Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Minion

Re: GAC - Has it Become Severely Abused and What will the Possible Changes Be??

The solution isn't a easy one but limiting the group size would help.
    At WDW there is a limit of five people who can accompany the person with a GAC. They are allowed to make exceptions in certain cases, like if the family is made up of two parents and five or six young children, where it would be hard to split up. But five is the standard.

Honestly, from reading these threads it sounds like half the problems in Disneyland come from inconsistent implementation by frontline CM's (who are probably overworked and not supported by their managers) and management.

• Chief Troublemaker

Originally Posted by kirstenh
    People who are lactose intolerant are unable to enjoy Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream bars because they are no dairy free versions. People with Celiac disease can't eat much of the delicious food, ither because it has gluten or has a great potential for cross-contamination. Disneyland is trying to be all-inclusive but there are some things your disability may cause you to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Sorry, but these arenít recognized disabilities under the ADA and even if they were, Disney is making reasonable accommodations for them by offering alternative menu items.
    I donít think anyone is saying that one is better than another.

Just an FYI without getting too involved in the discussion. Celiac Disease & other gastrointestinal disorders HAVE been covered under the ADA since 2011 or thereabouts. The impact is not that Disney must provide us with gluten free 'everything they offer' (i.e. they MUST give me a GF churro), but 'reasonable accommodation' in regards to dietary restrictions states that Disney must offer me some type of gluten free foods OR allow me to bring in my own. Not really a comparison to someone needing a GAC, other than that we occasionally get our food 'out of turn' since it's specially prepared.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post
    First off, let me say that I don't actually think that Disneyland should (or even could) not accommodate people with mental disabilities. But I do take issue with your position that to do so would be "unfair." I've learned to be highly suspicious of that particular word because it is so slippery. Fairness, it seems, is in the eye of the beholder; it is not some sort of objective truth.

Is it "unfair" that I cannot pitch for the Yankees, or sing at the Met? We're all dealt different hands with different skills and limitations. There's no God given right to play professional baseball or to spend days at Disneyland. Some people are able bodied and minded but don't have the funds to attend Disneyland. Is that "fair" that they cannot attend? Some people don't *like* Disneyland (weird, but true), is it "unfair" that they were not raised to appreciate the mouse?

I'm a pilot. But I've been medically grounded for a few years due to migraines. It's soul crushing not to fly. But should I demand to fly anyway and endanger lives because it is not "fair" that I get migraines?

I think the lines are also hard to draw. How out of control must a child be when forced to wait in lines before we consider it a disability? Most kids aren't great about waiting. I take foster children to Disneyland; they are worse about it, in general (impulse control is an issue with most foster children.)

Again, to restate, I take no exception to providing accommodation to those with metal disability. I just do not find "fairness" to be a compelling reason to do so.
    This is one of the best posts I have ever read.

I recently read an IAMA on Reddit from a WDW Disney CM where someone asked if anyone in the PotC line got angry about GAC'ers "cutting the line", and her response was something along the lines that no, in her experience, most GAC'ers were more mad that they had to wait. She continues on to mention that she does agree that there is abuse, and that she personally has thoughts on how to fix it (like everyone else. ) I found her response interesting because, FWIW, in anything I've read from someone who needs a GAC and has experience with it, it really ISN'T a guaranteed "front of the line" pass like so many assume it is. It seems more up to the CM's working and how they handle each person.

I agree that there is abuse, but also perhaps a bit of an exaggeration by those who actually don't need a GAC but get one anyway?

•   

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebergha View Post
    It seems more up to the CM's working and how they handle each person.
    Actually, each attraction has extremely specific rules for how to accommodate guests with different types of special needs. Those differ based on the guest's needs and the way the attraction was built. For any given specific scenario, there's usually very little room for individual interpretation.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAaron View Post
    Is it "unfair" that I cannot pitch for the Yankees, or sing at the Met? We're all dealt different hands with different skills and limitations. There's no God given right to play professional baseball or to spend days at Disneyland. Some people are able bodied and minded but don't have the funds to attend Disneyland. Is that "fair" that they cannot attend? Some people don't *like* Disneyland (weird, but true), is it "unfair" that they were not raised to appreciate the mouse?
    While it's there is no law requiring you be allowed to pitch for the yankees.. there is a law that states those with disabilities should not be excluded Disneyland and there should be reasonable accommodations to allow them to participate. So I don't know what 'fair' has to do with it... because those people do have a 'right' by law to be able to able to goto Disneyland if they so chose.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    this is what i don't understand, if the DMV requires proof to be able to give someone a disable plaquered or a disabled license plate then why would places like DIsney, Universal or any other amusement park not be allowed to limit and ask for proof of disability to give out GAC cards. asking for proof of being disabled does not mean that a person should disclose what the medical issue is.

Can't Disney just ask for the state issued/DMV issued disabled proof slip that is given after a person applies for disabled status?
    1) the handicap placard is regulated by different laws
    2) the requirements for a handicap placard do not match those protected by the ADA

The only similarity is that those that would get a handicap placard MAY be covered by ADA protections.. but the inverse is not necessarily true.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Hey, I just have a quick question that is sort of related to this...

I go to the park alone by being dropped off by either friends or family and spend the whole day there until the allocated pick up time comes around. Let's say I break or sprain a foot and I have to wear a cast, but am still able to go into the park to enjoy myself (Just have to get around with crutches). Personally, I would just stick to the normal lines rather than get a GAC, but I am unsure if I should get a GAC, or should not at that point, because while I am completely eligible for a GAC, I don't want to add upon the mess that is already present. Plus I could get around just fine, just with crutches and a little difficulty with very steep stairs.

Now while I don't have a cast or a sprained/broken foot, I would still like to know what to do just in case it does happen, because I want to enjoy myself but am unsure if the GAC program in its current abused state would either be a help or a burden to my situation.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    This. I don't think that people with disabilities shouldn't be allowed to enjoy Disneyland. I believe that the nature of Disneyland is unpleasant to some people with certain disabilities (difficulty with crowds, waiting, etc.) and that sometimes a better solution is to avoid the activities that you can't do comfortably.
    and that is exactly why Disney for decades WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND to make the park more tolerable and enjoyable for those that might not be as capable as the average person. Disney didn't start doing this because they were legally obligated - Disney has had similar programs and policies for decades to make the park approachable to all.

It's why Disney has always been a favorite of the overweight... Disney caters to them and doesn't chastise or exclude them like other places.

What's different now? The scum of our selfish society that thinks its OK to lie so they can abuse such graces offered by the company.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Always Dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by littlemsfreckles View Post
    ^ This. I have a CM friend who's on Space Mtn and he always says: "If I had $1 for every GAC that was issued for 'anxiety' or 'claustraphobia', I could quit this job."
    Its like seriously: would someone with a really legitimately debilitating case of anxiety really be looking to cut the line for a high speed roller coast in the dark?! (Kudos if you are) This system is broken
    I have a GAC for my anxiety. I do have anxiety and usually it is under control; but a panic attack can come on at any time. My GAC helps me be more reassured that I wont be in a position that's more likely to cause a panic attack. I don't mind waiting the allotted time, as long as I am able to do so in a space where I have room and do not feel crowded and like I can't escape. Going on a roller coaster doesn't cause me anxiety. Everyone has different triggers.
    http://aurorahermione.tumblr.com - costuming and random Disney stuff

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Hey, I just have a quick question that is sort of related to this...

I go to the park alone by being dropped off by either friends or family and spend the whole day there until the allocated pick up time comes around. Let's say I break or sprain a foot and I have to wear a cast, but am still able to go into the park to enjoy myself (Just have to get around with crutches). Personally, I would just stick to the normal lines rather than get a GAC, but I am unsure if I should get a GAC, or should not at that point, because while I am completely eligible for a GAC, I don't want to add upon the mess that is already present. Plus I could get around just fine, just with crutches and a little difficulty with very steep stairs.

Now while I don't have a cast or a sprained/broken foot, I would still like to know what to do just in case it does happen, because I want to enjoy myself but am unsure if the GAC program in its current abused state would either be a help or a burden to my situation.

Just because you get a GAC doesn't necessarily mean you will always use it. I've seen people here on MC who have bad backs, knees, ankles, etc that will go to City Hall and get a GAC just in case their condition acts up or just for certain attractions because of their particular need. These people, who have legitimate problems, deserve a GAC just the same as someone with a permanent continuous disability, IMHO. I have a pinned & plated ankle that acts up & gets painful & stiff at times without rhyme or reason. Although I haven't done so yet, I can see the benefit of getting a GAC (for me it would be to avoid stairs) in the morning on the off chance that half-way through the day I start having problems & can't manage stairs.

IMHO someone on crutches or a walking cast wouldn't be 'adding to the mess' if they got a GAC and used it when they really needed to. Or even used it all during the day to enable themselves to enjoy the park a little longer because they were able to use a GAC to help them avoid stairs or get a GAC return ticket & thus avoid tiring themselves out.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

The premise of this thread was simple. GAC abuse at the Disneyland Resort, and what steps Disney might or might not take to reduce or eliminate it.

Most of you know that we don't allow debates about subjects that touch on the political, yet several members herein (many of long standing who surely know the rules) continued to steer this thread into a debate about the handicapped in society. We will be addressing some of you privately.

This thread was largely an insightful and productive one. We regret the need to close it, but the number of posts attempting to shame and/or judge the motives of others has necessitated it.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

ó Ernest Thompson Seton

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567