Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Why do you visit Disneyland instead of Disneyworld?

Apart from living in the general area and/or having an AP, because those are given reasons, why do you choose to visit Disneyland instead of Disneyworld?

For me personally, it has all come down to location and cost. I live closer to California and have tons of family in the area. It's simple for me to take a drive down Katella and see my family whenever I go to Disneyland.
    It's also cheaper for me to visit Disneyland. 2 of my last 3 trips haven't broken the bank as I spent around $750 to split my hotel & 5-day passes with a friend and barely $200 for round trip airfare. I looked at Disneyworld last night just for fun and saw that it would cost me close to $1000 for hotel with just 4-days in the parks and that would be just my half. That doesn't include airfare which averages around $360 roundtrip.
    I have also felt that Disneyland is a bit easier to navigate. Granted I have never been to WDW so I wouldn't know for sure, but looking at maps and hearing from people I know that have been I would rather have the two parks right next to each other with numerous attractions in each over four parks with sparse attractions (at least ones I'm interested in) that are farther apart.

So what about you guys?
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

Re: Why do you visit Disneyland instead of Disneyworld?

You are correct in size.

Disneyland is cozy, in a good way. Having everything closeby is nice.

At WDW it's a whole other animal, not only are the other parks really spread out, the magic kingdom also feels spread out.

Maybe it's because I'm used to Disneyland here.

Granted I still love WDW. I'd rather have it be a different experience rather than just a copy of Disneyland.

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

Orlando is simply too far away and too costly to get to. I am in BC in Canada and its a 2:45 trip down the coast to Disneyland, can do it non-stop and typically under 250 round trip, sometimes under 200 round trip.

Orlando requires a connection somewhere, takes nearly a full day to get there arriving in the evening, costs a good chunk more to fly there.

Its not worth the time or effort for me to go to Orlando.

• Disneyland Dreamer

I can drive to CA in a morning. I have to fly to FL.

FL is a HORRIBLE climate for me. I DESPISE humidity, so FL is TORTURE for me (and I'm spending next week in Tampa for work... ICK).

DL is the original, and way more fun (I've been to WDW as many times if not more than DL). DCA > EPCOT/AK/etc.

Having a Hotel IN the park (GC) is better than having to take the monorail to the parks.

DL is in California, which is a wonderful place to visit. Only a part of our trip is to DL, with the rest to the beaches, museums, and other attractions in the area, which are far superior than the Florida equivalents. It is also great to be able to make our Disney portion of the trip just a one or two day affair to be satisfied. DW takes more time (and park admittances) to get the same effect.

• i believe in faeries.

My reasoning is generally location and cost as well. Also, my kids are small, and taking them all the way to Orlando, to a huge resort I'm nor familiar with freaks me out. Maybein a few years.

I forgot what Al Lutz wrote once about the breakdown of Disneyland visitors, but I think more than half of visitors to Disneyland live in Southern California, probably within driving distance. For probably 95% of local visitors, it doesn't make financial sense to fly to Florida, pay for a hotel room, etc. when Disneyland is so close by.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I'd think 85 or 90 percent of visitors to Disneyland or Disney World have only been to one Disney theme park location. Which is why those people are in favor of duplicating attractions like Cars Land or The Little Mermaid ride (or Harry Potter, for that matter).

For myself, I've been to Disneyland on a day ticket 25 or 30 times since the 1970s, and Disney World once in the 1990s, mainly because I always wanted to see it for myself. But if I take my family to Orlando, I think we would mainly visit Universal Studios instead.

one of the reasons is proximity. I'm closer to Disneyland, so it's cheaper and easier. Then the weather, I don't like humidity. Then, ultimately I like the charm of Disneyland. It is smaller and put together with a more natural, creative feel. Disneyworld, to me, gives off the impression of "bigger is better", and a more forced, calculated vibe. Granted, I've never been there, and maybe I'd feel different if I went there, but I'm really pleased with Disneyland and the cost to experience Disneyworld is just too much to risk it.

• Minion

Because I live about 20 minutes from Disneyland.

I do both! But like you said, I live closer to WDW, so I go there more often...

View my cosplay (including my ultimate endeavor to make a fully accurate Vader costume), props (including my props from my Vanitas costume that had to be abandoned due to suit constraints), and pictures at https://www.facebook.com/sandercohen13

•   
    • Minion

Before I lived in Southern California, it was all about location and cost for me, too. I liked visiting LA. Disneyland was part of my vacation; I didn't come to LA specifically for Disneyland. I came to do a bunch of different things and Disney was always one thing I returned to.

I lived on the East Coast at the time, so technically WDW would have been closer for me. However I didn't like WDW as much as Disneyland, the cost would have been more, and I really had no desire to go to Florida. I wanted to go somewhere where I could do a lot of different things; not plan my whole week long vacation around one thing.

The same was actually true when I went to Disneyland Paris. I didn't go to Paris just to see DLP; it was one of the many things I wanted to experience there.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Aside from living less than a 45 minute drive away if the traffic is clear, which is mostly the case on a very early Saturday morning with everyone sleeping in, Disneyland is...more homely.

By that I mean the Disneyland Resort is so much tighter yet packs such a huge punch. The WDW resort is huge, yes, but in the tiny amount of space the lone Disneyland Park, they have more attractions/shows than some of the other parks in WDW. If memory dictates me correctly, doesn't Disneyland have more attractions to see than at the Magic Kingdom? Disneyland Resort's small size also means everything is within walking distance, meaning if something doesn't go according to plan, I can simply walk to another attraction and go on from there. At the WDW resort, if something doesn't go to plan, you're pretty much stuck in the same park with little to nothing to do except wait.

Also Disneyland is less expensive to me compared to WDW. True, it's still very costly, but when compared to how much I would have to spend at WDW (Travel costs, hotels, food, etc.) It is extraordinarily smaller. Another big draw for me would have to be originality. True, we have copy cat attractions like Star Tours and watered down ones like The twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, but there is still a lot of original goodness since the park was the original Disneyland.

Plus Disneyland is not choked on a constant basis of humidity.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Disney is cozier, and it's the original. There are just a few light touches that make me return. New Orleans Square (though I do like Liberty Square since the history is closer to my country than NOS.) DCA since its transformation has really drawn me back to the original parks. Also the cost is more practical for me from Vancouver than to Orlando.

• Down Pluto!

For the same reason I eat Ice Cream rather than Imitation Ice Milk.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Niice! Lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast