Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: GAC - Has it Become Severely Abused and What will the Possible Changes Be??

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    My feet hurt if I stand or walk too much and my 5 year old is impatient and doesn't like to wait in lines and gets cranky. Does this qualify me for a pass?
    Uh?

• Chief Troublemaker

I think everyone here (at least I hope so) knows and respects visible & invisible disabilities. And we're all glad that Disney has a system to help everyone enjoy the parks. It's just that there is enough visible fraud* (i.e. people bragging, people swapping with each other in and out of wheelchairs, that company that was inappropriately using GAC tour guides, etc) that at this point many people have a hard time believing that the current GAC program is worthwhile and that the benefit still outweighs the fraud. Disney must accommodate the disabled. That's the ADA. How they do it is up to Disney.

'Un-Disney' comments from either side of the issue don't help. That being said, I hope that Disney can find a way to tighten up on misuse without disadvantaging those who truly need it. I've seen lots of good suggestions here, but without being a disability rights lawyer, who knows if they could actually be implemented. I wonder if Disney could institute a 'permanent' GAC program whereby people could (voluntarily) submit medical documentation in exchange for either a permanent or a predetermined length GAC. Kinda like you do with permanent or temporary handicapped placards. You would still be able to get one the current way, it's just that those with a permanent or longer term condition would be able to bypass having to stand in line every day (or however long it is now).

*I was recently VERY surprised to see on a certain Disneyland phone app someone post on the message board (not verbatim) "I have a GAC & am in line for XXXX ride. I have room for 2 more people to join me in line if you can get here in XXX minutes". Bad form, IMHO.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    *I was recently VERY surprised to see on a certain Disneyland phone app someone post on the message board (not verbatim) "I have a GAC & am in line for XXXX ride. I have room for 2 more people to join me in line if you can get here in XXX minutes". Bad form, IMHO.
    Really terrible when people to do this. But, in my opinion it's as much City Hall's fault. They always ask how many people are in your party. We say "always 2 people" and some will stamp it two and some will stamp it six, even when we say that there is never more than 2 people in our group. There are many people who know that the maximum is 6, and will ask for 6, even if they are going solo, so they can add other people to their party when it's convenient for them. I don't know what the solution to that is, I would say that all party members need to be present when the GAC card is issued, but that wouldn't work because City Hall is so small.

• Senior Minion

Turns out it's not just the customers who are fraudulently abusing the GAC system, it's Disney employees and management.

From today's Miceage Update...

With all the recent investigation into the problems associated with the GAC system with paying guests, even more scandalous behavior has been uncovered. The Guest Relations team has now determined that a growing number of active Anaheim Cast Members now get GACs for themselves when they sign friends and family into the park with their complimentary main gate passes. Many of these temporarily-disabled Cast Members work in Attractions five days a week, or used to work in Attractions before they moved to white collar jobs in TDA, and thus are familiar with the GAC system and how to get it. But a growing number of Cast Members from across all departments are now stopping in at Guest Relations just after they sign in their families or friends and are picking up a GAC for their use by using the popular code words that get you the GAC with the desirable stamps that provides the fastest boarding.

But it’s not just the front line Cast Members and TDA office drones who have been identified picking up their GAC on each visit, as a growing class of lower level executives and white collar folks from various Burbank divisions are also getting in on the GAC craze when they visit Disneyland. It’s a growing topic around Burbank water coolers that if you are taking the family down to Disneyland with your complimentary tickets on the weekend you can get a GAC by using a few select medical phrases or excuses.

One VP from Disney’s Burbank media networks even wore a neck brace as she got her GAC on a recent weekend visit, although she wasn’t wearing the neck brace when she left work on Friday afternoon and no longer needed it by the time she returned to work on Monday morning. Only the senior executives in Burbank like Tom Staggs get the VIP guides who whisk their family in through the exits, as the lower level execs are left to fend for themselves by getting a GAC to go along with their free admission passes. But the newly restrictive GAC process to be rolled out this fall will hopefully put a stop to the abuse, especially with the Cast Members and Burbank employees who are using them fraudulently.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

^That just further comes to show how Disneyland is no longer the place with the top employees, and how the morals of society are slipping.

• Loving all things Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Turns out it's not just the customers who are fraudulently abusing the GAC system, it's Disney employees and management.

Wow, that's crazy. I didn't even think about how easy it would be for CM's to get a GAC. That's completely frustrating.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaGirl View Post
    Wow, that's crazy. I didn't even think about how easy it would be for CM's to get a GAC. That's completely frustrating.
    It's terrible! This reminded me back to the day Carsland opened and I was behind a group of people with a GAC in line for RSR (they were doing SR) and the guy was bragging about how he had already been on it so many times before since his mom was someone high up in the Disney co. and how he had this cool pass to just skip all the lines... It majorly bothered me back then, but I had never used a GAC and wasn't real familiar with them at the time, but now hearing that it's widespread among employees makes me sick! I legitimately needed one after knee surgery and the GAC lines were so long and I missed out on a lot with my limited mobility and stamina and to think that it was in part due to people working the system... SMH....

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I just....I can't....it's....I think.....They....I am SPEECHLESS (and my husband will tell you that me being left speechless just doesn't happen)!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• world class bilge rat

Actually this doesn't surprise me at all.

Since TDC has chosen to flood the parks with as many people as possible, it's no great wonder that some would be willing to cheat the system in order to avoid the ridiculously long lines.

I surprises me even less that CMs are doing this. The amount of respect they receive from management has been steadily declining over the years. No great wonder they have no respect for TDC and its policies anymore.

In my opinion, this problem (along with just about every other problem) is a direct result of too many people in the parks. Turn a quick buck now, who cares about the future.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Since TDC has chosen to flood the parks with as many people as possible, it's no great wonder that some would be willing to cheat the system in order to avoid the ridiculously long lines.
    Yeah they really need to stop forcing people to visit the parks.

Increase prices and people will complain. Eliminate AP's and people will complain. Shut the gates earlier and people will complain. Bring back ticket books and people will complain. Eliminate FastPass or GAC's and people will complain. Build subpar parks that attract fewer visitors and people will complain.

The list goes on and on. You can't cut back on crowds without stepping on people's toes.

• Loving all things Disney!

• Cars Land Rocks!

I have a high-functioning 4 year old Autistic son. I have never once used the GAC. I know everyone situation is different, but to be honest it never occurred to me to get one. I always felt it was good for him to learn to wait. Just recently one of our therapist told me I was doing a good thing.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The real problem with the GAC card is that I could go up and ask for one because, I don't know, let's say I'm claustrophobic (lol, I'm not)...but they have to give it to me. They can't ask me to prove it because its, well, hard to prove, as well as invasive on my medical confidentiality. They can't question people's disabilities, because imagine the offense one who really does have crippling claustrophobia would take when being questioned of it.

I honestly don't see a solution to this problem--it's just sad that people have stooped low enough to exploiting real issues, manipulating a legitimate system, and lying, just to skip a queue line.
    When someone voluntarily discloses his own medical conditions, to me that seems to throw confidentiality issues out the window. At least among the guest and the Cast Member.

One solution: modify Fastpass to allow the GAC and posse to return at the time equal to the current wait.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

The thing is - RSR was built only recently. The people who built it were fully aware of the number of guests using a GAC every day. Why would they choose to not make the standby line mainstream like most of the lines at WDW? Why design it like it's 1955 and you're not going to have to accommodate anyone who comes along requesting access for people with disabilities and then cry foul about it?

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    The thing is - RSR was built only recently. The people who built it were fully aware of the number of guests using a GAC every day. Why would they choose to not make the standby line mainstream like most of the lines at WDW? Why design it like it's 1955 and you're not going to have to accommodate anyone who comes along requesting access for people with disabilities and then cry foul about it?
    The line is fully ADA accessible and branches off at the end to the separate loading zone. I'm guessing it's the alternate enterance GAC that are skipping the line, all others *should* be able to wait with the rest of the people.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast