Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Excited about Christmas Private Party at DL

So I've had a chance to do the Christmas party at WDW, and I actually really like it and I'm looking forward to attending one at Disneyland. While I don't really care that much about Christmas-themed fireworks, and I've seen the Christmas Fantasy parade a hundred times, the big benefit is the lack of crowds. A lot of the rides are walk-on's, and big rides like Space Mountain are only about a 30-minute wait. Basically I look at it as you're paying more for smaller crowds. Sure it sucks for the people that paid full price for a day ticket only to have the park close on them at 6PM, but I fully intend to take advantage of the smaller crowds. I guess it's not going to happen until next year, but since I've decided to give up my annual pass, I will probably only go to Disneyland next year at their Christmas party. Depending on what the price of the ticket is, I may even go twice. So I fully expect to get a lot of hate for this, and I get that Disneyland is taking away something that was always included before and charging extra for it now without lowering the cost of the day ticket to compensate, and that does suck, but the park has been so darn crowded every single time that I've gone this year that I'm looking forward to being able to experience the park with shorter lines.

Let the hate commence!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Re: Excited about Christmas Private Party at DL

Why on earth would anyone hate you for doing it?

I can understand the distaste for "This once was considered part of your park going experience. Let's raise the price for your regular day AND make the special event a separate ticket". It's crass.

Beyond that, I hope you have a blast.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Hope you have a great time at the Christmas party, whenever you go!

I myself can't justify paying extra to see the dated and boring Christmas fireworks, "snow" and parade. The best things about Christmas at Disneyland are Haunted Mansion Holiday and "it's a small world" Holiday, and I wouldn't have to pay extra for those two. I'm actually glad there will be private parties because that means Remember... Dreams Come True will be showing on non party dates.

I prefer Grinchmas at Universal, anyway.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Blew By You

In the long run, Christmas will be Christmas whether the parade is public or for an extra ticket. I do get mad more at the Execs level who make the decisions.
    Enjoy your evening.

• Banned User

LOL there is no reason for anyone to hate you! All you are saying is you like the ticketed events, and clearly you arent alone. Im personnally on the fence with them but I understand why Disney does them. But to be honest I can understand people being upset for getting booted out early (but they simply dont go have to go on those days) but can someone explain to me other than getting the fireworks and parade what exactly would be that exclusive about it?

AFAIK you will obviously still get the decorations, the special food and most importantly the two ride layovers and I think those are most important anyway. Would they get rid of Santa and the raindeers for non ticket people? And Im sure the tree lighting would stay since it gets dark too early to wait. Im guessing for the ticket events they will add a lot of special things like the candy for Halloween parties but that wasnt exactly included in a normal day anyway. Maybe the candlight processional thing will only be for the parties?

I guess its too hard to be upset over losing a parade and fireworks thats been shown for a looong time. I understand its tradition for some though I still think with whats still there not to mention DCA is really building its own Xmas festivities there is plenty to keep people happy.

I personnally dont think I would do the ticket events even if I could but I guess I have to see what else is offerered besides parades and fireworks.
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-27-2013 at 02:40 AM.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Excited for you. I'd love to do DLR at Christmas Time, and would totally do a ticketed event. The kids love the ticketed Halloween events.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

If the only reason to like the ticketed Christmas parties are to experience shorter lines, why bother to pay the extra money to go? Just go during the off-season or when it is slower. The only reason to otherwise go would be to experience the decorations - the tree, the lights on the castle, the special parade and/or fireworks.

IMO a ticketed Christmas event is not going to work. Southern Californians are used to paying extra for Halloween events - and that is understandable. Take Knotts, the first ones to do this 41 years ago. I am pretty sure they charged separate for this not only as a way to increase their revenue, but to prevent children from attending an otherwise relatively adult event. Southern Californians accept Halloween events as something to pay extra for. Both Knotts and USH do this. However, Christmas events at Knotts and USH (and Disney for now) are absolutely free with admission. Convincing locals to all of a sudden have to pay for the same experience they can get for free at another park is going to be a hard thing to do. If Disney winds up doing this I think this is going to be a huge mistake.

• Queen Elsa

I myself love the Christmas Parade I don't care if it's old I would hate to see it as a ticket event only I want to see it and I will never pay extra to see it can't aford it. Another thing Christmas Day is my family's day to go there. We have no living family to open pritzens on Christmas Day so we go there. Disneyland is are pritzen and to be turn away will not be happy for us. So yes I hate this idea of private party only event. And no we will not do the other parks because we don't like Knott's and the others.

• Chief Troublemaker

From what I've read here about the Halloween ticketed event, the Christmas party may have pretty big crowds. People posted last October that it was cheek-by-jowls with people on party nights. After all it's not a 'private party' per se (like the old Telephone Pioneers night I used to go to back in the day where tickets were sold only to a particular group), it's a public event which one pays extra to attend. And I'm sure plenty of people are willing to pay extra.

IIRC, Christmas season is one of the busiest tourist times at DLR plus local schools are out for at least part of the time. I'm sure most of the out of towners will buy tickets. I know I would if I was there then (but I'm a dedicated 'off seasoner'). And DLR is always busy with locals, many of whom will be willing to pay the upcharge.
    Last edited by Stormy; 07-27-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    From what I've read here about the Halloween ticketed event, the Christmas party may have pretty big crowds. People posted last October that it was cheek-by-jowls with people on party nights.
    Yes, people are getting excited about Halloween again this year (there are already threads about it here), but we'll see if people show up in big numbers again or if the crowds last year were a turn-off. It's not hard to imagine that this year's 24-hour event caused nowhere near the pandemonium of last year's Leap Day event because people saw how crowded it was and stayed away.

There are probably many members of the general public who have no idea of, or at best a vague idea of, what usually goes on at Disneyland during the holidays and when they see "Special Holiday Parties" they'll think it's something new and willingly pay for tickets. But when they get there and there's a huge crowd will they return next year?

How exactly can you attend a private christmas party? Where do you buy tickets from?

• Former Churro Jockey

I was joking about the hate, it's just that I have yet to read anything positive here on MiceAge about Disney doing a separately ticketed Christmas party. If it's like WDW, they will run from pretty much Thanksgiving until New Years, so I'll definitely make sure I go before kids are out of school, and if it's like WDW (which I did the first week of December) the crowds won't be too bad. And DisneyIPresume, if you know of a day when it isn't crowded anymore, by all means please let me know, because every time I've gone this year the crowds have been unmanageable and I've ended up just going on Pirates or something and then going home.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I was joking about the hate, it's just that I have yet to read anything positive here on MiceAge about Disney doing a separately ticketed Christmas party. If it's like WDW, they will run from pretty much Thanksgiving until New Years, so I'll definitely make sure I go before kids are out of school, and if it's like WDW (which I did the first week of December) the crowds won't be too bad. And DisneyIPresume, if you know of a day when it isn't crowded anymore, by all means please let me know, because every time I've gone this year the crowds have been unmanageable and I've ended up just going on Pirates or something and then going home.
    I did think about that. There are days that are less busy than others. But sadly the "off-season" keeps shrinking to where it is almost non-existent.

If the DLR does do a private ticket event I assure you that Thanksgiving - New Years is way too long of a time period. Two weeks maximum would make more sense. But if they do decide to stretch it out over such a long period then the parks should definitely not be as crowded as they normally would be. If the public would accept that long of a time period is a totally different question altogether.

• Former Churro Jockey

We'll see. The first year they might be kind of cautious with it and only offer it during the two week Christmas break, and then as it gets more and more popular they may expand it to all of December. Or, they may decide that they have such a good local crowd of AP's that they start off with lots of dates all through December and then scale back the next year if certain dates are too slow. Disney usually tends to either be too conservative (24hr party) and not realize how big of a crowd they are actually going to get, or they overdo it and blow the budget and then don't give it enough time to catch on (EuroDisney). We'll see which way they go on this one, but my personal guess is that they are going to make A LOT of money from this and so I would think they would start out with lots of dates and then contact those the next year if necessary.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

•   
    • Minion

I will be honest, I'm not so gung-ho about the private holiday parties. For one thing, even if we have seen the Christmas fireworks and parade before, and we don't mind missing it, every single year there are newcomers to Disneyland who are seeing those things for the first time. It's new to them. For another, at Christmastime it seems that a lot of businesses and attractions, even the greedy ones, find ways to provide free entertainment to their guests - whereas with the parties, Disney would be taking away what used to be free, and that is just kinda crass, IMHO.

Plus, unlike WDW, where there are several parks to choose from, we only have our two at DLR. And the holidays are the busiest time of the year. So when you take huge holiday crowds, you close DL early and everyone else has to go to DCA for the remaining four hours of operation, you're going to make the crowds in DCA pretty unbearable.

The only way I think I would be cool with the parties is if they were after normal closing hours (say if the park closes at 8, the party starts then), and if they designed new entertainment just for the parties, and left the old Christmas stuff for public guests. I'd much rather see Disney play up special packages - for instance, preferred seating and dinner packages for the holiday World of Color show, or for Candlelight - than to shut down the park altogether, a la the Halloween parties.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast