Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Hasn't a lot of the interior track already been removed?
    I believe it's still there and some of it is used for storage. If they aren't going to use the space for something, then I doubt they'd take take it out as that would spending money to change something that isn't a problem.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Thanks.....do you know if it was off the cuff in response to a question, or in an official press release?
    Disney executives have been known to make certain facts up to help certain agendas. Not that I don't believe him.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mendez View Post
    Looking back at Disneyland through the years, the iconic stuff isn't based on a movie or franchise: Jungle Cruise, Autopia, Space Mountain, Matterhorn and of course Pirates, plus old attractions like Adventure Thru Inner Space. I'm sure there are imagineers out there (even HERE) who have great original ideas for Disneyland. Why not ask them?
    For years WDI has had great original ideas for major Disneyland attractions. But they've also had a management hierarchy that refuses to greenlight anything that isn't based on already-proven moneymaker brands. To Bob Iger, Tom Staggs and the cadre of financiers and strategic planners who run Disney Parks, "creative vision" means Carsland, Avatarland and Disney Princess Meet-and-Greets.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Does anyone have pictures of this action? Opinions aside, I would like to see the action the OP is talking about.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Blew By You

I guess the vice-president in charge of the People Mover finally woke up. But I'll be like others and wait for some visual evidence of some improvements.

Wouldn't it be more realistic to build a new track and tear down the existing one? Assuming they're actually building something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    There are 20 known moto coasters. People seem to like them.
    Boom... haha. For the record I found the Pony Express's restrains to be comfortable and secure-feeling. I could see problems with it if you're overweight though.

If they decide to replace the track with something else you'd see more surveyors checking out the track everyday, which hasn't happened yet in the history of ever.
    Maybe they've been doing it at night when guests are out? If I wanted to keep a project under wraps that's what I'd do. Completing the indoor portions or testing indoors would be another good way to keep it out of sight. Heck... major components for Cars Land were built and tested totally off-site. Whats to say they wouldn't do the same here?

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Disney executives have been known to make certain facts up to help certain agendas. Not that I don't believe him.
    I think he may have tried to paraphrase something and done it slightly incorrectly... look at most roller coasters... you see egress points at many areas but not along the ENTIRE track.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of this action? Opinions aside, I would like to see the action the OP is talking about.
    Yeah, I wanna see some pics or video.

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Wouldn't it be more realistic to build a new track and tear down the existing one? Assuming they're actually building something.
    Even if they were planning an as-is rebuild of the PM, which is unlikely, the current infrastructure has likely deteriorated to the point of needing a total replacement. I haven't seen any hard and fast statements from official sources as to the structural integrity of the concrete beams, but just a cursory glance from to Monorail at the PM track tells you all you need to know about the guide rails and power supplies.

• Banned User

Name:  tms-497b.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  13.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    If properly maintained, the People Mover track would have a long lifespan. So, you can see why the simply reused the track for the Rocket Rods. The track inside the buildings is pretty much protected from the elements, and would therefore expected to be in good to excellent condition, outside might be another issue as there were pictures of rust forming on some of the old RR tubular track.

They'll probably keep the double-width section of People Mover track, and the old People Mover load station, as it looks futuristic, and is some shade for guests in Tomorrowland. I think the track would only totally be removed if a new attraction needed the space and if it required a new track to be built for technological/speed reasons.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Name:  tms-497b.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  13.8 KB

If properly maintained, the People Mover track would have a long lifespan. So, you can see why the simply reused the track for the Rocket Rods. The track inside the buildings is pretty much protected from the elements, and would therefore expected to be in good to excellent condition, outside might be another issue as there were pictures of rust forming on some of the old RR tubular track.
    But wasn't the problem that the Rocket Rods banged around the outdoor pillars so much that it rendered them structurally unsound and thus the abrupt and permanent closure?

Tearing it down and replacing it makes more sense to me also. The only thing is that it will be costly. So much in fact that Disney could probably make their own Harry Potter land for the same amount of money.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post

I think he may have tried to paraphrase something and done it slightly incorrectly... look at most roller coasters... you see egress points at many areas but not along the ENTIRE track.
    Due to the construction of roller coasters, the coaster can't stop along most of the track, for example, after a lift hill it wouldn't make sense to put in an evac route as the coaster will never stop there as it's momentum will always carry it to the end of the ride or the next lift hill. There are brake zones, areas where the computer can stop a coaster, such as before going down a lift hill, if there is a problem with timing of the cars.

I can't speak to the specific issue with PM, but it is probably similar to Alice, in that you'd have to put in handrails along the entire track as any ride, even Rocket Rods, could have stopped just about anywhere if the power went out. It's not a gravity coaster. I think it is an exaggeration to say that you have to put in stairs every 25 feet . . . if guests can safely walk the entire length of track, then they could walk a 150 foot section to the evac stairway, and paramedics could likewise reach them, after all, they probably walked more than 150 feet to get to Tomorrowland.

I think that the big issue is with the Autopia section of track, a lot more narrower and they'd probably have to build a new track to accomodate a walkway and handrails.

• Banned User

But wasn't the problem that the Rocket Rods banged around the outdoor pillars so much that it rendered them structurally unsound and thus the abrupt and permanent closure?

Tearing it down and replacing it makes more sense to me also. The only thing is that it will be costly. So much in fact that Disney could probably make their own Harry Potter land for the same amount of money.
    There is a great Miceage article, an "accountanering" one with regards to RR cost. Yes, the tracks were not banked, hence the stress would be on where the track connects to the cement track . . . if the ride didn't automatically slow down at the turns. That was why the ride had a complex ride system, to slow down the RRs so that they don't fly off the sharp turns.

The computer system, (when it was working), probably worked fine with regards to keeping the RR within the tolerance speed for turns. The issue was that a lot of tires were, literally, burnt through each week, costing a lot of money. The actually painted the people mover track with high-friction aircraft carrier paint so that the tires could get enough track to pop a wheelie at the beginning of the ride.

The complex computer system had a complex job to do . . . perhaps a little too complex, and it would go 101 a lot.

So . . . I don't see why the track would be damaged. It seems that the RR always slowed down at the curves, and if they didn't, you wouldn't necessarily get damage to the cement/rebar structure, but at the weakest point, where the track was affixed to this structure.

• Minion

Yes. Most Disney fans don't realize just how much of a disaster Rocket Rods was. There are issues caused by RR that still haven't been dealt with because the price is astronomically high.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    So . . . I don't see why the track would be damaged. It seems that the RR always slowed down at the curves, and if they didn't, you wouldn't necessarily get damage to the cement/rebar structure, but at the weakest point, where the track was affixed to this structure.
    The track was not designed for the high speeds at which the RR vehicles traveled. Although they did slow down at turns, to put in layman's terms, the vibrations from the vehicles extensively damaged the existing track structure. There were times where pieces of the track fell into the submarine lagoon.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The existing PeopleMover tracks will be torn down. I'm not aware of a timeline, but TDA will eventually budget the funds for demolition. That's not to say that something won't replace them, but the existing tracks just cannot be properly retrofitted. They will be coming down.

• Banned User

RR was the ancestor of Test Track, RR, so operating such rides has come a long way in terms of the technology. In terms of People Mover track, I think from one standpoint there are basically 3 different tracks that have to be looked at for a new ride:

1. Track inside buildings. Tortuous, but protected from elements, you have to go slow, but that is OK as you could put in show scenes here. Doubt that any structural work would need to be done except for the possible widening of the path, i.e. moving walls. Disney could hire a structural engineer and over-engineer some new loading bearing walls need be. Expensive fo a homeowner, not so much for a major theme par operator.

2. The double-width People Mover track from old People Mover load station to front of Tomorrowland. Looks to be in good condition, and could be modified to allow OSHA required guest evac routes.

3. Skinny outdoor track over Autopia . . . would probably have to be drastically altered, or removed.

What they could do is put in a load/unload inside Innoventions, or perhaps used the old People Mover as the exit of the attraction, and has Innoventions as the inside queue and some show scenes, have an RSR system that goes slow on part 1 & 2, but a thrill component over the Autopia (if they choose to use that "air space").

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The track was not designed for the high speeds at which the RR vehicles traveled. Although they did slow down at turns, to put in layman's terms, the vibrations from the vehicles extensively damaged the existing track structure. There were times where pieces of the track fell into the submarine lagoon.

I said it before and I'll say it again. The existing PeopleMover tracks will be torn down. I'm not aware of a timeline, but TDA will eventually budget the funds for demolition. That's not to say that something won't replace them, but the existing tracks just cannot be properly retrofitted. They will be coming down.

Instantaneous velocity isn't the issue, so much, but the accelerations and decelerations, but the tracks were made from concrete & rebar, such as how the monorail track was constructed. The Monorail has a much higher mass than the RR, hence more "vibrations" when stoping and accelerating . . . given a comparison of the two tracks, I'd say that the People Mover track could be in good condition.

Not sure how much of the track "fell" off into the lagoon, but you can lose a piece of the superficial cement and not be a stone's throw away from structural failure.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast