Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Re: High Speed People Mover Rods

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were Japan or France's high speed rail systems.

China? Yeah, that was built in a day, but this isn't China.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: High Speed People Mover Rods

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    This whole post reads like a Harris-era WDI conference room chat that led to the Rocket Rods in the first place.

I liked the PeopleMover because it was a nice chance to take a load off, and take in the sights, sounds and motion of TL. The RR made it impossible to do that unless you were sitting in the front seat and everything went by way too fast for it to really be enjoyable. The whole point of the PM was to showcase a new transportation idea while offering a sneak preview of major attractions in TL.

There is a "real" PM system at DFW International Airport. It's called Skylink. It's fully automated. It works - which is a good thing because if you've ever been there you know that DFW is an enormous airport. It's bigger than the town I grew up in. It's a utility transport, not an amusement ride, but it's built out proof of concept. Here's a round-trip video of it in action. Round trip on Skylink Train Dallas Fort Worth Airport Dallas, TX - YouTube

I like speed if I'm doing loops and barrel rolls and banked turns, but the PM track was designed for leisurely sightseeing and I feel it would best be used for that. If they want to turn it into a coaster I hope to God they do it right with banked turns and a steel track throughout and maybe even some cool effects in the tunnels. But if they do that it'll just be a coaster. The PM was cool because it was the first of it's kind and it represented a new idea.

I don't think speed is the key to the future. I think efficiency is. Things that are efficient are not always the fastest things available. But that's another thread...
    This thread is comparable to a reconvened Harris era conference room shat. The High Speed People Mover Rods would offer plenty of tiime to relax and enjoy the scebery at stations, when it isn't blasting from one destination to another at 100 mph plus! Now I ask how many rides offer the opportunity to enjoy bothe relaxation and exhilerating romps?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It was not my intention for the discussion of High Speed People Mover Rods to have anything to do with High Speed Rail. That said, I think both stand a good chance of being built, although the process will likely be extremely slow because both transport systems might as well be called Hig Cost People Mover Rods and High Cost Rail.

While I'm pleased that the Rail Authority has added HSR as a part of the first segment, I am somewhat perplexed that Disney has yet to mention any plans concerning HSPMRod's.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It's been more than a rumor since the bill passed funding it.

Whether it will be successfully completed or left to rot with limited (if that far) sections of track is the bigger question.

The line from the article that's likely most important is this:

Right now the current route has left very little wiggle room. The trains have to operate at maximum speed and efficiency to even HOPE to make the mandated time frame for the trip. Without that the entire project potentially loses the federal funds, and I don't think it's wise to count on Congress reauthorizing a larger budget.
    The first few miles is set for initial clearing of terrain. The first track laying is a ways off yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were Japan or France's high speed rail systems.

China? Yeah, that was built in a day, but this isn't China.
    The High Speed Orient Express!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12