Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Envious of Alien Encounter

For a while, I've really wished that I could have experienced the Alien Encounter attraction that was one in MK's Tomorrowland. It seemed very cool and detailed. I understand that it was taken down due to its scariness, but id still love to ride it. I'd really like to see a sensory attraction like this come to Disneyland whether it be original or property based. Would you like a similar attraction at DL's Tomorrowland? If so, how would you design it so that its not to frightening OR would you keep it scary.

Re: Envious of Alien Encounter

I went on it a few times as a kid and it was intense. Unfortunately we will never see something like this again in a (U.S.) Disney park. The reason for it's closure was the constant complaints from parents (despite the numerous warning signs throughout the attraction).
    If there was another sensory attraction created, it would be very kid-friendly and no where near what Alien Encounter was. Now we are stuck with that awful Stitch attraction.

If I were to create a new attraction using the same technology, it would be something original that isn't tied in with a film. Maybe some kind of paranormal related concept.
    Last edited by DreamsofColor; 07-27-2013 at 12:55 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Just read a description on Wikipedia. I bet this was soooo cool, I would've loved it! I think they could probably get away with having a 'scary' ride these days. I think people are more used to realizing that Disney isn't 'just for kids' and that there may be something that is geared more for the 'scare me' crowd.

Sounds like a great replacement for Innoventions to me.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• formerly very helpful

I liked the original Alien Encounter. I am NOT a fan of scary rides, but I really didn't think it was all that scary. It was more suspenseful than anything. It was a very good attraction, and superior to the Stitch's Escape version that they have now. (Do they still have it? It's been a while since I've been there.)
    I heard that the reason it was not built here is that it was built into the theater of the old Mission to Mars attraction, but WDW's Mission to Mars theater was larger than Disneyland's. Because of the size difference, the effects wouldn't work or be able to be seen in the smaller room we have in California.
    It would be very easy (?) for Disney to design an attraction using that technology - even with the same story - without it being as intense as before. Think about it. We have a Haunted Mansion that's been popular since the 1960s that isn't all that scary.

• We Go On.

Though "scariness" and "un-Disneyness" are often cited as reasons for AE's removal, it is highly possible that it was a reflex to the criminal charges of Jeffrey Jones, the actor who played Chairman Clench in the attraction.

Of course, Disney never told us for sure. But Alien Encounter was extremely popular and the Jeffrey Jones incident happened in 2002.

Granted, Alien Encounter was the child of a different Disney business strategy. I doubt it would have been considered at all in this decade.

• Former Churro Jockey

I had a chance to go on it at MK and it was awesome. It was scary in an intense kind of way, but a lot of the thrill was the alien sneaking around the theater that you were in where you couldn't see it but you could hear it and sometimes feel it. So really it was as scary as your imagination made it. It probably is not appropriate for a Disney park. I wish they'd sell it to Knott's or something so that it can be resurrected in a more appropriate setting.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I loved this show - it was very cleaver and different from everything else just what a Disney at reaction should be.

i didn't think the ride was too scary - there was some great lines about 'profit being something that xs corp has learned to live etc' and the whole tounge in cheek take on a trade show fitted in perfectly with the new tomorrowland vibe. There were memorable new characters like sir the robot, LC Clench and the adorable Skippy -I even recall there being a hidden mickey in the show.

Yes it was a probably a bit intense for so e littles ones but then so is Space Mountain or Indy.

I'd love to see a revamped show return somewhere - personally I think port discovery in Disneysea would be the right fit but I remember seeing a Disney news article in the 90s saying it was part of tomorrowland 55 so there must have been plans for a California version which could be dusted down if we're lucky !

You're making me all nostalgic for the Magic Kingdom's New Tomorrowland. Boy was that awesome.

It was a lot of fun due to the humor throughout. I'd love them to build it in DCA by GRR. A museum of the weird where the owner has claimed to have captured Bigfoot or the Wendigo.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Former Churro Jockey

IF they ever did decide to bring it to DL, it would fit perfectly in Innoventions. I don't think they'd even need to modify anything. They could just leave the ramp outside, and have the entrance and preshow upstairs, and the main show downstairs, and the exit downstairs. It might even be a little more intense when you are watching the preshow and you hear the people screaming in the theater below you. However, Disney is too cautious nowadays and I just don't see it happening. Think of the lawyers, if they couldn't handle the windows on the monorail being able to open, there is just no way they would allow anything even remotely frightening at DL.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• keh!

I got to experience Alien Encounter once back in 2001. It was a very enjoyable attraction but I never thought it was intense or scary. Just some surround sound audio, breathing on the back of your neck, and my favorite was the last effect where you feel something tap the top of your head, as if it were the Alien's talons or something. That one took me by surprise. But the screams I heard in there were all screams of joy (as I recall). I could imagine getting bored of that experience after multiple visits like with Captain EO. It's a shame Disney got rid of an original like Alien Encounter.

• Minion

Well how about an alien encounter ride? Same sensory experience but with a trackless ride system? Almost like a combination of the Alien Encounter effects with the same intensity just slightly less dark like dinosaur?

Y'know, everyone talks about it being scary... it really wasn't any scarier than "Stitch's Great Escape". The only difference in those two rides is that It's Stitch instead of a giant bug looking Alien... I thought it was stupid and silly from the beginning for them to take it down, but oh well....

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    It was a lot of fun due to the humor throughout. I'd love them to build it in DCA by GRR. A museum of the weird where the owner has claimed to have captured Bigfoot or the Wendigo.
    Disney, are you listening? Please make this happen! You could even tie it to a great IP (since everything is these days)...Gravitity Falls (great show btw). It's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    Y'know, everyone talks about it being scary... it really wasn't any scarier than "Stitch's Great Escape". The only difference in those two rides is that It's Stitch instead of a giant bug looking Alien... I thought it was stupid and silly from the beginning for them to take it down, but oh well....
    Except the murderous screams in the soundtrack, the glass "shattering", the sound of an employee's bones crunching and "blood" being splattered all over the audience from above...

It was definitely a lot more intense than Stitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast