Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Very interesting news, IMO. If the PM was slated to be demolished in a relatively short timeframe, then why make improvements? More likely OSHA saw something they didn't like and they had to fix it, ASAP.

I would figure that routine maintenance for maintaining the PM track would involve basically painting it, and inspections. Probably could be done in 3-4 days every year, or every other year I guess. Maybe they are making such maintenance safer to accomplish, or perhaps more frequent access for a construction project on the rails necessitated the upgrade.
    On the other hand, so far the extended railings only go halfway up the stairs and at that point there is a door and the sign on the door says "SHOW TECHNICAL TRAINING CENTER - FLOOR 2", so if they don't continue the work farther up this could just be for access to that door to be up to Cal-OSHA requirements.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    My personal feeling, at least on the Star Tours section, is that they may be starting to test future concepts in the tunnel area. That's all.
    Maybe so! I used to love the old PM's Tron scenes . . . with today's technology, they could put wall to wall screens in there, (though I'm not a big proponent of using screens in rides, the space is kinda limited). Since the space is just being used for storage, they could easily use it to test things, no obvious need to build a mock up.

• Minion

Here come the pictures:

IMG_6522 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6523 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6525 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6526 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6527 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6528 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_6529 by socal_ron, on Flickr

• Banned User

Interesting, it does look like that stairwell could have used a little bit more railing, but why all the scaffolding? Surely they weren't wedged in there doing welding, and the welding job looks like it is finished. My guess is that they might be adding a light up there, for safety reasons.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Interesting, it does look like that stairwell could have used a little bit more railing, but why all the scaffolding? Surely they weren't wedged in there doing welding, and the welding job looks like it is finished. My guess is that they might be adding a light up there, for safety reasons.
    Also, the new railing will need to be painted, and the rest looks a little rusty too. It could be that the scaffold is set for painting on Monday.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Also, the new railing will need to be painted, and the rest looks a little rusty too. It could be that the scaffold is set for painting on Monday.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the pictures.

The "construction" isn't happening where I thought it was. This is nothing. From what I've heard in the past, this old peoplemover storage and maintanance area is ued for various testing and training now. I think it's just another OSHA issue they have to address.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

The scaffolding is on the stairs; and that looks like a fire escape for the Innoventions building. This looks like maintenance more than anything.
    A fanatic is someone who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim. George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The TRON attraction concept did not include the existing tracks.
    Just curious. Was this to replace the PM/RR track? If so how was it going to be? Was it a rollercoaster track? Did it have the same route and loading area? Any other details would be appreciated
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Just curious. Was this to replace the PM/RR track? If so how was it going to be? Was it a rollercoaster track? Did it have the same route and loading area?
    I can't give away too much, but I will say that it did not follow the entirely same route and did not reuse the old loading area.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Just wait and see what happens. You can continue to debate the details, but the fact of the matter is that the tracks are coming down.
    You're stressing this point pretty hard. Where are you getting this fact - specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    The infrastructure for many of the older attractions (Subs, Autopia, People Mover, etc.) are so well built that when they looked into those issues for the '98 redo, they found that the structures were overbuilt and were in no way suffering any deterioration.

I think it's kind of like the House of the Future. When they went to demolish it, the wrecking ball just bounced off.
    I should clarify - infrastructure in this case refers to any and all ride components required for an operational attraction. The concrete structures themselves and their load-bearing capacity and integrity is up for debate. The wiring, guide rails, electric components, etc - one look from the monorail will tell you all you need to know. It needs a total ripout and rework. That in itself probably wouldn't be that hard to do (assuming they can still fabricate/obtain parts) but that isn't the whole story - hence the vacant track.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    You're stressing this point pretty hard. Where are you getting this fact - specifically?
    I'm increasingly curious on this as well - moreso since this does NOT look like anything specifically to do with the PM and everything to do with a stairwell rehab. I had doubts that this was relating to removing the track to begin with, and the pictures and very limited scope of work makes any definitive pronouncements about the work relating to demolishing the PM tracks... problematic.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'm increasingly curious on this as well - moreso since this does NOT look like anything specifically to do with the PM and everything to do with a stairwell rehab. I had doubts that this was relating to removing the track to begin with, and the pictures and very limited scope of work makes any definitive pronouncements about the work relating to demolishing the PM tracks... problematic.
    Most likely this is related to OSHA/Disney reviewing certain hazards in the park. The stairwell in question goes to a backstage area, but it is also used for access to the PM evacuation/access stairwell, which at the top (in white) looks like it is already up to snuff.

I don't think that Disney would take down the old PM route if they didn't need to. Why would Colglazier spend the money to remove the PM track over the Autopia, if it is not a pressing concern? Alice's temporary-permanent scaffolding is, at least in my mind, much more of an eyesore.

The double-track section of the PM track still looks futuristic, and adds to the atmosphere along the hub entrance of Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Here come the pictures:

I can remember using those stairs to exit when the Peoplemover broke down.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast