Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Silent Lucidity

Re: Behind the Soarin projection screen

That is very cool! Who knew, that at any time, while we have been enjoying Soarin, someone could have been watching us from behind the screen.

Speaking of seeing the backside of things in Disneyland, I don't know about you, but we have seen the backside of water on Jungle Cruise many many times...

Very nice! So jealous!! Thanks for sharing with all of use.

• Goofy

how interesting thanks.

How do you get tours like backstage tours at Disneyland because I am planning on going on Next Friday or Thursday. I really would like a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jose92397 View Post
    How do you get tours like backstage tours at Disneyland because I am planning on going on Next Friday or Thursday. I really would like a tour.
    I don't think the Disneyland tours offer backstage tours like that. The way I was able to go backstage and stuff is by signing up for a tour from Adventures By Disney, which is just another Disney touring group. But who knows, maybe Disneyland does offer those tours as well.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I don't think the Disneyland tours offer backstage tours like that. The way I was able to go backstage and stuff is by signing up for a tour from Adventures By Disney, which is just another Disney touring group. But who knows, maybe Disneyland does offer those tours as well.
    Adventures by Disney seems to be Disney facilitated, and I don't see anything related to said tours. Any specifics?

Southern California Vacation with Disney Tours | Adventures By Disney
    This was the tour I went on. Highlight of the trip was going to the actual Disney vault and seeing the original stretching paintings from the Haunted Mansion and all the original concept art for Disneyland that Walt designed.

I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing...
    Name:  hat mandrini line drawing large business card 2 resized down and centered.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  85.2 KB

​Very cool! Disney is even cooler backstage!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

That sounds like a magical experience. I am very surprised to hear that the clean the screen regularly. It always looks dirty to me. Maybe it is just stained or damaged in places.

Quote Originally Posted by bamato View Post
    So they do clean the screen? Strange, as it always seems dirty when I go. Perhaps bad timing.
    I don't think they clean the screen nightly. I think the tour guide was mistaken. I too have witnessed a dirty screen on many visits, especially near the bottom of the dome where it would easily collect the most dust because of the angle.

I used to work at an IMAX theater and the screen cleaning process is extremely delicate. I've never heard of an automated sweeper for a silver screen or any movie screen for that matter. In fact, I'm shocked they allowed anyone to even touch any part of the screen. I don't care how clean your hand is, the oil from our fingers destroys a movie screen.

Screens don't need to be regularly cleaned and in the case of Soarin' I don't believe falling objects can reach the screen. Thrown objects- yes. However, if an object of any weight were to fall on the screen it could easily tear it and it would've been poor design to place the guest directly over the screen because you'd risk significant damage to a very expensive piece of equipment.

What I think the tour guide may have been explaining or what the guide might have misunderstood (when it was explained to him) is the automated wiper on the IMAX film projector.

I love reading things like this about Disney backstage. It has been a number of years now, but back in I think it was 1999 or 2000, before DCA, I was a member of a small engineering club at a University. One of our group members worked for Disney, did electrical work on attractions as well as emergency repairs during park open hours. He told us if we wanted to see some interesting engineering stuff to meet him at a place on Ball road just before the park closed. About 8 of us did. We spent the next full 8 hours, from park closing to just before it reopened, exploring the engineering marvel that is Disneyland. About 2/3 of the time was spent in the West side of the park because that is where his responsibilities were and what he knew the most about. We got seriously up close and personal with many of the major attractions.

I remember we spent a long time in Indy (we walked the entire ride path) The jeeps are all hydraulic powered, and have around 50g of fluid onboard. The early years of the ride it was not uncommon for one to blow a hose and dump 50g of fluid thus closing the ride for a while. The jeeps are also guided from the front with steering in the rear, a particular setup that means they can't drive backwards, the maintenance area is one big loop.

The Tiki room was really neat too. At the time it was still all original (not sure about now), the way all the audio animetronics, lights, and multi-channel soundtrack were all synchronized was shear enginnering art. We asked if there were plans to go with computer and digital controls, the reply was "It works and is reliable, till that changes we just keep it maintained"

I saw a lot of really neat stuff that night and am gratefull for the chance to see how some of the magic works. Even knowing what I know, it does not diminish my enjoyment at the park.
    Last edited by dragondad; 09-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.

It's exciting to hear about how they do it all!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    I love reading things like this about Disney backstage. It has been a number of years now, but back in I think it was 1999 or 2000, before DCA, I was a member of a small engineering club at a University. One of our group members worked for Disney, did electrical work on attractions as well as emergency repairs during park open hours. He told us if we wanted to see some interesting engineering stuff to meet him at a place on Ball road just before the park closed. About 8 of us did. We spent the next full 8 hours, from park closing to just before it reopened, exploring the engineering marvel that is Disneyland. About 2/3 of the time was spent in the West side of the park because that is where his responsibilities were and what he knew the most about. We got seriously up close and personal with many of the major attractions.

I remember we spent a long time in Indy (we walked the entire ride path) The jeeps are all hydraulic powered, and have around 50g of fluid onboard. The early years of the ride it was not uncommon for one to blow a hose and dump 50g of fluid thus closing the ride for a while. The jeeps are also guided from the front with steering in the rear, a particular setup that means they can't drive backwards, the maintenance area is one big loop.

The Tiki room was really neat too. At the time it was still all original (not sure about now), the way all the audio animetronics, lights, and multi-channel soundtrack were all synchronized was shear enginnering art. We asked if there were plans to go with computer and digital controls, the reply was "It works and is reliable, till that changes we just keep it maintained"

I saw a lot of really neat stuff that night and am gratefull for the chance to see how some of the magic works. Even knowing what I know, it does not diminish my enjoyment at the park.
    Wow you guys are really lucky! I love backstage stuff which mainly comes from my interest in performing arts.

It's probably a perception trick, but I'm curious: if the jeeps can't back up how does the indy-on-a-vine part work? Indy comes down and the car seems to back up.

I believe we get the impression of backing up at the boulder part too.

Spoiler alert!

You are correct, the jeep does not back up, the shell of the room is on rollers and moves forward while the boulder rolls toward you and Indy! The jeep stays still, raises the front and vibrates to make you feel like you are backing down a hill. The room stops and the jeep continues on the track. If you are at the side of the jeep and look down where the wall of the cave meets the floor you can see the jeep is sitting still and the room moves.

It is a neat trick, even though I know EXACTLY how it works, unless I am on the side of the jeep looking right at it, I still feel like I am moving backwards!

Another fun fact, the room dark tunnel where there is no effect, just dark (might be different now)? My friend said, "Yea, they had something planned there but literally ran out of money, so they just made it dark!"
    Last edited by dragondad; 09-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12