Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Loves Disney

Re: Terrifying Space Mountain experience

Whoa that's crazy and very interesting that happened. I probably would of been ok with the extra speed but the part about the station would of then made me concerned

• Observer

I know that sometimes space mt cm will ask the people on ur rocket if u wanna go again to cut down on the load and unload time because they were moving to sloe and were tryong to prevent a back up which would have automatically shut the ride down and they would have had to evac the ride... strangethey usually give u tthe choice of staying or getting off. Ps the ride may have seemed faster because it was darker and u were freaking ur self out

• Blew By You

I'm a pretty good worrywort, so my line of thinking is that something was not operating SOP, at least for the car you were on. I certainly hope the CMs pulled that car off the line for a good checkup and maintenance.

Name:  clifford_film_larry_the_scary_rex.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  127.7 KB

I would have been freaked if that happened to me, too. I'm sorry you had such a scary experience. That being said, it all kind of reminds me of the movie "Clifford" and the "Larry the Scary Rex" ride incident, and I can't help but laugh. Again, it's not good that you had an unsafe experience, and I'm glad no one was hurt.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As was mentioned, sometimes the CM's at Space will let a rocket go through again in order to prevent the attraction from backing up and causing a cascade stop which requires a lengthy reset. When this happened to me on my last trip, one of the girls in the rocket began to cry because she didn't want to go again so the CM sent our rocket left instead of right and we get out semi-backstage.

As for the speed, I don't think the attraction computer allows it to go any faster than normal. If that were the case, I believe the system will stop the attraction to prevent an accident. Gravity is gravity but maybe they are tinkering with the "retarder" system that keeps the attraction speed in check to try and get more guests through? Seems strange but I wasn't there so who knows.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Sounds to me like you had a heavy sled, which explains the speed. If there were effects on the ride that were down, they probably put you through again as a consolation.

Seems strange to me that no CM's talked to you though..

• Singing Drinker

I'm already in awe of a night where it was dead enough that there wouldn't be a car in the load, unload or waiting slots.

Sorry it happened. You are the... beneficiary?... of what would have had to have been a truly astounding set of circumstances.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

To those suggesting that heavier cars move faster through the track, I'm curious as to what the reasoning for this is.

The velocity of a roller coaster car should be given(ideally) by:

mgh = 1/2 m v^2, where m is the mass of, in this case, the rocket. Solving for the velocity, the mass cancels, and is dependent only on the gravitational constant g and the height of the track, h, and should be given by v = sqrt(2gh). Can someone explain what the flaw in my reasoning is?

•   

The flaw is in the word "idea", which real world roller coasters are not.

Sure, but the real world doesn't violate physical law. The question I have is, if that is the case, what the mechanism is which is responsible?

As I said before, it didn't look like I was the only person experiencing this. As I was waiting in line, every car I saw was going through a very abruct stop just before the loading area, which is weird because there are brakes in that tunnel that should slow you down, but it didn't. And when I got off the ride, I could overhear multiple people talking about how fast the ride was going, and how the music would suddenly cut out and stop playing. I believe something did go wrong.

On a side note, a lot of the older projections that I have no seen since the reopening of space mountain was working, like the projection of asteroids and galaxies.

• No Disassemble!

I believe the story simply because I have little faith that the CM's would pick up on such an issue unless/until the trouble indicators started showing up on that monitor in the tower.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Disneyland CM

I guarantee you nothing malfunctioned. The ride system is setup in such a way that anything that appears slightly out of sync or something not safe, an automatic e-stop will occur. Heavier and warmer rockets do go slightly faster then other rockets. Additionally if they were running at 11 rockets with the lowest dispatch interval, its likely the station was backing up and they just sent the rocket through to prevent a breakdown. Cast members are suppose to ask if you want to re-ride but I can tell you from experience this doesn't always happen. It usually does though. Also if it was clearly visible or the guest started freaking out that they wanted off, they would have stopped the ride. Nothing malfunctioning but it just probably wasn't your typical rocket flight experience.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies

• Disneyland CM

Also music cutting in and out happens more often when running at a lower dispatch interval and more rockets because the rockets have less time to charge in the station.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    Sure, but the real world doesn't violate physical law. The question I have is, if that is the case, what the mechanism is which is responsible?
    Friction and drag forces, mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I believe the story simply because I have little faith that the CM's would pick up on such an issue unless/until the trouble indicators started showing up on that monitor in the tower.
    Those cast members spend dozens of hours every week watching rockets pass through the station. They know how the ride control system works, they know its idiosyncrasies, and they know what to do if unusual conditions occur. And you think they wouldn't notice or care if the vehicles started moving in a strange way? Attractions have had significant downtimes for far less. (Also, what you think of as "trouble indicators" are more like systems that automatically stop every single rocket if there's a potential for danger.)

I'm reminded slightly of an old thread criticizing Matterhorn CM's for sending a bobsled through the station with someone's seatbelt unbuckled. Even though that's a safe and normal procedure that happens countless times every day. In that thread, the poster described the CM's ignoring their protests, which is obviously bad, but in this thread, the OP says the cast member told them they were going again, and no one asked not to.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast