Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Let's talk "tomorrow"

In my vast travels across the internet, I've always come upon many an opinion in regards to the fate of Tomorrowland; the elimination of all franchises? The expansion of Star Wars and Tron? Marvel? A return to the 1967-style? A remake of Florida's 90's rehab? The list goes on and on.

So, that being said, let's discuss our ideal visions of Tomorrowland, what needs to be done, what's the worst thing about it, what's the best thing about it, etc.

My personal conflict with the land is the current upkeep. Theming aside, the land is a MESS; garbage, peeling-paint, scratched-windows, and abandoned tracks are EVERYWHERE. The plants in the Star Tours queue are dying, Autopia and the old motor boat area look like something out of a horror movie set in the woods, the Starcade is a heap of hot mess, and so on so forth.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Let's talk "tomorrow"

I don't know if any of you are following the Alternate Reality game Disney has going on right now called "The Optimist" but it has heavy Tomorrowland involvement. We believe it is a big buildup for the Tomorrowland movie. It would not suprise me if any future theming of Tomorrowland included large amounts of ideas from this movie (if it is a success).

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson

• Minion

Ok so I think I'll look at this attraction by attraction.

1. Astro Orbiter- The paint scheme looks ugly with its silver and gold mix. It clogs up the entrance to Tomorrowland along with the ugly French fry rocks. Remove all of it and create a beautiful garden area with palm trees to make the land inviting. It would also help create a transition between Main Street and Tomorrowland. Return the Rocket Jets to their proper place on top of the PeopleMover station.

2. Star Tours -The Adventures Continue - This is my second favorite ride in Tomorrowland, and I do not think any changes are necessary. However, I would like to see the outside mural removed and something more futuristic like a giant video screen with advertisements of futuristic companies and products.

3. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - We already have a better Toy Story video game attraction in DCA, so I think that Buzz should be removed and replaced by a condensed version of Adventures Thru Inner Space with physical sets and modern special effects. Once again, the outside mural would be replaced by a giant video screen that has advertisements of futuristic products.

4. Star Trader - Offer more land specific merchandise that isn't just franchises like Star Wars and Iron Man.

5. Buzz Lightyear store - same as star trader

6. PeopleMover track - Return the People Mover to Tomorrowland except with a sleeker, modern design and slightly faster speed than the original.

7. Tomorrowland Terrace - Offer higher quality food. Keep the Jedi Training Academy.

8. Starcade - Remove b/c arcades are not futuristic. Replace with the entrance queue to Space Mountain.

9. Captain EO- Replace with a Wall-E special effects show with a starfield and an AA Wall-E.

10. Space Mountain - This is my favorite ride in Tomorrowland, so the ride and indoor queue is perfect as it is. However the outside needs to be reconfigured. Have it so you enter from the Starcade and go up the speed ramp the go on the outside part as normal.

11. Pizza Port - Remove and replace with Alien Encounter which was formerly at WDW in Florida. Add a nice sleek fountain in front of it. Offer a nice seating area in between it and the Wall-E show.

12. Autopia - I'm not going to remove it entirely b/c I recognize its historical significance in the park, but I think it should be reconfigured. Get rid of the ugly violet and green Autopia queue building including the track and move the station and queue over to Fantasyland by the old Motorboat Cruise dock. Maybe retheme the cars to look more whimisical to reflect the fantasy theme.

13. Innoventions- Remove it along with the Carousel Building and replace it with an E-ticket Tron thrill ride that utilizes the Innoventions space and the Autopia queue space. The ride would utilize ride vehicles similar to the ones used for Spiderman and Transformers at Universal Studios. The ride would have heavy use for lasers and there would be AA Tron characters instead of projected ones. The PeopleMover would have a peek into the showbuilding.

14. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage- Get rid of the Nemo theme and replace it with something closer to the original, exploring the dark depths of the ocean.

15. Monorail- Reroute it slightly so it does not run into the Tron showbuilding, but other than that, it is perfect as it is.

17. Overall land- Improve the cosmetics of the land by painting pretty much everything blue, white, silver, and gray with chrome accents. Think Star Tours in terms of the paint scheme.

18. Improve on keeping the land clean, free of trash and chipped paint.
    Last edited by frollofan; 07-31-2013 at 10:20 AM.

• Senior Minion

How to fix Tomorrowland:

1. Balance management's risk-averse beancounter groupthink with creative innovation and originality.

2. Repeat #1 as necessary.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Well:
    -I would love to see some Tron put in there somewhere... that would be cool!
    -I would love to see some old rides put back in.
    -I would love Alien Encounter brought to DL.
    -I would love everything just refurbished to look better.
    -I would love the people mover fixed.

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post

13. Innoventions- Remove it along with the Carousel Building and replace it with an E-ticket Tron thrill ride that utilizes the Innoventions space and the Autopia queue space. The ride would utilize ride vehicles similar to the ones used for Spiderman and Transformers at Universal Studios. The ride would have heavy use for lasers and there would be AA Tron characters instead of projected ones. The PeopleMover would have a peek into the showbuilding.
    THIS....

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

ASTRO ORBITER.....As frollofan suggests; it should be removed from Main Street USA and put back in Tomorrowland on top of the PeopleMover platform.

STAR TOURS.....Keep for now but I would eventually like to see it replaced with an original (ie, not movie based) attraction sometime within the next 10 - 12 years.

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR..... I am with frollofan 100% on this one. An updated 21st century version of Adventure thru Innerspace would be perfect here!

PEOPLEMOVER.....Modern, enclosed with solar powered AC and a voice recognition computer armed with tons of trivia about everything Disney to chat with. Extend track to a showbuilding (to be built near or on top of Small World) so passengers can catch a glimpse of the 22nd Century city of CenterCore

STARCADE..... Redo both floors and bring in unique-to-Disneyland video games including the latest in virtual reality.

CAPTAIN EO..... Replace with The Space Bear Cosmic Hoedown.....the Country Bears are back.....from outer-space; and they brought with them a couple of new friends and a half a dozen new songs including Space Oddity, Rocket Man and Calling Occupants.

SPACE MOUNTAIN.... I'd bring back the Speed Ramps...nothing futuristic about stairs.

REDD ROCKETS.... Re-theme into the dining deck of an Inter-moon ferry traveling around Jupiter. The booths would be semi-private, each with a good-sized porthole view of the gas giant below. Full Service with an eclectic menu featuring NY style pizza, Greek and Asian specialties.

INNOVENTIONS..... Bring back a forward looking Carousel show....something akin to a Horizons/Carousel of Progress mosh-up.

AUTOPIA..... This one is a no-brainer to me.....Solar powered Hover-cars

MOTORBOAT LAGOON.... I know it was a Fantasyland attraction but its' absence has had some effect on TL (it was one of many things that used to provide TL with Kinetic excitement). I say borrow the Aquatopia from Tokyo and put it into the old MB lagoon.

SKYWAY........ Speaking of Kinetic excitement, nothing has had a bigger negative effect on TL than the loss of this attraction. Bring it back and outfit with any modern accoutrements that may be required.

SUBMARINES..... Keep mostly the same except replace everything Nemo related with something more scientific.

MONORAIL...... Add a stop near the Grand Californian Hotel's entrance to DCA. Update the trains with something as good as the ol Mark III's.
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 07-31-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

i'm praying that the tomorrowland movie does well. i have faith in brad bird and damon lindelof to create a world thats rich enough to provide a singular aesthetic for a tomorrowland remodel.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by thedustycoyote View Post
    i'm praying that the tomorrowland movie does well. i have faith in brad bird and damon lindelof to create a world thats rich enough to provide a singular aesthetic for a tomorrowland remodel.
    I LOST all faith in Damon Lindelof on May 23, 2010.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I would love to see the subs reworked. Disney did a 3D documentary years ago called Aliens of the Deep about how deep sea exploration could help us in the search for life beyond this planet. I think the technology currently in place in the lagoon would be perfect foe this tpe of re-theming, and it would fit perfectly into a space-age tomorrowland concept. It could really be a spectacular attraction.

• Not the Hawkguy

1.Astro Orbiter - My main problem with it is that it clogs up the path between Tomorrowland proper and Main Street, turning that whole area into an unwieldy mass of people. I don't know if I want to put it back on top of the People Mover platform, though. I'd rather see it return to it's classic theme and have it replace the water globe plaza in front of Space Mountain. I'll go into the reason for this in a second.

2.People Mover - Now that Astro Blasters has been moved, I'm taking this area and turning it into the new entranceway for a TRON-themed ride using the old People Mover track. I'm thinking closer to Rocket Rods in speed, but done right with banked curves and a much more reliable system.

3.Star Wars mini-land - This is a big part. I'm taking the backstage area between Main Street and Tomorrowland and turning it into a mini-land themed after Mos Eisley. Space Traders and the Star Tours exit gets moved over to this side, along with the Jedi Training Academy show. A Mos Eisley Cantina will be the big eating area over here, and a second Star Wars-themed dark ride will take over the Magic Eye Theater space (note, this means that the Magic Eye theater will be gone, and the exit for Space Mountain will be moved over to where the current entrance is. This will make more sense in a bit). The Starcade will end up being moved to the second floor only, as the first floor will become the pathway between the new Star Wars land and Tomorrowland proper. This is also why the Astro Orbiter was moved to the new location: it provides a big landmark and thematic sign that this is a different area. Construction on this area will take longer than anything else, as multiple floors will be dug out to allow for current backstage areas to remain in place.

4.Pizza Port - Gone. With a new Mos Eisley Cantina built nearby, his space is now freed up for

5.Innoventions - Also gone, and becomes the Stark Expo, an E-ticket ride in the vein of Spiderman, Transformers, and Dark Journey at Universal. Pizza Port now becomes the entrance queue, with nods to Carousel of Progress and Innoventions by having it show off technology from the past, present, and future, including live demonstrations of new technologies to entertain people in line (and provide an easy way to get sponsorship money).

6.Autopia - Not gone, but moved to Fantasyland. A new station is built where the current off-road section is, and the ride's length is reduced. Station themed for Fantasyland. Cars are nowAlso included are more bridges over water, because of

7.Motor Boat Cruise - Reopened, and reusing the current Fantasia Gardens as the loading platform. The ride itself will work more like Aquatopia at DisneySea, and will be themed for Fantasyland as well.

8.Autopia Station - This land is now opened up for a new ride. Personally, I'm not sure what I'd put here, because while I'd like to put a roller coaster of some kind in the area, the idea of a roller coaster just sitting in the open seems very un-Disneylike, and adding another E-ticket to an area that already has SM, Star Tours, and the Stark Expo ride seems uneconomical. In my mind, this is where I'd put a new show building and add a 21st-Century version of Adventure Thru Inner Space. Monorail and People Mover tracks rerouted to accommodate this change.

9.Tomorrowland Station - A personal change, but Tomorrowland Station gets rebuilt to bring it up to par with Main Street and New Orleans Stations (in my optimal idea, Toon Town Station is also moved to become a part of a new Discoveryland north of Frontierland, but I digress).

10.Complete retheme - And by this, I mean the outer theming. When I think of the future, I think of bright lights and clean colors, and that's what the new Tomorrowland will reflect. A lot of white and blues will adorn he walls of many of the buildings, and at night, the entire area should light up with neon and fluorescent lights, which should draw eyes and reinforce the idea that the new Tomorrowland should be a shining beacon into the world of tomorrow.

11.Extras - This is where I note that I'm keeping SM, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, and the Nemo submarines. Nemo was probably the closest to being cut, but the ride has a place as being accessible for all ages. Outdoor retheming will help rides like Buzz and Nemo fit in more with the land. Also remaining will be Tomorrowland Terrace, which will continue to host nighttime concerts.

'll look at this attraction by attraction in the same order as the OP..

1. Astro Orbiter- It's time for the AO and it's rocks to go away. There was no reason to remove it from its original position. Put it back

2. Star Tours -The Adventures Continue - This is my favorite ride in Tomorrowland, and I do not think any changes are necessary.

3. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - Time for Buzz to move out. An improved ATIS could be put in. New technology can create a more realistic experience. Shrink down past the nucleus.
    OR let's go for a completely new ride: An interactive Mission Control, a robotic factory (Wall-E?) or some other dark ride experience.

4. Star Trader - Offer more land specific merchandise that isn't just franchises like Star Wars and Iron Man.

5. Buzz Lightyear store - Do we really need a second Star Trader?

6. PeopleMover - Return the People Mover to Tomorrowland except with a sleeker, modern design and slightly faster speed than the original. To ease congestion, remove the track section down the center of TL. Instead, the ride heads straight towards the upper level of the Starcade after loading. The track section that exits Astro Blaster will arch across to Star Tours. This arch will be the new gateway to TL.

7. Tomorrowland Terrace - Offer better food and put in more live entertainment.

8. Captain EO- Put the Jedi Training Academy in here. The theater can be totally themed for the experience or remove the roof and people can watch from above while waiting to enter SM.

9. Starcade - The upper level goes to the PM. The lower level can go to the Space Mountain queue or Star Traders so we can use the Buzz Lightyear store for something useful.

10. Space Mountain - This is my second favorite ride in Tomorrowland, but the indoor queue needs work. The claustrophobic hallway needs something interactive. What's behind the walls? Could they be pushed back a bit and add some scenery? Put the speed ramps back in.

11. Pizza Port - Buy your pizza at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Offer higher quality food here. Since this was the old Mission to Mars building, make some references to it. An AA Mr. T. Morrow could come on once in a while with a short program (with appropriate lighting, video wall, etc) then close curtain.

12. Autopia - Electric, Electric, Electric. Going to electric cars should have been done long ago. Without the problem of exhaust fumes, part of the track could go into a tunnel or a themed section.

13. Innoventions- Sorry OP, I like the Carousel Building. Time for a new revolving show. I've always liked a Carousel of Disney. The show highlights cutting edge technology of the past to the present, then the future using Disneyland as it's example. Ride tech, AA advancement, originality and future rides. It would also showcase how it all comes together and hosted by T. Morrow, Mr. Johnson (in NASA lab coat) or a new AA personality. Keep it fast paced and it stays interesting and it could be updated as needed. Put the speedramp back in after the last section and take the audience upstairs. The upper floor would have a model of Disneyland (with moving parts) and an AA narrator pointing out how the park has changed. The PeopleMover would have a peek into the show building at this level (like it did when the Epcot model was here). I thought about an AA Walt Disney opening the show but I'm sure some people would balk.

14. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage- Get rid of the Nemo theme and replace it with something closer to the original, exploring the dark depths of the ocean or how the oceans could be used more Eco-friendly. The tech invented for Nemo could help make it look as realistic as possible or add some comic relief.

15. Monorail- Perfect as it is but I do like retro themeing.

16. Overall land- Improve the cosmetics of the land by painting pretty much everything blue, white, silver, and gray with chrome accents. The archecture could be unified throughout. Needs lots of lighting at night. SInce the PM track was removed down the center, replace the murals on ST and BLAB with video walls or place an overhead LED lightshow over the entire corridor (like they have in Vegas). During the day it's just a shade, at night it lights up.

17. Improve on keeping the land clean, free of trash and chipped paint. Add landscaping and planters to add color.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    2. Star Tours -The Adventures Continue - This is my second favorite ride in Tomorrowland, and I do not think any changes are necessary. However, I would like to see the outside mural removed and something more futuristic like a giant video screen with advertisements of futuristic companies and products.
    I strongly despise the prequels, but maybe something like the outside of the Coruscant club in Episode II? Where the bright neon advertisements would air. Either that or move the destination advertisements located on the indoor screen outside. I always found it a bit difficult to focus my attention on just one thing in the Star Tours queue. You have the video screen, C-3PO talking to R2 in the Starspeeder and the robots in the observation deck. Putting the destination advertisements and departure/arrivals outside would not only attract more people to the ride but it would look really cool. Especially at night.

Aside from that, I think Tomorrowland just needs to be totally redone. It is by far the dirtiest land in the park in terms of trash and appearance, the most crowded (aside from Fantasyland), and it doesn't really flow with the rest of the land transitions. It's a lot different walking into Adventureland than it is Tomorrowland. By that I mean it's a lot more pleasing to the eye. From Main Street you are just kind of pushed into Tomorrowland because you can see just about everything without having to walk inside. You can see the abandoned tracks, the ugly Astro Orbitor, and the stroller alley.

What I would do:

1. Remove the People Mover track. People need to face that it's not going to be used and just rip it out.

2. Give the outdoor portion of the Space Mountain queue something. I don't care what it is. It is just painful up there. Not to mention uncomfortable.

3. Replace Innoventions. I still think a Stark Expo would be awesome and wouldn't overload the Marvel aspect, but I would take a Tron attraction.

4. Severely remodel or remove Autopia. The smell alone is enough to make you sick. Removal of the ride would allow enough space for a great attraction.

5. Make Finding Nemo an official boundary into Fantasyland. It has nothing to do with Tomorrowland.

6. Remove Captain EO (as much as I love it) and put in the Alien Encounter from WDW or a Wall-E show. The idea of putting a Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in that spot should have made me laugh but it just made me sick. The idea is to fix Tomorrowland, not make it worse.

7. Remove Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. It is a fun ride but it doesn't really serve any purpose. The wait time is always short, the queue is filthy, and each time I have been on it I've gotten stuck at least once.

8. In addition to #7, I would remove the Pizza Port and make it a working Pizza Planet. This would also give the opportunity to remove the Starcade as the arcade aspect of Tomorrowland could be inside Pizza Planet. That and they could still have their lousy pizza and pasta. With the removal of the Astro Blasters this would still keep the Toy Story inclusion at 2 and not 3.

• Blew By You

1. Don't use Star Wars, TRON, or other current entertainment media for a Tomorrowland revision. MAKE the Immagineers work and create new novel concepts from current scientific research. The creative concept would be already diminished when Star Tours, etc are used. It's old already.
    2. Remove Innoventions building, Pizza Port, the 3-D theater, Starcade, every inch of the PeopleMover track. It's all clutter. Reusing any of these scraps is the cheap way to rebuild.
    3. Yes please move the Astro Orbiter.
    4. Expand Tomorrowland Terrace. Tomorrowland doesn't need two restaurants. Keep it counter service; I like talking with the CMs.
    5. Bring back one classic attraction: People Mover, Mission to..., or Inner Space. I think nostalgia has a place in the next Tomorrowland.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'll post my own ideas later. But first, I don't want to see Tomorrowland's face-lift modeled after a film...why not be original? I mean, I don't mind a little bit of Star Wars and Tron, but not for the whole land.

My first major idea would be to add Alien Encounter; honestly, today's generation is probably more capable of handling such an attraction. True, the modern day is a bit more politically correct, but installing a height-limit or age-limit (although no one could prove the age), AND HUGE warning signs may lead the attraction to better success. Heck, I'll even retool the script if I have to.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast