Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why do you visit Disneyland instead of Disneyworld?

For me it all comes down to the charm of the original. I now live in Chicago, and could just as easily fly to Florida. I also have friends in high places that could practically make a WDW vacation free for me, but I still make my annual pilgrimage to DLR.
    Somehow, WDW just feels like a big plastic imitation of the place I love.

• The doctor is in

I forgot to mention the humidity factor. I absolutely despise the state of Florida. I have been once and I haven't really had a desire to return.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

I don't mean to change the topic of discussion, but since several people have mentioned "charm" and "intimacy" as reasons they prefer Disneyland over Walt Disney World, I'm posting this link to an earlier MiceChat discussion thread called Disneyland's charm partly due to awkward transitions between lands?

The original post from the blog Passport to Dreams Old & New talks about how blurred transitions between lands in Disneyland, say Frontierland and New Orleans Square (there are LOTS of photographs illustrating these transitions), is one example of how the long-term design of Disneyland took place haphazardly in an area too small for the ideas the designers kept adding, leading to a blending of themes within a relatively small park.

I don't know the author, but it's absolutely brilliant analysis of the Disney theme parks (if a little academic). The birds-eye look at the hubs (central plazas) of Disneyland and Disney World and the discussion about it was especially eye-opening.

Here's an excerpt from the discussion of the hubs:

I want you to think about what the massive increase in ambition and scale that single area of the Magic Kingdom constituted for WED Enterprises in 1971. Keep in mind that these guys had the ability and expertise - the experience - to replicate any darn part of Disneyland they wanted. What they did with this experience was to create a totally new theme park specifically designed to minimize very specific parts of the Disneyland master plan.

Magic Kingdom has no berm - they didn't need to block out a city, so why bother? Magic Kingdom largely slowly draws you into the various sub-areas of the park, gradually transitioning plantings, music, textures, and colors in ways which pass by you essentially subliminally. This is what I mean when I say that Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are aesthetically dissimilar - your basic assumptions about the way the place was put together have to be different.

Magic Kingdom generally handles its transitory spaces with slow, subliminal, incremental changes, some sort of real life version of a cinematic fade. The part WED Enterprises chose to exclude, of all the things they could have excluded, are the moments in Disneyland where one set of themed design choices meets another in a very small space.

I'm fascinated by those moments, partially because it was exactly that which was excluded with almost surgical precision from every Disney theme park that came after - every subsequent version builds on the 1971 park, not the 1955 one.

Therefore, it must by definition be one of the things that makes Disneyland so charming - that thing they removed, that special condition. And if we are interested in drilling down past the years of built up rhetoric and regional squabbling and get nearer that thing that makes Disneyland special, we must engage this facet of the park.

• Blew By You

I'm kind of concerned about reading how execs at WDW have diminished the maintenance schedule. I'd be worrying too much about that.
    And the cost of a visit. My goodness. These Disney and WDW folks don't have a clue about household budgets. Or what a recession means.

Like others here, distance is the normal reason -- 90 min drive to DLR; either 5-6 days in a car or a 5-hour flight to FL.

Expense -- we could NOT have enjoyed WDW last summer without the help we had from the military. We spent $135/each on 4-day park hoppers, and $135/night on PopC, thanks to the military. From what I'm given to understand, those park hoppers would have cost twice that price -- around $270/each, and the hotel was $180/night before discount. Then there's the food -- military can't help us on that. But add to that, our fuel cost & hotel bills, which was quite a bit less than the round trip airfare was going to cost us for just one person (much less 2), helped to make that trip possible. Could we, would we, do this again? Maybe in a few years, but not regularly.

I agree with one of the PP: "And the cost of a visit. My goodness. These Disney and WDW folks don't have a clue about household budgets. Or what a recession means." Amen to that. If you're close by to a park, bringing a cooler with lunch, snacks, water bottles, etc., isn't hard. It's a lot tougher when you're from far away and toting that stuff isn't easy.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Aside from the fact that I'm two hours away from Disneyland, I can't afford to go to WDW. Air fair etc is out of my budget. Of course even Disneyland is out of my budget right now too.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• a wind to shake the stars

It's closer and cheaper (as a function of being closer).

• Minion

Money is my reason. I'm trying to save for a WDW visit, now.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Disney Lover

A yearly trip to Disneyland has been a family tradition since I was young. The nostalgia in that park for me is unmatched anywhere else in the world - the sights, the sounds, the atmosphere ... there's something about it that lures me back trip after trip.

I had the chance to visit WDW last year for the first time on my honeymoon. We had an incredible time. There was so much to do and new parks to explore, we loved it. But, we kept saying during our time there that while we loved WDW (Epcot specifically) it didn't capture the same magic for us that DLR always delivers.

So I guess I visit Disneyland more frequently due to ease of travel, etc. But more importantly, I visit DLR because of the memories I have there. And it's the original. Walt walked those streets and his imagination came to life there. No other park has such an imprint of Walt's hand on their streets and buildings. So it's the nostalgia and originality for me.

• Closed Account

I have lived in California off and on my entire life. I've also lived in the Midwest. When I was in the Midwest I had a chance to go to Disney World, and I had no interest in going. To me, Disneyland is not just about being in California, in fact there are times when I hate the entire state of California. To me, it's about visiting the original park, walking where greats like Walt Disney, Fess Parker, and Art Linkletter walked. It's about seeing the light on in the window on Main Street. It's about being the original park, with the original atmosphere.

I'm a very nostalgic person. To me, original theme parks within a brand mean something to me, that's one of the reasons why Coney Island and Knott's Berry Farm, and even Sea World San Diego. It's probably the reason why I am so against adding new franchises to the park, because I don't want it to take away from the nostalgic feel. I like being able to walk the bridge on Tom Sawyer's Island where I walked as a kid and got my boots wet because I hadn't mastered the bridge. I like squeezing with my boyfriend into an Autopia car and driving the same track I drove when I was four.

I had a chance, years ago, to visit Disney World free of charge, with a group that I was a part of, I opted not to. I might be among the few Disneyland fans who has no desire to visit another Disney theme park. I hate the fact that I even visit DCA because it feels like I'm cheating on Disneyland. Yes, I'm weird, LOL.

I hear a lot of people keep saying that WDW is an imitation of DL.... You guys do know that WDW was NOT built to be a copy of DL. It was meant to be very different, because Walt had more room in Florida to do more than one park, AND do what he couldn't in DL. It's practically an updated version of what the original DL was.

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
    I hear a lot of people keep saying that WDW is an imitation of DL.... You guys do know that WDW was NOT built to be a copy of DL. It was meant to be very different, because Walt had more room in Florida to do more than one park, AND do what he couldn't in DL. It's practically an updated version of what the original DL was.
    I think people mean MK... There's a habit of calling Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World. I've yet to visit MK, but I've heard it feels and looks like a bad copy of DL.

Walt wanted to build his city, E.P.C.O.T. I don't think he had intentions of building more parks. Even Magic Kingdom was built just to fund his city. He needed room for his city, not multiple parks.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

I spent the first twenty-five years of my life going to WDW and the last ten going to DLR. My personal opinion is that, currently, the people associated with Disneyland (particularly the cast members) value and respect the loyal Disney Park-fanatic ... while the people associated with Walt Disney World view them with disdain and an obstacle.

If you're a 40 year old with no kids that attends the parks monthly ...

Disneyland loves you and Walt Disney World hates you.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I think people mean MK... There's a habit of calling Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World.
    A lot of people here are old (myself included). Before 1982, the two terms were used synonymously and many of us never kicked the habit.

Having been to Disney World 3 times before my first trip to Disneyland, I was disappointed that you had to walk everywhere. The second time I went (solo) I was excited that you COULD walk everywhere!

I made 3 solo trips to DL after that, one of the things I like about DL is it's VERY single-rider friendly. Between Fastpass, Single Rider lines, & just going where the crowds aren't I've had no problem doing whatever I want as many times as I want. My last DL trip was for the Cars Land public opening, Saturday I pretty much devoted to the RSR Single Rider line & managed to get on it a dozen times. Sunday I camped out most of the afternoon in Tomorrowland bouncing between Star Tours standby & Space Mountain Fastpass, even managed to do Space Mountain 5 times in a row between Fastpasses & a short Standby line. One of the main reasons I stopped at 5 is I got tired of walking back to the entrance, lol.

Went back to Disney World for the first time since 2004 & was kind of disappointed in the amount of rides at the 3 non-MK parks. (although Test Track was still in refurb) All 3 of them need a DCA 2.0 style makeover. Not a fan of the Avatar idea, but hopefully there will be some good rides out of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast