Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    FWIW, that point is addressed within the article.
    Thank you.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    But didn't those same sources once report that the PM would be brought back with an Incredibles, TRON overlay?
    Just like women, they can change their minds.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Count me as one who hopes they "change their minds" again then
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

I know from years of personal observation as well as relatively concrete rumors AND confirmation from friends who've been let go from Imagineering that the Peoplemover track has long been a bone of contention and that design wars have apparently been won or lost based around ideas for it.

I think another issue for WDI is that Rocket Rods was a failure, and nobody wants to try to have another crack at something that didn't resonate well with guests. There's been plenty more stuff to work on, such as Carsland, Shanghai, and Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch, Kitchen Calamity. As some folks at WDI have said, the abandoned PM track is sort of an attraction in itself, a teaser. Sort of like that abandoned old house on the hill that everybody has a story about, for people who remember the ride, and they can tell stories to guests who never rode PM or RR.

Tony Baxter lamented the lack of show scenes for Rocket Rods, and the most logical place to put some show scenes would have been in Innoventions. The problem is that Disney has a sponsorship deal with Microsoft/HP, and others, and really this area is being used as advertising space and Disney is making a profit of this non-attraction, IMHO. Would Disney give up sponsorship of Innoventions to put in a well designed, full budget, ride? I doubt Colglazier is tasked to do that, something tells me that the brass at Disney is happy leasing out Innoventions as a phony-attraction to fellow brass at tech companies.

I personally love Apple products, they work well and they look cool, you can see why Microsoft/HP wants to use Innoventions to link their lackluster products to everything that was cool about Tomorrowland, technology-wise.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think another issue for WDI is that Rocket Rods was a failure, and nobody wants to try to have another crack at something that didn't resonate well with guests.
    Considering it always had queue wait times of 70 minutes or more on a daily basis (not considering the 4 hour waits during the first year) I would say it resonated fine with guests. The problem with it was the constant breakdowns and mechanical issues. Disney just didn't feel it was worth the trouble. Could it have used more show scenes, absolutely, but it was still popular.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Considering it always had queue wait times of 70 minutes or more on a daily basis (not considering the 4 hour waits during the first year) I would say it resonated fine with guests. The problem with it was the constant breakdowns and mechanical issues. Disney just didn't feel it was worth the trouble. Could it have used more show scenes, absolutely, but it was still popular.
    I'm not sure how accurately the line reflected the ride's popularity.

If the ride had a massive throughput, I'd be more inclined to believe that. Unfortunately my experiences were ones where the line would stop and stall without moving for easily 1/3 to 1/2 my wait every time as the ride would stop launching new 'Rods for whatever reason - 101, zone violation, tourist unable to negotiate the cage, someone griping when they realized they were going to get a great view of the Back Side of Chair, whatever. Spending time watching the ride from Terrace reinforced that view - 2-3 cars would launch, twenty minutes would be spent waiting, another batch of cars, another delay, etc.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Banned User

Tony Baxter talked about it not resonating with guests, and from a storytelling vantage point, it certainly couldn't hold a candle to a lot of other attractions that Disney has done. I personally got a kick out of the ride because I had ridden the People Mover so much, it was kinda nostalgia to zip along the old PM track, but apart from that novelty, being built on a relatively flat track, it didn't have the thrills of a roller coaster, so I can see how the average guest might not enjoy the ride nearly as much as Space, Splash, Big Thunder . . . and it went so fast you couldn't really do any sight-seeing, like with the old PM.

There are ways to jazz up an attraction on a straight track. One way is to go the Rocket Rod route and make some stretches fast. There are some pretty amazingly simple yet fun ways to design a relatively slow moving ride with some pretty cool mild thrills. (I'm talking about a custom busbar powered ride system with novel movements as is navigates the PM track at a little more than PM cruising speeds). I have a number of ideas how such a ride could be designed, and it would sure put a smile on guests' faces and probably get more than a couple laughs and screams along the way. I think it is important that Disney still make rides which "wow" guests, and WDI is still very good at designing custom ride systems.

Anyway, I think that if WDI gets another crack at the PM track, they'll want to do something which has some storytelling, and which doesn't constantly breakdown.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-06-2013 at 11:30 AM.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Tony Baxter talked about it not resonating with guests, and from a storytelling vantage point, it certainly couldn't hold a candle to a lot of other attractions that Disney has done.
    Not every attraction at Disneyland is suppose to force feed guests a story. Sometimes it's best left up to the imaginations of visitors to fill in the blanks. I don't believe Peoplemover told any better of a story than Rocket Rods and everyone wants that back. Sometimes people just want to have fun and not worry about a plot.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 08-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.

• Banned User

Not every attraction at Disneyland is suppose to force feed guests a story. Sometimes it's best left up to the imaginations of visitors to fill in the blanks. I don't believe Peoplemover told any better of a story than Rocket Rods and everyone wants that back. Sometimes people just want to have fun and not worry about a plot.
    Besides explicit storytelling, a la Peter Pan, there is also a whole of implicit storytelling woven into attractions. Certainly, Space Mountain has a lot of the bells and whistles which allow one to start daydreaming about life in outer space, Big Thunder has a lot of interesting little details.

Rocket Rods had a goofy preshow video, some old ride vehicles, and then kinda cobbled together ride vehicles and quick jaunt around the old People Mover track. Was it supposed to be a future mode of transportation? I guess in the future everybody pops a wheelie on the way to the supermarket!

The old People Mover was a sort of mini-escape from long lines for short rides, you got to take in the sights, and they did add on a sort of dreamy Tron sequence. The soundtrack kinda played up the idea of a Utopian society/city.

The Rocket Rods would have worked better if all guests wanted was a quick thrill with minimal theming, IMHO. But I think there was a kinda "so?" feeling at the end of the ride, with fans there was a feeling that Rocket Rods was just a retro-fitted ride on the old People Mover track, not that it existed in its own universe.

• Special Agent

I'm not sure how accurately the line reflected the ride's popularity.
    That folks were willing to wait 70+ minutes to ride (regardless of downtime) shows that they were popular.

That they were still only able to handle 1000 people per hour is the reason why they were shut down.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Singing Drinker

Honestly? If I'd a choice that didn't involve trying to get out of the utilidor they repurposed to be part of the line I'd have bailed out on it in many situations, and on several occasions the entire party I was with had a running argument over why the hell we were stuck watching old World of Motion shorts for two hours when we could be anywhere else followed by us fighting back through.

Personal anecdotal evidence and all, but yeah.

FWIW I enjoyed my last ride on the 'Rods. We'd been stuck in the line for over three hours, but I was determined I was going to ride the ^@#$#% thing for some reason. By the time we reached the station Tomorrowland was closed to guests and all the work lights were up in Innoventions and a few other areas I saw. I wound up throwing a fit in my group until I got the front seat and that tour of a vacant, closed Tomorrowland was one of the Disney experiences I hope to remember until I die.

Of course, all it took was being stuck in line for a ride until an hour or more after closing. But hey.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910