Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Artistic integrity

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

I'm also careful not to under-estimate the rumor of the moto-coaster "Speeder Bike" rumor. One person said the Tron moto-coaster idea was off. But the moto-coaster itself still be used. But with a different theme.

I've got lots of question if that's where they are possibly heading.

I've ridden Knott's motocoaster - the "Pony Express" - the back piece, the way it presses against our backs, lunging our bodies forward make for an UNCOMFORTABLE ride. One Disney insider even said - There's a reason only 5 motocoasters have been ordered, and operational today, around the world.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Unhelpful User

I thought it had been confirmed that no ride could be built on the track because safety procedures would mean they would have to have stairways all along it, and the track itself was too weak. How did they solve that problem?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    I thought it had been confirmed that no ride could be built on the track because safety procedures would mean they would have to have stairways all along it, and the track itself was too weak. How did they solve that problem?
    "Confirmed" by whom?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    "Confirmed" by whom?
    George Kalogridis at a D23 event.

any news is good news when it comes to the people mover tracks!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    George Kalogridis at a D23 event.
    Thanks.....do you know if it was off the cuff in response to a question, or in an official press release?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Closed Account

You gotta wonder why they just don't rebuild the People Mover as it was initially designed? I think its still a simple yet fascinating attraction, not much different than riding around the park via Disneyland Railroad. God forbid something isn't themed after a film.

Quote Originally Posted by kkocka View Post
    You gotta wonder why they just don't rebuild the People Mover as it was initially designed? I think its still a simple yet fascinating attraction, not much different than riding around the park via Disneyland Railroad. God forbid something isn't themed after a film.
    Good point. Looking back at Disneyland through the years, the iconic stuff isn't based on a movie or franchise: Jungle Cruise, Autopia, Space Mountain, Matterhorn and of course Pirates, plus old attractions like Adventure Thru Inner Space. I'm sure there are imagineers out there (even HERE) who have great original ideas for Disneyland. Why not ask them?

If they were doing something to the tracks that would mean a new attraction...or something...for guests...why wouldn't they announce it? I WOULD LOVE to have the peoplemover back, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
    If they were doing something to the tracks that would mean a new attraction...or something...for guests...why wouldn't they announce it? I WOULD LOVE to have the peoplemover back, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.
    For those who have "Signatures" turned off .... I have had this up for mine -

Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

And why did I put that up?

Because, one rumor going around for a couple years has been that the track would come down - and it's in place -

NOTHING !

One poster here has been sticking to one "inside" rumor, that a division has been awaiting budget approval to take the whole track down. The sentence went something like this - "Disneyland management is waiting for a budget to permanently remove the PM tracks within a couple of years". And that was said - Oh roughly .. two years ago!

Do you all want to see a future Tomorrowland devoid of any type of attraction circling Tomorrowland? I would think none of you would want that. Hence ... whatever support I can drum up from any of you .. to write to the company .. and literally BEG them ... to not dismantle the track, with no ride to replace it.

I do not want to see that become a reality.

So, if this is that rumor happening .. start writing the company now!

I'm all for a removal of the old PM tracks .. if Cal/OSHA is, forever, deeming them obsolete. But a dismantle that would mean REPLACING them ... with an all new ride going in it's place.
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
    Any number of reasons, honestly.

Right now I have a feeling TDA is bunkering down pulling the equivalent of TDO during the runup to Islands of Adventure. There's a lot they want to do and are going to do regardless, but if Universal Hollywood opens the Harry Potter West Coast land and takes a chunk out of attendance it's going to almost definitely spur a lot more building than if it doesn't.

At this point, it's safer to play the cards close. Universal's being VERY aggressive, Knott's has one of Disneyland's more fondly remembered presidents at it's helm, the parks are aging and a lot needs to be done. If I were making the call, I'd be holding out on announcing too.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I'm also careful not to under-estimate the rumor of the moto-coaster "Speeder Bike" rumor. One person said the Tron moto-coaster idea was off. But the moto-coaster itself still be used. But with a different theme.

I've got lots of question if that's where they are possibly heading.

I've ridden Knott's motocoaster - the "Pony Express" - the back piece, the way it presses against our backs, lunging our bodies forward make for an UNCOMFORTABLE ride. One Disney insider even said - There's a reason only 5 motocoasters have been ordered, and operational today, around the world.

There are more than 5.

Vekoma has built 4 and is building a 5th one in China

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=8118

Intamin has built 2.

Mick Doohan's Motocoaster - Dreamworld (Coomera, Queensland, Australia)

Jet Rescue - Sea World (Surfers Paradise, Queensland, Australia)

Zamperla, the manufacture of Pony Express, has built 8.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8561

Golden Horse has built 5.

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=6706

There are 20 known moto coasters. People seem to like them.
    Last edited by Ryan120420; 08-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Because, one rumor going around for a couple years has been that the track would come down - and it's in place -

NOTHING !

One poster here has been sticking to one "inside" rumor, that a division has been awaiting budget approval to take the whole track down.
    IMHO, Disney would only remove the exterior PeopleMover track if there was a structural issue. The main stretch of the PeopleMover track from the old People Mover load to the front of Tomorrowland still serves a couple functions: shade and a bit of futuristic theming, albeit sadly devoid of any ride. Fiscally, why remove something that just makes Tomorrowland look more like a strip mall?

• No Disassemble!

Hasn't a lot of the interior track already been removed? Even the old window into Space Mountain has been covered and painted over. If they do decide to bring back the PeopleMover it's going to cost them a lot of money. If they decide to replace the track with something else you'd see more surveyors checking out the track everyday, which hasn't happened yet in the history of ever.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek138 View Post
    Yesterday, construction work could clearly be heard over the music in the Star Tours flight deck. Multiple cast members confirmed that they had no prior warning of the construction and that the work was for the Peoplemover track, not Star Tours. Also, walls have gone up around a track beam behind the Autopia Winners Circle store. It's the section of the track that enters the Innoventions building. I would assume that they are also working on the track inside that building as well.
    4Possibilities for the Star Tours work:

1. There were ideas for putting a star field behind the R2-D2 scene, which would be a way to utilize the space formerly occupied by the Rocket Rods/People Mover. As Disney now owns Star Wars, they don't have to run changes by George Lucas, per se.

2. The People Mover track could be fixed/brought up to OSHA standards, and one piece of needed construction would be widening the track on the inside portions (for whatever clearance OSHA wants), they could also put in an emergency e-vac stairwell inside of Star Tours.

3. The Mouse likes to think ahead. If there is 'routine' maintenance being done in this area, then they might well say, "hey, we might do something with the People Track in 2015, let's save some money and get all of this work done at the same time."

4. Possibly some work being on the Inn Between and the construction noise carried to the Star Tours queue, and some castmembers were having some fun with guests!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast