Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller341 View Post
    Here's an interesting question: would you rather see the People mover come back as a ride based on a movie, or not come back at all. Those are probably the two options we have.
    Honestly probably nothing.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    So . . . I don't see why the track would be damaged. It seems that the RR always slowed down at the curves, and if they didn't, you wouldn't necessarily get damage to the cement/rebar structure, but at the weakest point, where the track was affixed to this structure.
    The vibrations. They were terrible. Were you ever in the Space Mountain queue when a Rocket Rod went by overhead? The whole building shook. Remember that they ended up closing the second floor of the StarCade because the Rods were shaking loose the ceiling tiles and they were falling to the floor?

Instantaneous velocity isn't the issue, so much, but the accelerations and decelerations, but the tracks were made from concrete & rebar, such as how the monorail track was constructed. The Monorail has a much higher mass than the RR, hence more "vibrations" when stoping and accelerating . . . given a comparison of the two tracks, I'd say that the People Mover track could be in good condition.
    Lateral G Forces.

Disney structural engineers looked at the stresses involved with RR, on the track based on how the People Mover track was designed, I don't know the exact specifics, but you seem to be implying that the engineers who did the calculation made a mistake. I haven't heard anything about that. I guess we'll see what happens.
    They didn't make a mistake, but they knew there would be problems. If you do a little digging you will see how unhappy
    WDI was with the end design of the Rocket Rods and were even promising to upgrade the vehicles before it even opened (google Marty Sklar yugo quotes.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Just a quick fyi, I rode the Monorail in a little while ago, and as far as I could see the entire outdoor portion of the track already has a walkway with a railing on one side of the track.
    Yep, most of the outdoor portions of the track were given a railing for Rocket Rods.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Additionally, if the tracks were that damaged, I have a feeling OSHA would have wanted those tracks down shortly after the RR's closed due to earthquake concerns.
    OSHA is concerned with employee safety. Not building codes. It's far more likely that if any work is going on with the tracks, that OSHA is requiring them to put handrails on any section that has a 30" drop off the side.

Besides, you're confusing two seperate things here. The peoplemover track could be sturdy enough to stand as-is for another 30 years. That doesn't mean it can support the weight of a new ride on it (which would make it useless).

• Special Agent

1. Track inside buildings. Tortuous, but protected from elements, you have to go slow, but that is OK as you could put in show scenes here. Doubt that any structural work would need to be done except for the possible widening of the path, i.e. moving walls.
    Supposedly (I haven't looked it up exactly) the OSHA requirements are that there exist 36" of clearence on both sides of a ride vehicle. If this is the case, entire buildings would have to be reconfigured and load bearing walls would have to be moved around. Can it be done? Yes? Would it cost as much as a 3rd gate and require Space Mountain and Star Tours be down for months on end? Yes it would.

That's part of the reason why so many folks at Disney have been saying it's impossible to just bring the Peoplemover back. It's economically infeasible.

• World of Color

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Supposedly (I haven't looked it up exactly) the OSHA requirements are that there exist 36" of clearence on both sides of a ride vehicle. If this is the case, entire buildings would have to be reconfigured and load bearing walls would have to be moved around. Can it be done? Yes? Would it cost as much as a 3rd gate and require Space Mountain and Star Tours be down for months on end? Yes it would.

That's part of the reason why so many folks at Disney have been saying it's impossible to just bring the Peoplemover back. It's economically infeasible.
    Maybe when Stars Tours had the long refurb back in 2011 they did something to the people mover track we all don't know about.

• Minion

Right now I'm standing at the top of the innoventions ramp and can see the walled area. The walls are just around the old stairway behind Winners Circle and there is scaffolding halfway up the stairs. The scaffolding blocks the stairway, so they are not using it to access the track. It looks like they are just working on the staircase under the track and not the track itself at this point.

• Minion

The vibrations. They were terrible. Were you ever in the Space Mountain queue when a Rocket Rod went by overhead? The whole building shook. Remember that they ended up closing the second floor of the StarCade because the Rods were shaking loose the ceiling tiles and they were falling to the floor?

They didn't make a mistake, but they knew there would be problems. If you do a little digging you will see how unhappy
    WDI was with the end design of the Rocket Rods and were even promising to upgrade the vehicles before it even opened (google Marty Sklar yugo quotes.
    OSHA is concerned with employee safety. Not building codes. It's far more likely that if any work is going on with the tracks, that OSHA is requiring them to put handrails on any section that has a 30" drop off the side.

Besides, you're confusing two seperate things here. The peoplemover track could be sturdy enough to stand as-is for another 30 years. That doesn't mean it can support the weight of a new ride on it (which would make it useless).

Exactly. Right on all counts.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Somebody pull the building permits.
    If anything, there would ONLY be something going DOWN. Don't need building permits for that. Until they actually have something to go UP, there won't be any building permits available.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Even if they were planning an as-is rebuild of the PM, which is unlikely, the current infrastructure has likely deteriorated to the point of needing a total replacement. I haven't seen any hard and fast statements from official sources as to the structural integrity of the concrete beams, but just a cursory glance from to Monorail at the PM track tells you all you need to know about the guide rails and power supplies.
    The infrastructure for many of the older attractions (Subs, Autopia, People Mover, etc.) are so well built that when they looked into those issues for the '98 redo, they found that the structures were overbuilt and were in no way suffering any deterioration.

I think it's kind of like the House of the Future. When they went to demolish it, the wrecking ball just bounced off.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by WoC 95 View Post
    Isn't it funny that with the latest OSHA violation Disney got in the last couple of months there no violation on the people mover track. Maybe Disney knows something we don't
    That's a bad sign to me because if OSHA isn't pressing Disney on this then that means Disney has proven to OSHA in some way that they won't be doing any construction on the track. And Disney won't need to put up any permanent fall prevention if all they are going to do is either let it sit there for twenty more years or demolish it.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    do you think they've been sitting empty for over 10 years? The track absolutely cannot be used in its current state.
    The PM/ Rocket Rods track has been empty because there hasn't been any concepts that have been bought off to replace RR.

Rocket Rods was closed due to costs and other operational factors, not due to track failure. Since the track was in good condition back then, and there haven't been any stresses added to it since then, there is little reason to think that it couldn't be upgraded to provide for another attraction. I believe that there had actually been a TRON concept last year that used much of the existing track.
    Last edited by bfdf55; 08-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.

• Minion

For the most part, for the people of Disney, most EVERYTHING is economically unfeasible, bringing back or creating something new. It takes a lot of perseverance and persistence to convince them otherwise.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Rocket Rods was closed doe to costs and other operational factors, not due to track failure. Since the track was in good condition back then, and there haven't been any stresses added to it since then, there is little reason to think that it couldn't be upgraded to provide for another attraction. I believe that there had actually been a TRON concept last year that used much of the existing track.
    RR was not closed due to track failure. But one of the effects of the RR was structural damage to the track. I'm not saying that the track is going to crumble tomorrow, just that there is no way it can support another attraction in its current state.

Fitz has been pushing for a TRON lightcycle attraction for years. The TRON theme was discarded after Legacy wasn't a hit. He keeps pushing it, but it won't happen (in Anaheim, anyway.)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    RR was not closed due to track failure. But one of the effects of the RR was structural damage to the track. I'm not saying that the track is going to crumble tomorrow, just that there is no way it can support another attraction in its current state.

Fitz has been pushing for a TRON lightcycle attraction for years. The TRON theme was discarded after Legacy wasn't a hit. He keeps pushing it, but it won't happen (in Anaheim, anyway.)
    Didn't say it would happen. Just pointing out that the condition of the existing track was not an issue during the concept of the TRON attraction.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast