Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why do you visit Disneyland instead of Disneyworld?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I think people mean MK... There's a habit of calling Magic Kingdom Walt Disney World. I've yet to visit MK, but I've heard it feels and looks like a bad copy of DL.

Walt wanted to build his city, E.P.C.O.T. I don't think he had intentions of building more parks. Even Magic Kingdom was built just to fund his city. He needed room for his city, not multiple parks.
    Yeah, MK is very close to DL, but it's still nice!
    EPCOT is AMAZING! That's easily one of my favorite parks!

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?" .
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Mathew 19:25-26

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    A lot of people here are old (myself included). Before 1982, the two terms were used synonymously and many of us never kicked the habit.
    Yes, I've heard that.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I have a simple rule of thumb when choosing between the two; if I have 6 days or more I go to WDW. 5 days or less....Disneyland.

Orlando is built for tourists......and just about everyone there caters to them night and day.

Anaheim tolerates tourists........barely.

Disneyland is > than Magic Kingdom.
    (the MK does have a better Tomorrowland however)

WDW is > than Disneyland Resort.

Orlando is > than Anaheim.
    (Southern Cal does have better weather though)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I priced a trip to WDW and it's almost double what Disneyland is for us. Also, I hate humidity. Lastly, I feel like in Disneyland you can park-hop easier while in WDW you kind of have to do one park a day. You can park hop, just not as easily.

• Former Churro Jockey

All things being equal I would visit both equally. I love WDW (especially Animal Kingdom) and I wish I could go there more often. If they somehow were miraculously the same price and the same distance away, I would visit WDW from December - May (when the weather is better and it's not hurricane season) and Disneyland from May - December. As it is I live 10 minutes away from DL (on a good day) and I spend $30/mo for my annual pass, so there is no comparison to a package to WDW with airfare, a 7-day park hopper, and a hotel room.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I live in Chicago. WDW is about 1,100 miles away. Disneyland is about 2,000 miles from my town. I guess you might figure that I'd rather make the trip south east, than west. Well, in my case, you would be wrong.

I never could afford any themepark vacations when my kids were kids. However, in 1997, my husband and I took a trip with our only grandchild to WDW. It wasn't cheap, and it also wasn't that long in duration. We spent about 5 days at WDW. It was a whole lot of fun staying at the Polynesian, and visiting the Magic Kingdom, and Epcot.

In 2003, 04, and 05, I returned to WDW with my grandson and his mom. We had WDW fever at the time, and enjoyed three really great consecutive trips. Then I discovered Disneyland. Disneyland was celebrating their 50th Anniversary at the time, and a friend of mine invited me along on her trip west to Disneyland. It was a magical trip, and I was hooked for life.

I have been back to WDW a few times since then, but given a choice, I'd rather go to Disneyland. Most of the reason, is the feeling that I get when I am at Disneyland. I have lost most of my traveling companions, but I have since learned how to travel alone safely.

It is actually cheaper for me to make a trip to California. My timeshare has allowed me to cut way down on room costs, and/or eliminate them all together. Airfare is not too much different between flying to Orlando, and flying into John Wayne Airport, which I prefer.

My next trip is in October, and I am looking forward to a Fall trip to Disneyland. I have been there in the Spring, Summer, and Winter before.

I may, make another trip to WDW after they really do complete Fantasyland, but most of my vacation dollars will be spent in Anaheim. I always feel like I am coming home when I first set foot in the esplanade, and definitely when I go through the turnstiles of the parks. I love what they have done with DCA, and look forward to many many more trips. I am 65 years old, and as long as I feel comfortable traveling by myself, I am sure I will always have a trip, "in the planning stage".

• Chief Troublemaker

Travel Cost. I priced out a WDW vacation package, moderate resort for 5 nites + 4 day hopper (figuring on visiting 1 park per day but leaving the option to hop open) & although it was cheaper than my usual 4 nites, 5 day hopper at the Grand, when I threw in the cost of airfare for DH & me, it made the cost, um, 'unpalatable' to DH (not a Disney fan). We can drive round trip from No Calif to DLR (we have a Prius) for around $90.00.

We're RVers, too, so what we're planning is that when we take our big cross-country RV trip we'll stay at Ft Wilderness & visit WDW then. Well, that's MY plan anyway. DH just keeps saying 'Uh-huh' but I don't think he's really listening. Luckily, I'm the navigator!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I'm kind of concerned about reading how execs at WDW have diminished the maintenance schedule. I'd be worrying too much about that.
    And the cost of a visit. My goodness. These Disney and WDW folks don't have a clue about household budgets. Or what a recession means.
    In my experience, rides break down a lot more often in DL than they do in WDW...in DL it feels like broken E-tickets are the norm rather than the exception, and I have been quite a few times to both resorts.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I have a simple rule of thumb when choosing between the two; if I have 6 days or more I go to WDW. 5 days or less....Disneyland.

Orlando is built for tourists......and just about everyone there caters to them night and day.

Anaheim tolerates tourists........barely.

Disneyland is > than Magic Kingdom.
    (the MK does have a better Tomorrowland however)

WDW is > than Disneyland Resort.

Orlando is > than Anaheim.
    (Southern Cal does have better weather though)
    I think this is pretty spot-on--for us on these boards (people who can, for the most part, go to the parks frequently) the parks at DLR are better. But for people who actually go to Disney parks to vacation (not just take a day-trip that can be taken several times a year) WDW is better.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I'm sure I'm just echoing everyone else, but:

It's much closer and more affordable. I love that everything is closer together - less walking but still have most of the great attractions. It's more charming. The attractions at Disneyland are oftentimes better than Disneyworld ex: Small World, Tea Cups, Pirates, Fantasmic, we have the Matterhorn and New Orleans, World of Color and Cars Land etc. Disneyland also has closer beaches. And to top it all off, it's the original!
    Last edited by Tinkbelle; 08-01-2013 at 10:18 PM.

• The doctor is in

Some have mentioned this and I agree that the lack of consistent attractions has always made me skeptical about WDW. Breaking it down by park, for me personally, the only attractions I'm really interested in are:

Animal Kingdom - Expedition Everest & Dinosaur

Hollywood Studios - Toy Story Mania & Star Tours (just to see the differences)

Epcot - Mission Space & Test Track

Magic Kingdom - just about everything

My point is, why spend the money when I go to each park (minus MK) for 2-3 rides and have to take the time to travel between parks. Not to mention if you don't add the Park Hopper option you are potentially stuck in a park you're not really enjoying for the whole day. I can go to Disneyland or DCA and easily enjoy the entire park for less money and less energy.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Minion

I want to go to WDW because it'll be different. Despite the negative things I keep hearing about WDW (coming from both DLR and WDW vets), I'm still planning on making the pilgrimage. I've always wanted to go and experience the differences. Who knows, maybe it'll become a yearly thing. I'd love to visit the foreign parks as well, especially Tokyo.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I want to go to WDW because it'll be different. Despite the negative things I keep hearing about WDW (coming from both DLR and WDW vets), I'm still planning on making the pilgrimage. I've always wanted to go and experience the differences. Who knows, maybe it'll become a yearly thing. I'd love to visit the foreign parks as well, especially Tokyo.
    I too dream about seeing it in person at least once in my lifetime.

Absolutely nothing like Walt's original theme park!

It's a better value, and it's a better maintained park. It takes forever at WDW to get around in their transportation system. And dollar for dollar, I get more out of the vacation. I can stay at a local hotel for less than $200 a night, and those hotels do have transportation to DL. The parks stay open later than the ones at WDW. (You'd be surprised how much later.) And I can see more in less time. I can walk between DL and DCA in less than five minutes assuming the lines aren't super long.

Now, a WDW vacation takes about a good week because of transportation time and the parks closing earlier. Then, add to that fact that rides aren't maintained as well. It's just not a good experience. I'd rather fly to Orlando to check out Universal for a weekend. Universal is laid out a lot like DL/DCA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast