Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

•   

Re: Terrifying Space Mountain experience

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Ok, point taken, but what if the OP had a bigger issue than simply being "uncomfortable"? What if there was a severe problem, even a medical issue?
    In that case, the CM would be tipped off by a lot of panicked shouting or other unusual behaviors, and the vehicle would be stopped. When you watch thousands of people go by every hour, you get pretty good at noticing ones that are in serious distress.

Who is the CM to judge that one guests problem isn't worth several others?....A rider attempting to flag down a nonchalant CM should be more important than a group of people in line, of whom you don't know their situation.
    To turn your question around......who is the CM to judge that one guest's problem is worth several others'? How can they not judge one way or the other? Once they're involved in a situation, they have to make a judgment call about what the appropriate action is. And that's going to depend on context.

Would making a few more people wait longer in line (and I've waited through a SM re-boot, it takes no more than 15 minutes) be worth one person having a heart attack?
    Considering the example I gave about the escaped guest, what do you think my answer would be?

Heck, do THEM a favor and give em FP's for the inconvenience if you want to.
    We're getting off-topic, but that bloats the FastPass lines later, pushing the inconvenience onto other guests instead. Why are they more deserving of the delay? Do we then give them FastPasses for their trouble, too? What about the people they go on to inconvenience?

But back in the good ole days, NO guest was EVER ignored no matter what the situation.
    That's a charming notion, and in an ideal world, it would hold true. Unfortunately, the Disney parks are and always have been operated in the real world. It's kind of like suggesting that no one should have to wait at the ER. It's a great idea, but when demand exceeds supply, the reality is that you have to start triage.

That's an excellent point, CMinParadise. But would there really be a delay or cause the ride to temporarily shut down? Wouldn't they have sent the car to the other track that leads backstage?

•   

I unfortunately have no specific information to offer about Space or about what happened that day. For all I know, it may be that the CM's handled the situation completely incorrectly. My general point is just that theme parks are complex operations. Sometimes difficult decisions have to be made by the CM's, sometimes using important information that's not evident to the guests.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    Actually, I don't think friction will enter into it, since friction also has a linear dependence on mass, the mass term cancels and the acceleration is still a function of g and the material properties.
    The cars do not go on the track at ideal accelerations due to the friction of the track and air. So when a car goes down a hill, it does not fall at the theorethical max. The heavier train will have a stronger force.. meaning it will overcome the friction forces better. Additionally, a heavier train will have a higher inertia once it has picked up speed, meaning it can carry that speed more.

You also have to account for that the trains are not points of mass - they are interconnected trains that pull and push each other, in addition to gravity.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• world class bilge rat

Reading both sides of this leads me to believe that if the parks were a bit less crowded, there would be far fewer issues for the CMs to have to deal with.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Reading both sides of this leads me to believe that if the parks were a bit less crowded, there would be far fewer issues for the CMs to have to deal with.
    Very true. But also, if Disney management hadn't decided to increase profits by cutting back on staffing levels and slashing the world-class University of Disneyland training program to a pathetic shadow of what it was, and if they valued and supported their CMs instead of seeing them as a necessary evil, there would be far fewer issues with overworked, under-supported and poorly trained CMs struggling to deal with the crowds.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    That's true. But the world would have fewer issues with less people in it, too. This is just what happens when there's a huge population of people who want to go to Disney, and admission is available at prices that they're willing to pay.

wow thats odd... that would terrify me too!!!!!
    HAVE A ZIPPIDY DOO DAH DAY
    ~HAKUNA MATATA~
    Amanda

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567