Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

The worst thing I ever did as a CM -- sell people blue raspberry churros

So I was thinking about this yesterday when someone commented that the Limited Time Magic was the worst promotion that Disney ever came up with. Unfortunately, that is not true at all. I was actually there for the worst promotion ever, and I'm afraid that I did in fact sell some poor unfortunate souls a blue raspberry churro. Here is my confession.

In the summer of 1998, everyone was excited for the brand new "nighttime streettacular" parade called Light Magic. At that point, Disney had recently created Splash Mountain, Fantasmic, and the Indiana Jones Adventure, and so everyone was sure that Light Magic would be a tremendous success (before we saw it). Our manager in Outdoor Vending wanted some kind of promotional item to sell to tie in to this newest mega-success beyond a themed popcorn bucket. So they came up with the idea of a churro that sparkled thinking that it would look like the new parade. After experimenting with several different kinds of sugar, they decided that blue raspberry looked the most sparkly. Apparently they never actually did a taste-test, or they just didn't care, but it actually tasted worse then it sounds. They decided it would be a special promotional item that would be sold exclusively to the people who were waiting to see Light Magic, so they bought a warmer that could fit 100 pre-rolled blue raspberry churros that someone could wear and walk down the parade route with the other vendors to sell to the crowds. I had the misfortune of being scheduled to do that four or five times over the course of that summer, and the first day that I worked as the parade vendor was the first time that I tasted a blue raspberry churro. It was so horrible that I spit the bite out and asked if I could work somewhere else, but they said no. So I had to walk out on the parade route and sell that god-awful blue raspberry flavored churro to people. On top of that, I had recently had a chance to see Light Magic during a cast member preview, and so I knew that not only did the churro suck, but the parade was absolutely horrific and one of the worst things that Disneyland has ever done. So I sucked it up and did it. I didn't actively try to sell it, but I walked down the parade route with my warmer and my sign that did very clearly say blue raspberry churro. People did buy it, and despite my sign, I am completely positive that a significant amount of guests did not realize that the churro was not cinnamon. I was so embarrassed by it, that after I sold one, I immediately left and went to the other side of the parade route. My only hope is that Light Magic itself was so horrible that maybe people forgot about their blue raspberry churro. But I've lived with this guilt for too long, so to everyone that I sold a blue raspberry churro to, I apologize. If I could take you to the park today and buy you a regular churro to make up for it I would.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disneyland Dreamer

Re: The worst thing I ever did as a CM -- sell people blue raspberry churros

HAha.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I don't recall ever eating a blue raspberry one, but around 2000 or 2001 I remember having either a raspberry or strawberry flavored churro. I think at some point they even had chocolate flavored churros? Anyway whatever berry flavored one I had wasn't bad at all. It tasted like a pancake and I think they should bring back flavored churros in some form. Just not blue raspberry obviously haha.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

I remember the churros with the strawberry sugar they sold for a short period. Those were quite tasty. I have no recollection of blue raspberry churros, however. Then again, the one and only time I ever saw Light Magic was the night of the infamous Annual Passholder Premiere.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

They sold strawberry and chocolate filled churros during All Kings Day, I believe.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Seasick

Bringing in flavoured churros and popcorn (based on what they sell in Tokyo) would actually be a decent Limited Time Magic promotion, compared to what they have done thus far.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• I'm a Lutheran

I'd like to try a churro with some kind of fruit-filling.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

I can forgive you, but it's only been 15 years. It's going to take a little more time.

LOL! That is hilarious, though I'm sorry you were put on the job to sell it.

Strawberry Churros were the besssssssssssssssst.

Didn't have a chance at the blue raspberry.

Wow, humans are so picky! If you don't like it, give it to me -- I'll eat anything (and I do mean anything). What's a churro?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Before Light Magic came out, I repeated to hundreds of people what I had been told; that it would be amazing, better than the Electrical Parade. Fiber optic lights in the buildings, the trees, the street. Floats covered in the latest light technology. An absolute light spectacular.

I was wrong.

I, too, am sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    I'd like to try a churro with some kind of fruit-filling.
    If you go to Knott's Berry Farm, they sell plain and fruit-filled churros in Ghost Town, across from the train station in Calico Square. Never bought the filled ones, but the plain ones are 3 or 4 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    If you go to Knott's Berry Farm, they sell plain and fruit-filled churros in Ghost Town, across from the train station in Calico Square. Never bought the filled ones, but the plain ones are 3 or 4 dollars.
    It bothered me that I couldn't remember, so I looked it up.

Knott's stuffed churro flavors are boysenberry, strawberry, and bavarian cream.

• Selfie Expert

I'd try it!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast