Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

New Tomorrowland 1998 Grand Reopening Telecast

So I just found this video on YouTube and it was actually pretty fun to watch. It's so interesting to see how the 1998 Tomorrowland actually seemed kinda cool at the opening...at least, that's how they made it seem in this video. Too bad the same excitement still doesn't exist.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: New Tomorrowland 1998 Grand Reopening Telecast

Wow, I'll have to watch this later on. I was there that day working on the churro cart underneath the Rocket Rod berm. It sound awesome to us too btw. I still have some of the promotional material that Disney gave to the cast members before it opened that highlighted each of the new attractions and they all sounded great. Fifteen years later, none of it exists anymore except for the Astro Orbiters and Innoventions. Even the ODV cart that we got under the Moonliner Rocket that shoots the soda bottles into the air for us to catch and give to the guests hasn't worked in 14 1/2 years (it turns out shooting a bottle of coke into the air with an air cannon and catching it shakes things up and causes a mess when the guest opens it -- who knew?).
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

One of the biggest boondoggles in Disneyland history! Only 2nd to DCA 1.0.

Haahaha - someone is wearing a Light Magic Sweatshirt! - Another Eisner era error!

• Banned User

Thousands of people lined up early for rocket rods, astro orbiter and...innoventions?

C'mon Disney fans. I was 14 when I saw the artwork and description for TL98 in Disney Magazine and even I felt it was extremely disappointing especially compared to what Florida got in 1994.

Kind of funny in hindsight to see and hear all this awesome and cool stuff and in a few years start to deteriorate to the point of being frowned upon by some.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    One of the biggest boondoggles in Disneyland history! Only 2nd to DCA 1.0.
    I still remember the gut-punch shock my wife and I felt when we first visited TL98. Neither of us had ever seen Disney build anything so incredibly ugly.

From the thread "Who was the idiot responsible for the 1998 New Tomorrowland?"...this pretty much says it all:

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-30-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Kind of funny in hindsight to see and hear all this awesome and cool stuff and in a few years start to deteriorate to the point of being frowned upon by some.
    It's not like it was awesome and cool to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I still remember the gut-punch shock my wife and I felt when we first saw TL98. Neither of us had ever seen Disney build anything so incredibly ugly.
    All I had to do was read the description in the LA Times. It's a good thing I was 14 years younger because my blood pressure was so high reading about what little they did, and moving the astro orbiter to the entrance I don't know if I could have handled it if it happened today!

• Artistic integrity

I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. But I had to see what people are posting in this topic - that's the fun part.

I remember opening weekend - I was actually a bit giddy ... walking up to the entrance from the hub .. all excited about a newly renovated land .. not done since 1967.

And my feeling once I was finished was - in a very somber tone ............... Are you kidding me?

Rocket Rods .. mildly entertaining.
    HISTA ... i had already seen it in EPCOT in 1995 - the year it made it's world debut.
    Astro Orbitor ... to this day, I've never ridden it. Pointless
    Innoventions ... wouldn't open till August. And when it did ... you could just imagine my reaction .. as anyone else's!

15 years later .... We may have Buzz and the return engagement of EO, and some new paint in places ... but TL:98 is still with us.

And so far, Disney isn't showing any serious interest to renovate ... unless it's got "franchise" written all over it.

* double sigh *
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Not here to help

Its like New Fantasyland. Nothing really new.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm recalling my first visit to Tomorrowland when I was...wow, somewhere around the age of four or five, probably four. My one specific memory was riding the Rocket Rods, waiting forever in line for them, then crying hysterically when my dad lost his hat in one of the tunnels, believing it was my fault. Needless to say, I never rode the Rocket Rods again. They closed shortly after anyways, so it's not a big deal haha.

It's really a shame that Tomorrowland 2055 never became a reality. Even if it was a bunch of generic alien stuff, it still would have been a welcome addition and much more successful than what we got in 1998. And I would have loved to have been able to experience Alien Encounter for myself...even though I would have been far too young for it.

It's interesting comparing the opening ceremony and coverage of Tomorrowland 1998 to the opening ceremony and coverage of Tomorrowland 1967. Sense any changes in quality?

Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

Little did those people know how big of a failure it actually turned out to be.

• Shubisha

Funny to hear the Fantillusion theme when they 'cut the rope' and the land was debuted.. They'd used it as the entrance music for ASIMO in Innoventions and I'd thought to myself "wow what a random freaking choice of music from him to come into" but hearing it here makes me wonder if it was listed as part of a "New Tomorrowland debut music package" label also so they chose it again.. or the same show director just associated it with "Tomorrowland"ish and reused it. Or just a coincidence.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Its like New Fantasyland. Nothing really new.
    New Fantasyland in Florida? At least that didn't destroy or ruin an existing land and merely added to it using land that hasn't been used in years + some empty land.

• Artistic integrity

What's also insult to injury ... is a lesser remodel (to 1967's) ... which offered fewer new experiences.

In 1967, they offered 6 new experiences:

1. CoP
    2. Peoplemover
    3. Adventure Thru Inner Space
    4. Rocket Jets
    5. America The Beautiful
    6. Flight to the Moon

1. Innoventions
    2. Rocket Rods
    3. Astro Orbitor
    4. "Honey, I shrunk the audience"

And consider this - The "longevity/popularity" comparisons:

Peoplemover - 28 years
    Adventure Thru Inner Space - 18 years
    Rocket Jets - 30 years
    America The Beautiful - 16 years
    Flight to Moon/Mars - 25 years

Rocket Rods - 2 years
    "Honey, I shrunk the Audience" - 12 years
    - and if we had it our way,
    Innoventions would have shut down after 2-3 years, max!

So .. not only did Tomorrowland become a "downsized" experience ...
    but the overall weak execution, ride to ride, made for attractions that would not stand a chance of being popular beyond 5-10 years, max!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

This is cool, but why does everyone keep hating on Tomorrowland? Personally, I love Tomorrowland....

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast