• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Lightbulb Condor Flats Refreshed

Planes is coming out, and the last thing that DCA needs is another film-focused land.

Condor Flats is one of those lands that has so much and yet so little going for itself. So here's my take on how to spruce things up in this tiny land.

Backstory
    During the times of World War II, a young group of mechanics dreamed of flight and accomplish their dreams of becoming world famous pilots. Their dreams went into high gear in 1947 as Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. Not long after, the boys began to build their own little airfield, and soon named it Condor Flats, as California Condors would- at the time- constantly settle on the nearby Grizzly Peak. The airfield attracted many local folks, and some even began to set up their own shops and businesses. An air hangar was soon built, and Condor Flats gained a great reputation around the area. The mechanics also managed to race on the runways with their go-karts on their days off. But in the 1970s, when the idea of flight was overshadowed by space travel, the airfield was left in a standstill. Condor Flats became a roadside destination. The hangar was closed down and converted into a museum (the halls of fame) with two plane storage units (the dome theatres). In order to keep business going, the spare hangar outside the main hangar was transformed into a restaurant, and the car garage was converted into a shop. However, when the airfield was donated a Space Shuttle main engine (the mister outside of Soarin'), tourism grew to an all-time high. Condor Flats finally regained its reputation, even if it wasn't for the same reason, from years past.

Changes
    --
    A new town billboard greets guests at the front. A few Easter eggs here: 1947 was the year of the sound barrier being broken, and 96 represents the year SoC was first conceptualized.
    Name:  Condor Flats...jpg
Views: 602
Size:  222.5 KB

--The shop and restaurant will most likely be unchanged, but more presence of the backstory will be explained in both locations.

--The go-karts in the shop explain the story of the races that would take place on the runway.

--The restraint contains some of the awards that the airfield was honored with.

--Little changes along the side the road leading to Grizzly Peak and the alleyway to Downtown Disney suggest that there was a bigger presence in Condor Flats originally (like new buildings or facades).

--Now comes the biggest change. At Soarin' Over California, the preshow is changed to fit with the surrounding area, with Patrick Warburton still hosting, this time playing the current owner of Condor Flats, who is actually the grandson of one of the original mechanics. He explains the backstory (as listed above) to those waiting to board. He then invites them inside to take a flight over California, as a "treat". The ride itself begins as a takeoff procedure, with the hangar opening up launching from Condor Flats before ascending into the clouds. The ride itself is somewhat similar, as it consists of new HD footage where riders come across some famous California landmarks, with the same score intact (or enhanced). The ride ends starting from Route 66 on Cars Land traveling to the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle ending with fireworks once more.

--Really, if you think about it, each area consists of the backstory. The shop: who they were (young mechanics with big dreams), what they did (the restaurant with the awards and such), and who/what inspired them (the ride).

Should Condor Flats get a revamp? Even if it's for the slightest change?
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Senior Minion

Re: Condor Flats Refreshed

Personally, I like the idea of turning it into a forest area and combining it with Grizzly Peak to make one bigger land. It's just too small to feel like a fully fleshed out land and the hotel really kills the feeling of being a real runway.

If I could do what I wanted I'd add a mine train ride through the whole land to tie it all together. In CF, I'd add a rock-work facade, with a section of the rock that looked like a condor's wing, to cover the Soarin' building and the Monorail (mostly), which the new train could travel through and on top of. Then a new entry building facade could be built for Soarin' in the side of the rock-work. I'd make it part of Grizzly Peak, but I'd still have the area have its own identity and rename the area Condor Valley and theme the new entry building to Soarin' as, "Condor Valley Hang Gliding."
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

I like your idea. I agree that Condor Flats could offer more but doesn't.

Anything is better than a Planes revamp.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Planes is coming out, and the last thing that DCA needs is another film-focused land.
    I clicked on this topic to rip you a new one, but fortunately you started out with that statement. Carry on.

• Singing Drinker

I'd really REALLY love it if they put another ride in. I just have a hard time accepting "land" or even "heavily themed area" without at least two rides in it. USH is bad about this - "London" and "Paris" as two (admittedly very well done complete with in-character street actors) relatively short streets and parts of the corners.

The mine train idea would be awesome. Working something around GRR would likely be problematic - I don't believe they would have put in enough foundation and basework for the ride to support a second ride on top of it without extreme rebuilds if only due to it being a large expense during a time when every penny was being pinched.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Workin to live,lovin life

PHEW, thank you for providing a well thought out update to Condor Flats. I too thought you were going to say that "Planes" should be added to the area! I'd buy into your idea with a few tweaks here and there.

That movie just doesn't belong in the theaters to be honest. The jokes were bad in the 90's, and are still bad to this day. Should have stayed as direct-to-video. This movie is definitely a cash grab.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    PHEW, thank you for providing a well thought out update to Condor Flats. I too thought you were going to say that "Planes" should be added to the area! I'd buy into your idea with a few tweaks here and there.

That movie just doesn't belong in the theaters to be honest. The jokes were bad in the 90's, and are still bad to this day. Should have stayed as direct-to-video. This movie is definitely a cash grab.
    Much obliged! And even if Planes is the cash grab that Disney hopes for, it better not find its way into DCA.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!