement on the boards for an Avatar attraction when compared to Beastly Kingdom or even a Marvel, Star Wars, or TRON attraction.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Disney's last top tier team + big name director produced Lone Ranger.

There is very little excitement on the boards for an Avatar attraction when compared to Beastly Kingdom or even a Marvel, Star Wars, or TRON attraction.
    Not sure how the Lone Ranger comparison even fits here. The imagineers don't make the Disney movies. Also Avatar wasn't made by Disney as well. Given the type of person Cameron is I am sure this will be carefully planned out and executed. If they don't let him do that then it will never happen IMO.

As far as excitement not the whole board hates the idea. I myself think it will be awesome and look forward to it. Also keep in mind people outside of these boards actually talk about this property still especially over seas (this of course just my observation when I talk to my colleagues in other countries since they know i'm a Disney freak they always ask me when it's opening). If anyone was at comic con last week there were plenty of Na'Vi wandering around. Sorry but I can't just bash something for no reason I need to see what they have to offer first and how it will fit into the park.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast