Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Are the fireworks and WOC so good that they are worth closing rides for?

Fantasyland closing early doesn't bother me as much because there is SO MUCH still open, comparatively speaking. At DCA, Paradise Pier is so packed that it makes a huge difference when they close it off for WoC. I, for one, would LOVE to go on Silly Symphony Swings while WoC was going on.

• Singing Drinker

There WAS a point before they started closing the castle (and then keeping the rides down the rest of the night) that evening fireworks were the only chance anyone over the age of ten had to go on the Fantasyland dark rides without waiting in 90+ minute lines for Pan or Toad. That's the main thing I miss - the rides DEFINITELY weren't going unused.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I don't particularly love that the rides close for fireworks and WoC but it makes sense to me.

With WoC, the noise of the roller coaster could be distracting as a viewer and as a company, I am sure you don't want to leave a litigious person to walk around in the dark or risk having something go amiss during the show and get sued like crazy. Couple that with needing more CMs for crowd control and then not having to pay to run those rides, it makes more sense. I do wish that some of the side rides were open though. The Zephyr and Silly symphony would be pretty cool to be on during WoC.

As far as the fireworks go, I always assumed they were closed due to safety. Since the fireworks are shot off from back there, those areas are at most risk if something goes wrong. Again, it would only take one person's lawsuit because they got burned by a pyrotechnic that didn't get enough altitude to risk there being no fireworks. As far as opening the rides back up, I never got to go when they did that and assumed it wasn't busy enough/worth the energy to restart the rides. I imagined you would need to do all the opening procedures again and there are only a few months a year that the park is open late enough to warrant that so it is probably easier to just not at all.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

So do the FL attractions remain closed for the rest of the evening after fireworks?

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    So do the FL attractions remain closed for the rest of the evening after fireworks?
    Don't they reopen?

Also, if the last WOC isn't after closing, CS reopens, which I think is silly, going through the re opening process for less than thirty minutes of rides, but I appreciate the effort as I love riding it at night!

In regard to Fireworks, they shoot primarily off from behind Small World and Toontown. Toontown is closed due to fireworks fall out, from what I've been told many-a-time. Alice In Wonderland, Toad, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Pinocchio are all closed because their attractions are built into the Castle itself and fireworks shoot from there now. CMs were saying it was a safety thing because of how they are part of the Castle. But they go back on shortly afterward, usually about 30 minutes after, depending on operating hours.

If it is their extended hours (8am - midnight) and fireworks are at 9:30, then the rides will re-open between 10pm and 10:15pm. If fireworks are at 9:30pm and the Park closes at 10pm, then they will stay closed. Basically, if the Park closes 30 minutes after fireworks begin, the rides will remain closed. If there is an hour and a half after pyro, I believe they will re-open for the last hour.

In regard to WOC, I've been told that Screaming, Zephyr, Swings and Fun Wheel are closed due to the water from the fountains possibly drenching Guests, depending on the wind. They tested the rides running before it opened 2 years ago and it was possible to come out absolutely soaking wet (think GRR where you got each wave really bad, or standing in Dot's Puddle Park and getting soaked, or going underwater in a pool in your regular clothing). So instead of having the potential for tons of Guests complaining about getting wet when the show was going, they just opted not to run those rides. Of course, it all depends on how hard and which direction the wind blows.

As far as Storybook Land goes, it is probably because of the potential for lines going into the viewing area/pathway and also I doubt you could hear the Storyteller Guides (aka CMs) even with their microphone speaker over the loudness of both the Parades and the Fireworks.

Fantasmic has their fireworks go from the water for the times it is used in the show. I don't think the reason it fires anything during the actual Fireworks time is because it is probably dangerous to have Fireworks loaded that may not launch due to weather. Plus the fall out would go right onto the crowd. That is a major reason why the actual pyro (Magical, RDCM, BIHM) sometimes gets cancelled - if the white balloons go over Main Street, that means firework fall out will go there too, and it will go on people, which is a BIG no-no!

Remember Dreams Come True and Fantasmic are. Everything else? No.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    No, they reopen.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Fantasyland closing early doesn't bother me as much because there is SO MUCH still open, comparatively speaking. At DCA, Paradise Pier is so packed that it makes a huge difference when they close it off for WoC. I, for one, would LOVE to go on Silly Symphony Swings while WoC was going on.
    The bigger problem, to me, is the crowd control issue, rather than Fantasyland closing. The ENTIRE West side of the park, including Main Street and New Orleans Square (because of Fantasmic) becomes an absolute nightmare to get around, especially for those with small children, old people, those in wheelchairs, etc. Along with the necessity of closing Fantasyland and Toontown due to safety closes most of the park down for those who don't want to see the fireworks.
    So this tremendously cuts down on what there is to do in the parks during fireworks. The result is the rides that are open seem to get longer lines. There once was a time when fireworks - like parades - was a time when people could enjoy shorter waits.
    I'm not saying get rid of fireworks, Fantasmic, or any other nighttime entertainment. Just cut back. There can be incredibly wonderful firework displays without shooting off from the castle. Save the biggest displays for a few "special days" such as July 17, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Arbor Day, etc.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    The bigger problem, to me, is the crowd control issue, rather than Fantasyland closing. The ENTIRE West side of the park, including Main Street and New Orleans Square (because of Fantasmic) becomes an absolute nightmare to get around, especially for those with small children, old people, those in wheelchairs, etc. Along with the necessity of closing Fantasyland and Toontown due to safety closes most of the park down for those who don't want to see the fireworks.
    So this tremendously cuts down on what there is to do in the parks during fireworks. The result is the rides that are open seem to get longer lines. There once was a time when fireworks - like parades - was a time when people could enjoy shorter waits.
    I'm not saying get rid of fireworks, Fantasmic, or any other nighttime entertainment. Just cut back. There can be incredibly wonderful firework displays without shooting off from the castle. Save the biggest displays for a few "special days" such as July 17, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day, Arbor Day, etc.
    You had me until "Arbor Day"
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   

They could probably boost revenue by selling reservations on Fun Wheel during WoC. It's not only a seat to watch the show but a great view too.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm still waiting for the first person to get sued by Disney for selling tickets to watch the show from their balcony at the Grand Californian...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I highly dislike the closing of the rides during world of color. I have always said the best time to ride thunder mountain is at night and even more so during fantastic. I don't see why they can't run screamin' during WOC. Sure people may scream loud but I doubt it would be louder than the show. With technology today it would be nice for them to make it part of the show. Screamin' would be that much better as well.

That being said, I am okay with the Zephyr and silly symphony being closed. That doesn't seem to have too big of an impact. I think goofus sky school should remain open. The view from that ride would also impact the rides popularity.

It just boggles my mind to make a land that looks better at night with all the lighting, and then shut down that land and lighting at night for huge allotments of time.

I remember seeing PP from the parking garage back when DCA closed early and seeing it all aglow. I waited for the day the park would expand its hours so I could be there while it was lit so. Then came WOC.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Fireworks, parades and WoC all add to the variety of entertainment that is offered and closing a limited number number of attractions for a limited time is a fair trade off. As for navigating the west side of DL during fantastmic shows is actually one of the best times to ride Splash, Pooh, Haunted Mansion and Pirates, as DL cast members do a good job of keeping walkways open and moving. Yes, between shows it is crowded as guests move in and out, but that is the perfect time to hop in to one of those attractions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast