Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: Swiss Family Treehouse, Tony Baxter, and closing old attractions

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Heck I'd bet Tony's salary charged to the treehouse project would have paid for the demolition of said tree.
    What do Imagineers Make?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    What do Imagineers Make?
    They make Disney beancounters jealous. Imagineers (Tony especially) get the public's praise and adoration, the suits get the scorn. Even worse for the Beancounter Brigade that runs Disney's theme parks, people like Tony represent the attitudes of Walt -- which, no matter how hard the suits try, they can't completely purge from their corporation.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^what an optimistic view, Tony says he tried to save the Tree House from becoming another shop and I don't think he'd lie
    Not lie exactly... more like spin things in a pro-Tony light. Tony is trying to sell the image of Tony, and he learned from some of the best spin docters in the industry. He's pretty good at it.

When I read this, it basically comes off as Tony trying to have his cake and eat it too. He was single handedly responsible for saving the treehouse, but if there are any creative concerns with the project they should all be directed toward the terrible budget he was given? Obviously the truth is somewhere in the middle. The treehouse would have never been remade without the approval of many folks, including Pressler and Tony certainly does deserve some of the blame (if you can call it that) for the creative decisions made with the treehouse.

Moving figures? It probably would be better without any figures at all. Would have saved some money for something else too.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I heard this interview yesterday. It was very interesting to say the least.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Oh we had a lot of fun making Swiss Family Robinson
    Yes we had a lot of fun spending Walt Disney's five million.

Walt: "Five Million!!!"

They removed the water features, my favorite part was watching the water flow throughout the house. I remember hearing years ago of a movie reboot that would have enabled a switch back. I hope is happens one day since the cheap static figure overlay reminds me of that horrible Tarzan cartoon that's gone into obscurity.

There's also rides which make no sense financially (Jungle Cruise), but if it were to go, the park would be so much less because of it, and people would stop coming.
    Geez, could you imagine a world without the Jungle Cruise????

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Geez, could you imagine a world without the Jungle Cruise????

It would probably resemble cold-war soviet russia.

• Of Two Minds, or More

It would have to be one hell of a reboot. I recently listened to the book "Swiss Family Robinson". It's a bunch of paternalistic, imperialistic, racist, Euro-centric clap trap.

Sure the crafting tools and making "machines" out of nothing is cool, but the "natural sciences" involved in the story are bogus. The family is also seriously God focused in a way that many audiences today would never understand.

But hey, I'm all for a family marooned on an island doing cool things story. That might be fun.

• Tink

I suppose this may be a risky post.
    But I am going to give my opinion.

I am young. 19 years old almost 20. I went to Walt Disney World for the first time in May. I absolutely love Disney. I have not been to Disneyland yet. I have recently auditioned to be a CM Look Alike Character.

I have seen The Swiss Family Robinson a few times in my life and it is a vague memory.

I love tradition. I love Disney. And I would have loved to see the Robinson Tree House.

But here's another thing. I grew up on princess's. I watched Tarzan. I absolutely love Jane and the crazy monkeys and the sad story of that sweet tree house Tarzan lived in.

Disney has plenty of shopping hot spots. So I am glad this is not a retail store.

But what people are saying must be true. If I went to Disney and the tree house for the Swiss Family Robinson was up. I wouldn't make it my first trip. But Tarzan...there is also the opportunity to meet characters from Tarzan. Disney had a lot more to work from with that movie and a lot more opportunity to bring people over to that location.

It was a smart move to me. It makes a lot of sense.

So think of it from a young persons perspective. Tarzan will attract me. But a movie with old film quality will not.

And one day, I will have kids, and it will be the same thing for me with the attractions and movies I love.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post

But hey, I'm all for a family marooned on an island doing cool things story. That might be fun.

26 years / 370 episodes later - Hello!

Want to know what the show is known in other regions throughout the world?

Expedition Robinson

So, it's not like the format is irrelevant to today's audiences.

If Disney wanted to refresh the Robinson family for 21st Century audiences ... they can use the "Survivor" tv show .. with it's multiple incarnations all throughout the world, as proof the concept is still (very much) interesting.

Hey ... you know something ... if Disney can do a reboot of Pete's Dragon (of all things!)... they can do Swiss Family Robinson, and be an inspiration for the treehouse .... once again.

Personally .. I'd love for the toons to recede back into Fantasyland, where they belong! Their invasion into other lands, such as Tomorrowland, along with Adventureland .. take away the "surREAListic" qualities .. these lands so excelled at .. at one time.

That's why I continue to be the Disneyland fan I am to this day. The tangible "human" experiences. If it was all one giant Toon filled park .... I just wouldn't go. Toons simply don't resonate with me on a "personal" level.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post
    It would have to be one hell of a reboot. I recently listened to the book "Swiss Family Robinson". It's a bunch of paternalistic, imperialistic, racist, Euro-centric clap trap.

Sure the crafting tools and making "machines" out of nothing is cool, but the "natural sciences" involved in the story are bogus. The family is also seriously God focused in a way that many audiences today would never understand.

I respectfully disagree. I read it for my first time back when I was 7 or 8, and was so enthralled that when I re-read it the next time, I created a map of their island based upon the descriptions in the book. It was a sense of adventure, and I don't think it was any of what you described. Yes, the religious overtones were there, but that was the truth of families back then. Somewhat of a shame because a lot of good values come from the teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkTinkTX View Post
    I suppose this may be a risky post.
    But I am going to give my opinion.

I am young. 19 years old almost 20.

I have seen The Swiss Family Robinson a few times in my life and it is a vague memory.

I love tradition. I love Disney. And I would have loved to see the Robinson Tree House.

But here's another thing. I grew up on princess's. I watched Tarzan. I absolutely love Jane and the crazy monkeys and the sad story of that sweet tree house Tarzan lived in.

Disney has plenty of shopping hot spots. So I am glad this is not a retail store.

But what people are saying must be true. If I went to Disney and the tree house for the Swiss Family Robinson was up. I wouldn't make it my first trip. But Tarzan...there is also the opportunity to meet characters from Tarzan. Disney had a lot more to work from with that movie and a lot more opportunity to bring people over to that location.

It was a smart move to me. It makes a lot of sense.

So think of it from a young persons perspective. Tarzan will attract me. But a movie with old film quality will not.

And one day, I will have kids, and it will be the same thing for me with the attractions and movies I love.
    I am 35, and I don't feel that way. My kids haven't watched it through yet, but I hope my oldest (soon to be 7) reads the book as one of her first classics, and has the love for it which I had. I'm so glad I got to see it before it was bastardized into Tarzan's house. The SFR house had so much going for it over Tarzan's lair.

• Disneyland Dreamer

BTW, they did a SFR series if I recall correctly. It did not capture the imagination.

• Tink

Well everyone has their own opinion (: you are much older so I'm glad you got to see it before they "(enter foul word) as Tarzan's lair"

good night all. Have a magical night

oh, and i love your avatar beautiful family fun i hope to have one day

• Senior Minion

...I read it [Swiss Family Robinson] for my first time back when I was 7 or 8, and was so enthralled that when I re-read it the next time, I created a map of their island based upon the descriptions in the book. It was a sense of adventure, and I don't think it was any of what you described. Yes, the religious overtones were there, but that was the truth of families back then. Somewhat of a shame because a lot of good values come from the teachings.
    I totally agree. For a story written by a Swiss clergyman as entertainment and moral instruction for his four young sons (one of whom would first publish it in 1812), it holds up remarkably well today -- as long as one doesn't attempt to judge 200 year old European cultural standards by those of today's America.

BTW, they did a SFR series if I recall correctly. It did not capture the imagination.
    There was an SFR series produced by Irwin Allen and 20th Century Fox in 1976 starring Martin Milner and Helen Hunt, and it was pretty awful. Mercifully canceled after one season. Another SFR series in 1998, this one a mega-low budgeter with Richard "John-Boy Walton" Thomas, was even worse.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast