Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Star Tours makes me 'ooky'. Any suggestions?

The last time I was on ST was probably 2005. After being able to ride it for years, it made me pretty darn queasy so I never tried it again. I've seen in other threads that since the re-do it isn't quite as nausea-inducing, but I was still afraid to try it last Feb. So, my question is, for any of you who get motion sickness but still manage ST, how do you do it? And barring that, are there barf-bags? And barring that, can I at least walk the queue with my friends then duck out an exit?

I did Space Mtn in Feb and I managed to just make it back to the GCH & was sick as a dog for about 3 hours . Odd that I did SM Ghost Galaxy without a problem in Oct, yet 4 months later, without the overlay, it made me sick. Weird. Anyway, I've given SM up, but it would be nice if I could figure a way to do ST. I really used to enjoy it.

I really hate motion sickness!!! Never had it until maybe 15 years ago. Another thing I hate is doctors using the phrase 'at a certain age these things sometimes start happening' which is what he said when I saw him to find out why.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Just splashing around...

Re: Star Tours makes me 'ooky'. Any suggestions?

I get motion sickness, too. I would never choose to ride Star Tours, but if the person/people I'm with want to go, I go along, and just ride it with my eyes closed. For me, it isn't about the actual motion of the room, it's watching the projections on the screen. (I can't watch 3D movies for the same reason.) Every once in awhile I open one eye a tiny bit to see what's going on, then close it again. This approach works for me. A wasted however-long-it-takes since I'm not enjoying the ride, but the people I'm with get to, and I don't get sick.

• Foolish Mortal

I'm in a similar boat, I haven't ridden ST for years due to feeling sick afterwards. Friends have suggested taking Dramamine or any other motion sickness pills before heading out to the resort. I've yet to try it though, I'd rather not risk feeling like doo-doo for the rest of the day. Another one that makes me feel ill is Indiana Jones, due to the excessive and over the top bumpiness programmed into the jeeps. However, I did read that they toned down the bumpy factor of the jeeps....again, I've yet to try it.

Motion sickness typically manifests when what your body is experiencing is different than what you are seeing. If the video was out of sync with the motions of the simulator, this could have been what caused the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by moregumboplease View Post
    Another one that makes me feel ill is Indiana Jones, due to the excessive and over the top bumpiness programmed into the jeeps. However, I did read that they toned down the bumpy factor of the jeeps....again, I've yet to try it.
    It varies ride to ride on it. Go on it, and its smooth, then turn right back around with a FP, and the next ride is horribly bumpy. No rhyme or reason.

• Singing Drinker

I've had friends who at least *SHOULD* be more knowledgeable than I tell me it's because of slight synchronization errors that creep in over the years - the film and the ride program fall just enough off track to make those sensitive to the shift (such as myself) ill.

I've ridden the new version once or twice. It's nowhere near as bad, but for some reason it's still worse than quite a few motion simulators I've been on. YMMV, but I'm not sure there's any real solution other than Dramamine and the unfortunate attendant side effzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you really want to ride but are wary of nausea, they don't have barf bags so bring your own. Ginger is a natural remedy for motion sicnkess/seasickness, so having some ginger tablets/capsules on hand and taking one before you ride might help. or bring a bottle of ginger ale or 7Up (both are known to help settle queasy stomachs) with you and if you feel nauseated after riding, pull that out but SIP from the bottle, don't chug or you'll make it worse.

• Senior Minion

The addition of 3D to ST has created a certain additional queasiness element. However I did find that the new edition was an overall smoother flight.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Closed Account

I get motion sick on a lot of rides, so most of the time I choose to just not ride them. I suffer from chronic nausea and well let's just say that rides like Star Tours, the Teacups, and Soarin' only increase the yucky feelings in my stomach. They do not have barf bags on Star Tours, or any Disneyland or DCA rides for that matter. I can understand why they don't, because no one wants to dispose of that junk. And yes, there have been people who have gotten sick on Disneyland and DCA rides. I have seen people throw up on Star Tours and I've also seen someone throw up on the Disneyland Railroad.

There are a few "common sense" things that you can do to make it more likely that you won't get sick on the ride:
    Don't consume any dairy products right before the ride - milk, chocolate milk, ice cream, etc
    Make sure you are hydrated with WATER not soda prior to riding
    Try not to sit on the end of a row, but rather in the middle of a row.
    Don't ride right after eating a big meal.
    Don't ride on a completely empty stomach either.

I find that for me, a soft pretzel about a half hour before a "yucky" ride can help make the ride less yucky for me.

When all of that fails, I have a plan A, plan B, plan C, and plan D.
    Plan A - is that I always wear Psi Bands on rides that make me feel yucky. I have used Psi Bands with a lot of success on Soarin', Matterhorn, Teacups, Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, and even Tower Of Terror (though I will never in a million years go back on that ride). Psi Bands come in a number of different colors. They work by putting pressure on a pressure point, and they do work, 100%. I used to use Sea Bands, a similar concept, but I prefer Psi Bands because then don't get soggy (Sea Bands are made of terry cloth type material whereas Psi Bands are made of a waterproof material. The good thing about them is they don't make you drowsy like the over the counter nausea medications do.

Plan B - I always have either Sea Band Ginger Gum, Queasy Pops, or Queasy Drops on hand, and I chew a piece of gum, suck on a Queasy Drop, or have a Queasy Pop prior to riding the ride. My favorite of those three is actually Sea Band Ginger Gum, but I have this big "rule" about not taking gum into Disneyland, so I usually take the Queasy Drops with me. I usually suck a Queasy Drop right before a "yucky" ride and the effect lasts long enough to get me through the ride. Make sure you consume the product of your choice while you are in line, near the front of the line, not before you get into line, or it will wear off by the time you get a chance to ride.

Plan C - I always have on hand either Hyland's Natural Relief Motion Sickness Tablets or Nauzene Motion Tablets. I prefer the Hyland's Natural Relief Motion Sickness Tablets. For the best results, dissolve three under your tongue (you can also swallow them) about 15 minutes before you get on the ride. I find that they will usually last about 2-3 hours. Sometimes I will take 2 instead of 3, so that I can top the dose off later. You can take them every 4 hours. Both the Hyland's and the Nauzene products are non drowsy.

When all else fails, I bring in Plan D, the big guns - I try to avoid taking these products, because they make you so drowsy that you can "crash" similar to a sugar crash and your day at the park could be totally ruined. However, there are those days when it's take something and feel drowsy or go home after only one ride, so I will usually take something. My favorite thing to take at the park is Zentrip Motion Sickness Strips, you dissolve them on your tongue. They contain Meclizine, but I find that the strips make me less drowsy then taking a Meclizine pill. I have been known to take Dramamine or Meclizine as well. If you do end up taking something that causes drowsiness, I always recommend drinking something with caffeine in it when you first feel the drowsiness set in, sure you will get the sugar crash later, but it's better than ending a day at Disneyland prematurely.

If you do end up with a stomach ache, you can find root beer at most places in the park, it's great for settling down an upset stomach. A plain Mickey pretzel without salt, a Dole Whip, a fruit plate, or my favorite a Mint Julep are great to settle down a sick stomach.

I hope you enjoy your time at Disneyland.

•   

I was going to recommend the bands. Our friends with Motion sickness wore them on our last trip and could ride anything, although the swinging cars on the fun wheel made them almost lose it.

(As a side note, those are the only rides in Disneyland or DCS with barf bags).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I did Space Mtn in Feb and I managed to just make it back to the GCH & was sick as a dog for about 3 hours . Odd that I did SM Ghost Galaxy without a problem in Oct, yet 4 months later, without the overlay, it made me sick. Weird.
    I would imagine it was because you could see more of your surroundings, including the track, with the overlay. That hand that chases you around does a good job of lighting the way.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    The addition of 3D to ST has created a certain additional queasiness element. However I did find that the new edition was an overall smoother flight.
    Good point! So I would try sitting in the center, rather than the extreme sides, particularly in the front row. I think there is less of a 3D shift when you move your head. I don't get queasy on rides (ooh but I do get sea sickness in choppy water), and I felt slightly dizzy after sitting on the extreme right seat in the front row. It seemed like everyone I moved my head, the 3D shifted really badly.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I would recommend something natural or homeopathic so you don't accidentally take too much. I actually think the Sea Band idea is the best because then you don't have to worry about taking some medicine and when you will take it. You just wear the band like a bracelet and go have worry free fun. I've suffered from mild motion sickness since I was little, yet rides have never made me even the slightest bit queasy, probably because I'm always having so much fun!
    I recently had to take an overnight ferry trip and wasn't sure how I'd do since I hadn't been on a boat in awhile. I popped some ginger pills and ended up having a splendid time. I woke up in the night to use the restroom and the rocking of the boat was getting to me so I popped some more ginger and went back to sleep. Ginger seems to agree with my type of motion sickness.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• The doctor is in

If it makes you sick don't ride it. Simple as that.

I have vertigo issues and have noticed since the big 3D push in both rides and movies I get headaches a little easier than I did with the original rides. I can ride Star Tours but I usually walk off the ride with a minor headache. I would suggest if you get motion sick to take some medication prior to riding any rides that could aggravate it. If that doesn't work maybe skip the attractions altogether.

• Blew By You

You may have to keep off Star Tours if your motion sickness gets worse. I'm a life long sufferer and have been on Star Tours only once. But I can get on Tea Cups and the King Arthur's Carousel and Space Mountain for some reason. I guess they are not motion simulators nor do they last too long. Also, Tea Cups and the Carousel are outdoors attractions. Your the judge about what remedies you'll want to try. Nothing has worked for me, so that's made my decision easy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast