Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Didn't say it would happen. Just pointing out that the condition of the existing track was not an issue during the concept of the TRON attraction.
    The TRON attraction concept did not include the existing tracks.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    That's a bad sign to me because if OSHA isn't pressing Disney on this then that means Disney has proven to OSHA in some way that they won't be doing any construction on the track. And Disney won't need to put up any permanent fall prevention if all they are going to do is either let it sit there for twenty more years or demolish it.
    If there's no activity going on with the track, there's no need for OSHA compliance. Trust me on this - if the vacant track as it stands now were an OSHA violation, Disney would have done something. Nothing gets a company's attention like a cumulative fine.

But that has no bearing on FUTURE plans. Only that the current situation would be one where OSHA either feels no need to regulate what is occurring with the track, or that whatever they're doing with it is still within compliance as it stands.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The TRON attraction concept did not include the existing tracks.
    Um, yes it did. I believe that some portions over Autopia were part of the concept.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Um, yes it did. I believe that some portions over Autopia were part of the concept.

No, the existing tracks were not a part of the TRON attraction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The vibrations. They were terrible. Were you ever in the Space Mountain queue when a Rocket Rod went by overhead? The whole building shook. Remember that they ended up closing the second floor of the StarCade because the Rods were shaking loose the ceiling tiles and they were falling to the floor?
    It's true that happened, but it wasn't neccessarliy because the track itself was vibrating and that those vibrations were transmitted via the foundation.

For anybody who has ever been on the highway, and had a truck, or even a large van, whiz past them, you get some pretty serious vibrations. Same thing if you live in an apartment building right next to an elevated train. The wind turbulence can, and does, cause vibrations. I lived in an old brownstone once, and you can get that when the wind kicked up you could feel the building move.

The Starcade section, and I believe the area above Space, are enclosed, and the tunnels (not the track) weren't designed for the wind turbulence/resonance and whatever other effects you get.

Look at Expedition Everest, the track was designed not to touch the mountain.

I don't have a blue print for the old PM track, and what changes were made to the foundation when Space was built, but some of the "damage" such as lose ceiling tiles can be explained by forces transmitted in tight confines when the RR was moving quickly and vibrations from the wind turbulence.

There is also the issue of where the buildings touched the track . . . the track can move some, but loose drywall and regular construction might well vibrate and give the appearance that the building will fall.

No doubt the engineers saw the "shaking" when testing, and it wasn't enough to shutdown the track. What we'd need is to talk to engineers who work for Disney.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.

• Banned User

Supposedly (I haven't looked it up exactly) the OSHA requirements are that there exist 36" of clearence on both sides of a ride vehicle. If this is the case, entire buildings would have to be reconfigured and load bearing walls would have to be moved around. Can it be done? Yes? Would it cost as much as a 3rd gate and require Space Mountain and Star Tours be down for months on end? Yes it would.
    I'm not so sure it would be cost prohibitive. What would it cost for a structural engineer to look at the blue prints, put in the new load bearing wall (in for example a 50 foot stretch), and then remove the old wall. Maybe $40,000 (given these are Disney sized walls!). Maybe for the whole people mover route, it would be a lot of 50 foot sections, so maybe $2 million?

But you know what, if they are going to put in a new attraction using this path, they'll probably want more space for show scenes, so maybe this work would kinda kill two birds with one stone.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I remember reading this earlier this month (understanding this is just rumors but still falls in line, time wise)

"...in Tomorrowland, as part of a strategic plan is to remake that aging section and restore its former glory. The plan now, using development funds under the 100 Million dollar mark already earmarked for Disneyland, is to go in and do “placemaking” and aesthetic improvements in Tomorrowland just prior to the 60th Anniversary in 2015. Captain EO is on the chopping block with that plan, which should come as no surprise to anyone. The long-rumored West Coast version of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Factory would take up residence in that 3-D theater, while the area around it gets an aesthetic re-skinning that will help it mesh better with the big-budget plan to bring more Star Wars presence to Tomorrowland. The E Ticket of the Tomorrowland remake uses the speeder bike coaster concept on the old PeopleMover route, originally Imagineered with a Tron theme but now using Star Wars as the storyline for the new ride."

Taken from here

Disneyland Tomorrowland Rumors, News

• Banned User

Here's something interesting to ponder (and I'm just making a random comment), but assuming that the RRs did do structural damage to the cement-rebar structure, (I'm thinking visible damage), wouldn't they put "bridge sensors" on the track?

Bridges in the US at risk of structural failure are sometimes fitted with bridge sensors to see if the problem gets worse i.e. movement, measured daily in fractions of an inch . . . wouldn't Disney legal want some bridge sensors on the track? It would allow for Disney to do daily "inspections"/monitoring of the track, via a computer, and if there was movement (like a track piece is going to fall), then they'd evac Autopia. (The sky is falling!) Overall, the PM track is basically built using the same principles as a lot of bridges in the US.

Haven't seen anything like that though . . .
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Book Fever View Post
    The long-rumored West Coast version of the Monsters Inc. Laugh Factory would take up residence in that 3-D theater, while the area around it gets an aesthetic re-skinning that will help it mesh better with the big-budget plan to bring more Star Wars presence to Tomorrowland. The E Ticket of the Tomorrowland remake uses the speeder bike coaster concept on the old PeopleMover route, originally Imagineered with a Tron theme but now using Star Wars as the storyline for the new ride."
    The Monsters Laugh Floor didn't turn out to be as big of a hit as WDI had hoped. They were thinking of cloning it and putting it in other parks, but those plans were scrubbed. They had to rework the show for months as guests reactions weren't as wonderful as they'd hope. It's an OK attraction, but mostly its do it once and you're finished. Tokyo went with a real ride, Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek.

Not sure why WDI would put a Monsters Laugh Floor in TL, especially with the other Monsters ride in DCA which isn't necessarily super popular either.

There were rumors about a Star Wars speeder ride for TL, but don't think it involves "bikes", or a recycled Tron system.

• Special Agent

Wind vibrations from the fans they installed in the tunnels? Probably not. The Rocket Rods never went fast enough to even generate a mild breeze.

• Minion

I was reviewing today's pictures while they are uploading. It looks like what they are doing to the staircase is welding extensions onto the railings to make the railings taller. This staircase is for PM/RR track access, so they are probably bringing it up to code so that workers can use it to access the track for whatever work they are going to be doing.

• Banned User

Wind vibrations from the fans they installed in the tunnels? Probably not. The Rocket Rods never went fast enough to even generate a mild breeze.
    The People Mover went 7 mph in 16:00 minutes, per wiki. For RR an average speed of 35 mph is listed, and it took the Rocket Rods 3 minutes to traverse the same track. And, of course, besides the turbulence, you've got a building around a track. Didn't matter much when the People Mover chugged along, but they made sure that Expedition Everest's track didn't touch the "mountain" part of the ride as the vibrations would have damaged it.

Not saying that the PM track vibrated very much, but it was probably built with wide tolerances as the PM was new technology and Walt wanted attractions to be safe. Even a small, insignificant (structurally) vibration in the PM track could cause a loud vibration in something not secured properly.

If RR is going at a good clip, it could add some air turbulence to the mix, which could be amplified when flying down a narrow corridor. How the air movement interacts with the restricted space probably matters.

As anybody who has driven down the freeway knows, if a truck, or fast car (going perhaps 25 mph faster than you) passes you, you get some vibrations. Added to the mix is the accelerations/decelerations, remember that air sort of behaves like a liquid, acceleration quickly and you have a wave of air that will hit something . . . in a tortuous path that something is a wall. And even if the path is straight, you've still got the possibility of turbulence and possible resonance peculiarities.

A RR car on a relatively enclose track is almost like a piston, and I could see how air pressure could build and rattle the windows or whatever.

I guess we'll have to bring in an expert in fluid dynamics to solve this problem!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    I was reviewing today's pictures while they are uploading. It looks like what they are doing to the staircase is welding extensions onto the railings to make the railings taller. This staircase is for PM/RR track access, so they are probably bringing it up to code so that workers can use it to access the track for whatever work they are going to be doing.
    Very interesting news, IMO. If the PM was slated to be demolished in a relatively short timeframe, then why make improvements? More likely OSHA saw something they didn't like and they had to fix it, ASAP.

I would figure that routine maintenance for maintaining the PM track would involve basically painting it, and inspections. Probably could be done in 3-4 days every year, or every other year I guess. Maybe they are making such maintenance safer to accomplish, or perhaps more frequent access for a construction project on the rails necessitated the upgrade.

• Banned User

It is interesting that while the Rocket Rod cars were destroyed, the track still remains. In theory, if the track is structurally sound, why not use the track for a slower moving ride with new cars? One problem with the old RR was hourly capacity, I think it was abysmal in part because they had to space out the RRs significantly in order to maintain a prudent safety cushion. With slower moving vehicles, such as a speed similar to the old PM, they wouldn't need to space them out so much.

Plus, Test Track and RSR sort of prove that Disney has made great strides with this technology. If they've got busbars in the tracks, they they could use it to both power some ride vehicles, and provide some current to run some small AC units, and thus could have partially enclosed ride vehicles . . . would this obviate the need for widening on the inside portions of the track? Even if they did have to remove walls, they could get a new attraction for a fraction of the cost of building something from the ground up, though it might not go as fast as the RRs.

Would they have to add double railings on both sides of the track? I sure wouldn't want to have to evacuate on a track where if you fall over tubular steel/busbars, you fall down on the Autopia somewhere . ..

My personal feeling, at least on the Star Tours section, is that they may be starting to test future concepts in the tunnel area. That's all.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast