Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

High Speed People Mover Rods

Now that the new Starspeeder coaster is coming to Tomorrowland, and High Speed Rail is said to be coming to Anaheim, it seems that much of the relatively near future will involve speed. So if the People Mover moves people in beyond the berm locations (as different rumors have speculted) why should the People Mover just poke along. It would be much more fun and exciting to move along it's elevated track at bullet train-like speed to a third resort, the Angel Stadium of anaheim, to DCA, and to the Anaheim Convention Center!

Just imagine for the moment being forced against the back of your seat as your High Speed People Mover Rod blasts forward in heavy acceleration speeds rapidly reaching speeds of 100 miles or more, slightly slowing down only during turns. It would be equally exciting slamming to a stop each time your Mover Rod reaches a destination station! Perhaps charaters like Buzz Lightyear and Pluto might even join you for a ride now and then. Well now that you've "travelled along with me" for a might ....tell me your thoughts.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Artistic integrity

Re: High Speed People Mover Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Now that the new Starspeeder coaster is coming to Tomorrowland
    Source please.

And about a high speed train for Anaheim, can we have a source on that too please? It's been talked about for the last 30+ years. On again ... Off again. I know of no confirmation of it.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

CA's high speed rail system is increasingly unlikely to actually occur in what was hoped to be the final state. The fact that the route forced on it means that it's already a literal impossibility for it to accomplish the mandated time goals is just the start.

ARC was supposedly going to wrangle an Anaheim station for the rail center. Last I heard it'd been downgraded to a local street shuttle to the HSR station. Barring any private corporation ponying up the billions it'd cost to build the line, I don't think it'll be hitting Anaheim proper.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Source please.

And about a high speed train for Anaheim, can we have a source on that too please? It' been talked about for the last 30+ years. On again ... Off again. I know of no confirmation of it.
    Al said in his last update that Sisney has dropped the Tron coaster in favor of the Star Wars coaster. I didn't imply that HSR is more than a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    CA's high speed rail system is increasingly unlikely to actually occur in what was hoped to be the final state. The fact that the route forced on it means that it's already a literal impossibility for it to accomplish the mandated time goals is just the start.

ARC was supposedly going to wrangle an Anaheim station for the rail center. Last I heard it'd been downgraded to a local street shuttle to the HSR station. Barring any private corporation ponying up the billions it'd cost to build the line, I don't think it'll be hitting Anaheim proper.
    Yes, unfortunately HSR is drastically over budget, and it's not clear whether or how it might merge with AMTRAK.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Source please.

And about a high speed train for Anaheim, can we have a source on that too please? It' been talked about for the last 30+ years. On again ... Off again. I know of no confirmation of it.
    Al said in his last update that Sisney has dropped the Tron coaster in favor of the Star Wars coaster. I didn't imply that HSR is more than a rumor.

Yes, unfortunately HSR is drastically over budget, and it's not clear whether or how it might merge with AMTRAK. It would be funny though if Disney created a High Speed People Mover Rod.

• Artistic integrity

Al said in his last update that Disney has dropped the Tron coaster in favor of the Star Wars coaster. I didn't imply that HSR is more than a rumor.

At this point - I'm keeping my expectations in check, and I know anything is subject to change. Until Disney announces "it's official" on anything - I'm keen to keep in mind - anything can change. And as we've all figured out at this point in life - (when it comes to this co.) - It does!

Yes, WDI obviously has "Star Wars", "Pixar", "Avatar", "Marvel" ideas floating around .. and then some. They got dozens and dozens of attraction/land ideas. And out of all that - Some will be dropped. Some will be shelved .. and some will get the greenlight. And new ideas will surface. Until Disney makes an official announcement, we just don't know.

Whoever Al's source is for all these years - They told him a Pixie Hollow attraction was coming for a 2013 opening. That obviously changed. Same for Tron in Tomorrowland. Same for Stark EXPO in Tomorrowland. Same for an update from Al that said the subs would be demolished along with Autopia.

Not putting Al down. Just reminding people - Whoever Al's source in WDI is - He/She can't confirm one single "for sure" thing - as their superiors change things on them - left and right!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Singing Drinker

Not putting Al down. Just reminding people - Whoever Al's source in WDI is - He/She can't confirm one single "for sure" thing - as their superiors change things on them - left and right!
    Hear hear. One of the longest standing truisms of being a theme park fan is "Never take it for truth until the ride is built". One of the more... endearing.. things about the topic.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Iron-Clad Allie

At this point - I'm keeping my expectations in check, and I know anything is subject to change. Until Disney announces "it's official" on anything - I'm keen to keep in mind - anything can change. And as we've all figured out at this point in life - (when it comes to this co.) - It does!

Yes, WDI obviously has "Star Wars", "Pixar", "Avatar", "Marvel" ideas floating around .. and then some. They got dozens and dozens of attraction/land ideas. And out of all that - Some will be dropped. Some will be shelved .. and some will get the greenlight. And new ideas will surface. Until Disney makes an official announcement, we just don't know.

Whoever Al's source is for all these years - They told him a Pixie Hollow attraction was coming for a 2013 opening. That obviously changed. Same for Tron in Tomorrowland. Same for Stark EXPO in Tomorrowland. Same for an update from Al that said the subs would be demolished along with Autopia.

It's true Tomorrowland, no announced or green lighted rides, attractions, lands or parks are concrete until construction begins. But, there are varying levels of likelihood., plus it's far less joyful and fun disengaging from discussions about rumors and announced/green lighted likelihoods. So, you and I share the same perspectives, but often look at things from two different sides of a coin. I must say though, my longtime friend, that you have one of the most creative penchants for original attraction ideas, and one of the most business savvy minds as well.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-27-2013 at 02:23 PM.

• Artistic integrity

But, there are varying levels of likelihood.,
    Oh, sure. Projects gain traction .. and the more websites that get corroborating information ... (especially now when Disney's own website mentions a peep) ... you never know.

Me personally .. I'm just reticent ... and cautiously optimistic. And also very leary ... for they could make a creative blunder. They've done it before. So, I'm not jumping for joy - like the "Walt" years are back in full force!

I must say though, my longtime friend, that you have one of the most creative ideas for original attraction ideas, and one of the most business savvy minds as well.
    You're being too kind .... but I'm none of those. Just a fan like you, who understands the core philosophies that get ignored from time to time. And will eventually be a detriment if ignored for too long.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Former Churro Jockey

Honestly I'd just like them to build the Rocket Rods the right way, with banked turns so that it doesn't have to slow down at all. That would have been an awesome ride. Barring that, bring back something like the People Mover that usually does not have a line, is fast-loading and eats up crowds, and gives people a chance to sit down for 15 minutes and relax and enjoy the views. If they were to expand something to Anahiem Stadium I think it would need to be the monorail, but on a separate track more like the way it is at WDW where there is one track between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and another track between the three hotels. It would probably also need to drop off only at Downtown Disney and not inside DL so that people can use it to go from Anaheim Stadium to Downtown Disney to shop and eat without having to buy a ticket to DL.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Oh, sure. Projects gain traction .. and the more websites that get corroborating information ... (especially now when Disney's own website mentions a peep) ... you never know.

Me personally .. I'm just reticent ... and cautiously optimistic. And also very leary ... for they could make a creative blunder. They've done it before. So, I'm not jumping for joy - like the "Walt" years are back in full force!.
    The Disney Company's made lot's of creative blunders, ever since the early days of Walt when he made a house made of candy....that melted in the sun and became underseige by a parade of insects. Then, there was the day the pack mules broke free and ran free and wild all of Disneyland.

You're being too kind .... but I'm none of those. Just a fan like you, who understands the core philosophies that get ignored from time to time. And will eventually be a detriment if ignored for too long.[/QUOTE]

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hear hear. One of the longest standing truisms of being a theme park fan is "Never take it for truth until the ride is built". One of the more... endearing.. things about the topic.
    Sage words my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Honestly I'd just like them to build the Rocket Rods the right way, with banked turns so that it doesn't have to slow down at all. That would have been an awesome ride. Barring that, bring back something like the People Mover that usually does not have a line, is fast-loading and eats up crowds, and gives people a chance to sit down for 15 minutes and relax and enjoy the views. If they were to expand something to Anahiem Stadium I think it would need to be the monorail, but on a separate track more like the way it is at WDW where there is one track between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and another track between the three hotels. It would probably also need to drop off only at Downtown Disney and not inside DL so that people can use it to go from Anaheim Stadium to Downtown Disney to shop and eat without having to buy a ticket to DL.
    Banked turns would have been a great idea that would have saved the ride. Even though Rocket Rods was kind of a thrill ride, even my aged and handicapped mom loved the fast fun thril it had. The rockin' Circle Theater, and walk thru the tunnel to the ride boarding area were also special treats. Great ride....to bad they shoe honed it onto existing tracks on the cheap.

Now that the new Starspeeder coaster is coming to Tomorrowland, and High Speed Rail is said to be coming to Anaheim, it seems that much of the relatively near future will involve speed. So if the People Mover moves people in beyond the berm locations (as different rumors have speculted) why should the People Mover just poke along. It would be much more fun and exciting to move along it's elevated track at bullet train-like speed to a third resort, the Angel Stadium of anaheim, to DCA, and to the Anaheim Convention Center!

Just imagine for the moment being forced against the back of your seat as your High Speed People Mover Rod blasts forward in heavy acceleration speeds rapidly reaching speeds of 100 miles or more, slightly slowing down only during turns. It would be equally exciting slamming to a stop each time your Mover Rod reaches a destination station! Perhaps charaters like Buzz Lightyear and Pluto might even join you for a ride now and then. Well now that you've "travelled along with me" for a might ....tell me your thoughts.
    This whole post reads like a Harris-era WDI conference room chat that led to the Rocket Rods in the first place.

I liked the PeopleMover because it was a nice chance to take a load off, and take in the sights, sounds and motion of TL. The RR made it impossible to do that unless you were sitting in the front seat and everything went by way too fast for it to really be enjoyable. The whole point of the PM was to showcase a new transportation idea while offering a sneak preview of major attractions in TL.

There is a "real" PM system at DFW International Airport. It's called Skylink. It's fully automated. It works - which is a good thing because if you've ever been there you know that DFW is an enormous airport. It's bigger than the town I grew up in. It's a utility transport, not an amusement ride, but it's built out proof of concept. Here's a round-trip video of it in action. Round trip on Skylink Train Dallas Fort Worth Airport Dallas, TX - YouTube

I like speed if I'm doing loops and barrel rolls and banked turns, but the PM track was designed for leisurely sightseeing and I feel it would best be used for that. If they want to turn it into a coaster I hope to God they do it right with banked turns and a steel track throughout and maybe even some cool effects in the tunnels. But if they do that it'll just be a coaster. The PM was cool because it was the first of it's kind and it represented a new idea.

I don't think speed is the key to the future. I think efficiency is. Things that are efficient are not always the fastest things available. But that's another thread...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

High Speed Rail is more than a RUMOR

Since it was publicized last week that the initial phase of high-speed rail would run from San Francisco to Los Angeles, stopping short of Anaheim to save on costs, the rail authority was flooded with calls and letters asking that Anaheim be put back in the first phase.

A letter from Lucy Dunn at the Orange County Business Council seemed to make a strong impact with the Rail Authority board, which voted unanimously to put Anaheim back in the plan, Murray said.

The rail agency had been looking at ways to cut the cost of the project, which had soared to $100 billion at one point. The current plan, detailed in a 212-page document, is estimated to cost about $68 billion, and could whisk passengers on the 520-mile route at up to 220 mph.

Murray said decisions about "electrifying" the L.A. to Anaheim segment of the line needed for the train to run at full speed -- will be made at a later date. But the plan, as drafted, would allow passengers to travel from San Francisco all the way to Anaheim with one ticket and without having to change trains in Los Angeles' Union Station, she said.
    Published: April 12, 2012

Anaheim back on high-speed rail route | anaheim, rail, speed - News - The Orange County Register

• Singing Drinker

It's been more than a rumor since the bill passed funding it.

Whether it will be successfully completed or left to rot with limited (if that far) sections of track is the bigger question.

The line from the article that's likely most important is this:
    The state Legislature is expected to review the plan in coming months and decide whether to move forward. Much of the project has yet to be funded.
    Right now the current route has left very little wiggle room. The trains have to operate at maximum speed and efficiency to even HOPE to make the mandated time frame for the trip. Without that the entire project potentially loses the federal funds, and I don't think it's wise to count on Congress reauthorizing a larger budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast