Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: New Tomorrowland 1998 Grand Reopening Telecast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    This is cool, but why does everyone keep hating on Tomorrowland? Personally, I love Tomorrowland....
    We aren't hating on Tomorrowland. We want change for the better. Tomorrowland currently is a shadow of its former self with several mediocre, unfuturistic attractions and no cohesive theme which made Tomorrowland 1967 special.

can't wait for tomorrowland 2015!

...one can dream

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

I had to stop watching when Pressler began to speak. That guy should be behind bars.
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well yeah the land is not the best....but to be fair I miss the Rocket Rods....brought at least some life to the now dead feeling land

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    This is cool, but why does everyone keep hating on Tomorrowland? Personally, I love Tomorrowland....
    Well, may have something to do with:

1. Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track completely desolate for 13 years now.
    2. The "future" invaded by Pixar cartoons that dumb-down the land's original intent
    3. The hulking remains of an infrastructure - 46 years old now. That's almost a half a century!
    4. The Autopia ... a nostalgic car ride, that absolutely does nothing to promote the land's theme.
    5. The sight of Starcade's abandoned second floor - since 1999, appalling.
    6. Innoventions ... one of the most hated attractions - miraculously hangs on 15 years later. Their AA host - Mr. Tom Morrow turned off ... 3 years now, hidden behind a blue curtain. They reversed the entry and exit - Temporary in it's looks ... Innoventions is just an embarrassment at this point.
    7. Observatron - Lesson 101 in WDI crisis mode/budget slashing - Take an existing mechanism. Dress it up, and hope people find the spinning thing (once every 15 minutes) interesting!
    8. What's left of Cosmic Waves - Why didn't they just remove the entire thing when they shut the water jets down in 2003? No .. they kept the wet granite ball - Now, it's just left over junk with no purpose.
    9. An important and valuable attraction facility (Mission to Mars) is downsized to a pizzeria (Redd Rockets) with the most minimal theming - Not too far off from the motif at any local McDonalds.
    10. A pale "Captain EO" experience - without the effects it originally had. Nice to have had the return engagement for a couple years - but this 27 year old piece of nostalgia needs to be laid to rest.
    11. And here is the one most upsetting - WDI has been coming up with concepts for YEARS to renovate the land. Remember the story of Tony Baxter's TL 2009 plan? Canned! So ... many of us have plenty reason to hate on the company. They don't care. There's no interest to make this a priority. They are not the visionary company they once were.

I underlined the word "nostalgia" for a purpose - That very concept has no place in a land that's suppose to be devoted to all things NEW/Futuristic.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-31-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Well, may have something to do with:

1. Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track completely desolate for 13 years now.
    2. The "future" invaded by Pixar cartoons that dumb-down the land's original intent
    3. The hulking remains of an infrastructure - 46 years old now. That's almost a half a century!
    4. The Autopia ... a nostalgic car ride, that absolutely does nothing to promote the land's theme.
    5. The sight of Starcade's abandoned second floor - since 1999, appalling.
    6. Innoventions ... one of the most hated attractions - miraculously hangs on 15 years later. Their AA host - Mr. Tom Morrow turned off ... 3 years now, hidden behind a blue curtain. They reversed the entry and exit - Temporary in it's looks ... Innoventions is just an embarrassment at this point.
    7. Observatron - Lesson 101 in WDI crisis mode/budget slashing - Take an existing mechanism. Dress it up, and hope people find the spinning thing (once every 15 minutes) interesting!
    8. What's left of Cosmic Waves - Why didn't they just remove the entire thing when they shut the water jets down in 2003? No .. they kept the wet granite ball - Now, it's just left over junk with no purpose.
    9. An important and valuable attraction facility (Mission to Mars) is downsized to a pizzeria (Redd Rockets) with the most minimal theming - Not too far off from the motif at any local McDonalds.
    10. A pale "Captain EO" experience - without the effects it originally had. Nice to have had the return engagement for a couple years - but this 27 year old piece of nostalgia needs to be laid to rest.
    11. And here is the one most upsetting - WDI has been coming up with concepts for YEARS to renovate the land. Remember the story of Tony Baxter's TL 2009 plan? Canned! So ... many of us have plenty reason to hate on the company. They don't care. There's no interest to make this a priority. They are not the visionary company they once were.

I underlined the word "nostalgia" for a purpose - That very concept has no place in a land that's suppose to be devoted to all things NEW/Futuristic.
    Yeah, I really need to stop thinking that Tomorrowland in WDW and DL are the same thing.... like now......

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

• Boat shoes all day long

Thank you for digging up this diamond!

I have never been afraid to admit, that, when my family and I traveled to the park in the year 2000 after a 3 year hiatus, this makeover knocked my socks off. They literally came right off. Before I even got to the park. I don't like socks.

This was back in the days of DIS boards and Disney Geek - prior to the full court press Mice Chat laid down to become the leader of this kind of thing. So prior to arriving, I knew nothing of what to expect. The only glimpse I had into the madness, was a radio broadcast (Mark & Brian) that was taking place at the grand re-opening and happened to be airing on a Portland, Oregon radio station. There was a lot of screaming and cheering and some well placed humor.

Disneyland and the DLH had gone through some relatively major changes while we were away, and the construction of DCA was exciting! So much optimism. But nothing can describe the excitement of walking down main street, bearing right, and seeing the copper-ish glory that was the rock, Astro Orbiter, Observatron, Rocket Rods, and a freshly painted mountain in space. My brother and I freaked, and loved it! Innoventions had personal computers that you could use to email your buddies WHILE you were in the park! It was incredible. Now we shoot Instagrams like it's no big deal. It really is if you think about it.

Thank you for this great video.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12