Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Terrifying Space Mountain experience

I went on space mountain today, and something totally weird and unexpected happened. Well, first I noticed a lot of the televisions were turned off or maybe broken, the lights on the beginning lift weren't working, and the projections weren't working (like always). But the terrifying part was about 15 seconds after the first hill. The ride became oddly fast, MUCH faster than usual. It became faster with every second, and it honestly scared me to death. The brakes seemed to be completely off or not working. The only brake that seemed to work was the one right after the part that takes your picture, which was a very painfully hard stop. By the time I got to the station, I wanted to get off immediately. But the ride never stopped. At all. It went right through the station without any stop to load or unload, so I had to go through that experience all over again. I love space mountain and it's one of my favorite rides, but what I experienced truly terrified me.

Re: Terrifying Space Mountain experience

Any word from the CM's afterwards? Maybe that should clear up any confusion.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Minion

That's bizarre that the ride would do that.

• Bri Guy

So the CMs let the train go through the station without saying anything?

I wasn't able to get any of the CMs attentions after the ride. I sent Disney and email, hopefully they can explain if this is some way to move lines faster or something.

Yeah! It was insane. They just said, "you're going again!"

• Minion

was the 2nd ride the same?
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

The second time was exactly the same. Absolutely horrifying.

•   
    • Minion

You know, there was one time I went on Space Mountain at the end of the night and it WAS so fast that it made me really nervous. So I could believe that this happened, and to the OP, I'm sorry you had that experience.

I've been told that a) the ride is faster at the end of the night because of more oil and less friction on the rails or something like that; b) the weight of your rocket makes a difference in how fast you go. If you're in a rocket that's heavier you will go faster. I have no idea how true either of those ideas are, but they would both make sense.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• MaliBOOMer

I'm jealous! I want that to happen to me! I would love it to go incredibly fast and then I get to ride it again immediately at that level of intensity!

Although it might become boring after an experience like that.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Minion

Not sure how this happened. It is true that a heavier sled can move out a little faster than others as it proceeds through the mountain, but if that rocket picks up too much speed it would intrude on the brake zone in front of it, sometimes getting too close to the train in front of it and cause a ride cascade and 101. Also having a hard time visualizing how trains were proceeding through the station without stopping, and how they weren't bumping into each other prior to the initial lift if that was the case (brakes not working).

I have a feeling that they didn't have very much trains on the track.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Like CASurfer65 mentioned, it was probably due to being a heavy sled.

Also, as far as I remember, all the brakes through from the lift hill to the re-entry tunnel do not act as trim brakes (reduces speed by opening and closing rapidly) but as zone brakes (prevents the roller coaster from entering the next zone if occupied by completely stopping the train). Again, CASurfer65 is correct that these zone brakes should have stopped the coaster from entering the next brake zone if it got too close to next train.

As for what Malina said about the oil, roller coasters tend to go faster as the day goes on because the bearings and the wheels tend to heat up and that usually contributes to faster speeds.

Finally, I'm at a loss of words on how the rocket went through the station without stopping.. hmm, no idea how that happened. If it actually happened, I would think that's a huge issue with their ride control that needs to be dealt with immediately.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jj94 View Post
    Like CASurfer65 mentioned, it was probably due to being a heavy sled.

Also, as far as I remember, all the brakes through from the lift hill to the re-entry tunnel do not act as trim brakes (reduces speed by opening and closing rapidly) but as zone brakes (prevents the roller coaster from entering the next zone if occupied by completely stopping the train). Again, CASurfer65 is correct that these zone brakes should have stopped the coaster from entering the next brake zone if it got too close to next train.

As for what Malina said about the oil, roller coasters tend to go faster as the day goes on because the bearings and the wheels tend to heat up and that usually contributes to faster speeds.

Finally, I'm at a loss of words on how the rocket went through the station without stopping.. hmm, no idea how that happened. If it actually happened, I would think that's a huge issue with their ride control that needs to be dealt with immediately.
    Me too, Jj. It's been YEARS since I worked Space, but a free moving train through the station with a CM telling people to stay seated because they have to go again is bizarre. I'm curious what the rockets in front of it were doing. Had they already proceeded through the station themselves, passed bars check, rounded the corner, and proceeded up lift 1 without stopping? And what were the tower and dispatch CMs doing? Trippy.

Personally I had a lot more experience working Matterhorn and we would get a ride cascade occasionally. Like Space though, the computer was programmed to shut the attraction down if one sled intruded on the brake zone of another.

As far as the number of rockets on the track, they do reduce the number of rockets on the line just as they do sleds on Matterhorn as the night progresses (if it isn't busy), but still I'm having difficulty seeing how this all happened.

As for wheels heating up on some roller coasters, etc....that all makes sense. But as you noted, even if that did happen on Space (or Matterhorn) and a train did move too fast (and subsequently into the zone of the next rocket), the brakes around the mountain would be set off as a safety measure.

Will be interesting to hear more details from the OP.

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back driving home from disneyland.

Anyway, yeah it was a confusing experience. And I noticed it was happening to other cars as well. They were going through the same exact hard and painful brake right before they go through the station, so I assume the other cars were also going very fast.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast