Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Star wars land d23

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    That is not physically possible.

I take it you've never looked at a satellite map of DL.

And just where are parade floats suppose to go?

If a Star Wars themed area comes to the DLR .... I hope it comes in one of three locations:

* Should Monstropolis not the greenllight, and they do "Star Wars" there
    * In the last remaining pocket to the Timon Lot right next to Carsland. A "Tatooine" theme I think would best blend into the nearby Cars Land environment
    * In a Third Gate, where they got one big blank slate, with little hampering the imagination.

I've stated my reasons why Tomorrowland should remain "Tomorrowland" ... and not "the OLD Republic from ... Long,long ago!"

Star Tours is enough. They need to keep Tomorrowland diversified to contain a variety of different adventures ... that are related to the theme of TOMORROW. Just in case anyone forgot that one "little" important factoid of this themed land.
    Oh man I would love to see your face when the announcement happens....

HINT: Star Wars Land ain't going in any of the places your suggesting. It has no place in a park themed to California and Disney will not be holding the franchise back for a fabled 3rd gate.

I'm just really happy that Disney finally has the courage to do what is necessary and push forward like Walt would have wanted. The creative ghetto that once was Tomorrowland is finally going to get cleaned up.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I'm just really happy that Disney finally has the courage to do what is necessary and push forward like Walt would have wanted.
    Did you personally know Walt Disney? How do you know what e would have wanted?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Did you personally know Walt Disney? How do you know what e would have wanted?
    I know he didn't keep the parks the same for very long. He was always willing to tear out entire attractions and areas to make way for something better and more exciting. He always wanted to keep up with technology and audience expectations.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I know he didn't keep the parks the same for very long. He was always willing to tear out entire attractions and areas to make way for something better and more exciting. He always wanted to keep up with technology and audience expectations.
    How can you honestly say Walt Disney would want Tomorrowland to become Star Wars Land. The areas he replaced, such as Holidayland and the Circus area just weren't working, AT ALL, specifically the concepts. How can you compare those to Tomorrowland?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• No Disassemble!

And just where are parade floats suppose to go?
    Not just that but that whole backstage area is a major hub for cast members. Some of the most important offices are in that area including Disney Jail.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Not just that but that whole backstage area is a major hub for cast members. Some of the most important offices are in that area including Disney Jail.
    Asking because I don't know, but is there anything stopping them from digging down and creating a lower level for cast members and offices, similar to what they do at WDW (yes, I know the park is on a raised level, but the same idea applies). If they could do that, it would free up a lot of space. As for parades, I assume there's a way to change the turnaround spot to be farther down, possibly on the other side of the train tracks.

I been to both DL and WDW. I'm not ok with more Star Wars at DL park. Use it for the 3rd park where you have more room and space. But I'm ok with Avatar at AK. Am I the only one?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, just a reminder for a few of you. Please make sure your posts remain on-topic on the subject of this thread. Hint: neither mocking other members nor making personal asides about them are ever to be a part of your postings. If you think you may have created a post that goes against our rules, you can do one of two things. You can always edit your post to eliminate the words we don't allow, or you can wait and hope you aren't the recipient of appropriately given reputation. You might want to hurry, because option #1 is only helpful if you do it before your profile suffers a corrective nudge from other members. Any rep given before making changes sticks, since it was given while the words were on view for all to see.

Thanks to all of you who post respectfully, which helps to make MiceChat a safer and more fun place to be!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Asking because I don't know, but is there anything stopping them from digging down and creating a lower level for cast members and offices, similar to what they do at WDW (yes, I know the park is on a raised level, but the same idea applies). If they could do that, it would free up a lot of space. As for parades, I assume there's a way to change the turnaround spot to be farther down, possibly on the other side of the train tracks.
    Honestly, the main expense you're looking at when you're talking subterranean is expense. It costs a lot to dig down and set everything up so that it can support what needs to be on top of it safely.

On a "human resource" level regarding offices, you really kinda need windows of some sort. A lot of companies will stint on making sure the rank and file have natural light, but there are plenty of studies on productivity that show a "cavern" style office tends to lower productivity and morale. Natural light helps immensely.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• No Disassemble!

Does Disneyland need to get a permit from the city/county to do a subterranean build?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

Star Tours is enough. They need to keep Tomorrowland diversified to contain a variety of different adventures ... that are related to the theme of TOMORROW. Just in case anyone forgot that one "little" important factoid of this themed land.
    Well stated! I totally agree. I say save Star Wars (with the exception of Star Tours of course, unless they wanna move that and replace it with something else new and cool) for the Third Gate.

•   
    • Minion

I hope so. I can't wait to see what is annouced at D23 if anything. A Star Wars land would be great at the DLR but I would expect it more in Orlando. I'd rather DL make a Star Wars subland somehow rather than have pieces of Star Wars scattered throughout TL. If I ran the park and had a sand box I would remove Star Tours and the Jedi academy and make a full blown land in the third park. But we all know they want to cash in on Star Wars as soon as possible and the innoventions area is a good space for that and is readily available for demolition.

As for Avatar I will argue until i am blue in the face. Just because some hardcore fans on these boards don't like it doesn't mean no one likes it. Seeing the world of Pandora would be amazing IMO. The only park I can see that working in is the one they have chosen to do it in. This has to do with the way the planet looks. Also given the conservation aspect and Na'Vi connection to nature there is a way to tie it to DAK whether people want to admit it or not.

And as always until I see official plans for the areas mentioned I can't criticize either of these projects. If they look lame I would be disappointed big time as these seem to be what they are concentrating on for the parks as well as monstropolis. Rather then hoping any of these ideas fail I would rather see quality finished products on the Carsland and BVS scale for the parks I love visiting.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Does Disneyland need to get a permit from the city/county to do a subterranean build?
    I'm not 100% up to speed on the permits that something on their scale requires, but I strongly suspect so.

Usually you're only exempt if you're doing very basic maintenance. Anything that changes (or reasonably could expect to affect) the structure of the building, the exterior appearance in major ways, adds to the building etc. is usually a permit situation.

Basically (and in dealing with a major source of county revenue like Disney) you can probably safely assume that if there's a way to require a permit for it, there's a permit required.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Former Churro Jockey

Having worked there I can pretty much tell you yes, they will need lots and lots of permits. We had to get a permit for everything. We had to get a permit to paint something. We had to get a permit to change the color of the carpet for something. They would have to pay for multiple groups of people (environmental impact, earthquake saftey, disabled access, national regulators, state regulators, city regulators, and probably 10 or 20 more that I'm missing) people to come out and evaluate it before they start digging. They would have to pay for those same people to come out and inspect it while they are digging. The amount of money that Disney has to spend to do anything that doesn't go directly toward the cost of building something is staggering, and is one of the reasons why if I were opening my own theme park, it would most definitely not be in the United States.

Incidentally, there is a cast member lounge that is 2 or 3 stories underground in Fantasyland (not sure exactly how far, but there are a LOT of stairs) for CM's that grab something to eat from the Village Haus CM window, so it is doable (or it was at one time).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• film975

I'm pleading with the Disney Company here. Please, please don't turn Tomorrowland into a Star Wars land. It's a really, really bad idea. All Tomorrowland needs is an asethetic re-themeing and new attractions to replace Innoventions and the PeopleMover tracks. There's enough of Star Wars in that area of the park already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast