Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Are the fireworks and WOC so good that they are worth closing rides for?

Other then maintenance and the lack of new rides at DL lately, my biggest pet peeve with Disney has been all of the things that they have to close down in order to do the fireworks at DL, and WOC at DCA. I personally do not care for WOC, so that may be part of it, but I do actually like the fireworks and I'm impressed at just how much better they are now (and have been ever since the 50th) then they were when I worked there in the late 90's. However, as good as they are, if it means that they have to close something else, then for me it's not worth the trade off. So I want to say that I am totally opposed to any show that causes something else to have to close. Fantasmic does shut down the rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island, but those things used to close at dusk anyway if I remember correctly so I don't believe that anything is lost there. So who's with me?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Re: Are the fireworks and WOC so good that they are worth closing rides for?

I'm personally against closing the parts of the park for fireworks, but understand parts of why.

I'm just against *leaving* them closed when there's still a matter of 2-4 hours of operational time left.

And as far as Fantasmic and the after dark - most of the river shuts down at night, but the Twain and Columbia have in the past run for evening cruises when Fantasmic's on rehab. One reason I won't be sad when Fantasmic finally goes (so long as it's not replaced with another river show) will be the hopeful resumption of Twain evening cruises. It's beautiful on the fantail.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

I'm not opposed to it at all.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I'm not opposed to it, but I almost never attends these shows (parades either.) These events are packed, obviously popular and draw people away from the attractions that are left open so in my mind it is a fair trade.

I usually don't mind when it comes to the fireworks, however World of Color bothers me. I'm just not a very big fan of the show so closing the rides doesn't seem worth it to me.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

In regards to WoC.......the question is a tricky one. On the surface, I'd say "no, it's not worth it". But I remember how early that park used to close (often as early as 6PM) before WoC.

So think of it as not losing the rides they close but gaining the ones they don't
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Minion

I miss the attractions being open in FL during the fireworks. As for world of color I don't even understand way Screamin is closed makes no sense to me at all. You can run it with no lights on I would think. I am sure they have a safety reason for it but I think it sux

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I miss the attractions being open in FL during the fireworks. As for world of color I don't even understand way Screamin is closed makes no sense to me at all. You can run it with no lights on I would think. I am sure they have a safety reason for it but I think it sux
    I have no inside information on it or anything, but I always assumed it was because of the noise of the people screaming on the ride.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I have no inside information on it or anything, but I always assumed it was because of the noise of the people screaming on the ride.
    I'd heard (from various CMs) issues with noise pollution, CMs being pulled to work crowd control, not wanting customers trying to navigate darkened areas for insurance reasons, concerns over an effect or ground burst potentially firing into an active ride (SKYNET! AAAAH!) and a few others.

My cynical self also adds "not having to pay all the people you let go three hours ahead of closing", but hey.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Closed Account

The fireworks should not close any rides, because not everyone goes to Disneyland to see the fireworks (just my opinion here). The fireworks could easily stop revolving around the castle and shoot off instead from The Rivers Of America which is closed that time of day anyway, or shoot off from Toontown, which is closed that time of day anyway. I am not opposed to either of those places being closed so that they can launch fireworks. And no, I am not one of those people who believes that the fireworks have to revolve around the castle, and I think closing Fantasyland, and packing Main Street is not the way to have fireworks and creates a foot traffic nightmare.

For World Of Color, it makes even less sense, none of the rides specifically have to be closed for World Of Color to happen. And what a view there would be from the Funwheel or Screamin'. I don't believe the rides or anyone in line for them are in any danger, as no one standing along the waterfront or on the bridge is in any danger. Besides, if it truly was a danger to the Funwheel, it would have went up in flames by now, LOL.

I also have a problem with Disneyland closing rides because of parades. I understand that it creates a packed situation in Fantasyland, but for those who aren't interested in the parades, they should be able to ride anything they want.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    shoot off instead from The Rivers Of America which is closed that time of day anyway, or shoot off from Toontown, which is closed that time of day anyway.
    Technical limitations on this - Fantasmic frequently is timed so that the crowd's split, guessing to avoid a huge crowd at one location immediately decamping and trying to flood the other. Having Disneyland fireworks launching off the island during Fantasmic *might* be more trouble than it's worth. As far as Toontown, the only unified reason I've ever been given as to any ride/area closure is the 'main' launchers being located directly behind Toontown. Please note I have no evidence other than potentially misinformed CMs on that.

• formerly very helpful

As much as I feel all of these shows are very well done, I HATE that they have to shut down so much of the park for them.
    I understand that for the 50th it was a big deal, so they had an extra big firework show, but they could have gone back to a smaller show that didn't require closing Fantasyland and clogging up all of Main Street like happens now.
    Then, with the River area closed up and clogged up with Fantasmic traffic, more than half the park is off limits for those who don't want to watch these shows.
    That's why I've been a proponent of limiting Fantasmic to only a few times a week, and really cutting back on the fireworks.

Having the roller coaster running during World of Color would be so distracting! And is it really such a big loss to have some Fantasyland rides closed during the fireworks? Just ride them earlier in the day, dudes! I'm not a huge fireworks/parades person, but they are a unique part of the Disney experience, and I don't think they disrupt the rest of the park all that much. In most parts of the country, the only time y

Having the roller coaster running during World of Color would be so distracting! And is it really such a big loss to have some Fantasyland rides closed during the fireworks? Just ride them earlier in the day, dudes! I'm not a huge fireworks/parades person, but they are a unique part of the Disney experience, and I don't think they disrupt the rest of the park all that much. If you are someone who goes to Disneyland once a week, I could see getting bored with them, but I think Disney primarily thinks of those who are having a once-in-a-lifetime, or maybe once-per-year experience, and for many people, the Disney experience would not be complete without a fireworks show or a show of that kind.

I'm sure there are safety issues that require the ride closures, but even if it is a staffing issue, that is totally legitimate. Do you expect them to have workers come in for a one-hour shift just for fireworks crowd control? Where else are those people supposed to come from if not from ride operations?

Im fine with the rides closing for the shows. You have so many hours of the day to enjoy those rides even if they have to close early.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast