Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Peoplemover Track Being Worked On!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I can't give away too much, but I will say that it did not follow the entirely same route and did not reuse the old loading area.
    It is rumored that Shanghai Disneyland will get a Vekoma-Tron motorbike coaster. It will take up a lot of space, there will probably be a Space Mountain sized structure a good 50% larger than the current Space Mountain (I'm thinking 300 feet diameter vs. 200 feet) due to the size of the trains (they are wider), turning radii, etc . . .

A lot of the PM track is over the Subs . . . it would be very expensive to plop down new pylons in this area of the land, and there isn't a lot of space in DL's Tomorrowland for a motorbike coaster, they would have to take out the old double-length people mover track, somehow fit the motorbike Tron coaster, probably a high speed launch and a hair-pin turn at the entrance, but the coaster couldn't go into the buildings like the People Mover (not unless they do a major demolition/construction project, and they'd had to sink new pylons, even then there isn't a whole lot of space.

Innovention's footprint is about 200 feet across, I'd think they need to demolish it and try to build something bigger, but still kinda awkward.

The most workable solution (cheapest) would be to have the motorbike coaster go over the roofs of Tomorrowland, I'd guess they'd have to be themed, but it would allow for turns and an outside portion of the track similar to what is being built for Shanghai.

I kinda think that Shanghai's Tron coaster will be an exclusive for that park for a while. Shendi is pretty secretive/controlling with regards to the project, and they've being studying HKDL and obviously want Shanghai to be the best, and that may well include having exclusive E-Tickets.

You can see why they don't tear down the PM track over the Subs, it might well not need to be removed, and they probably wouldn't put in another track over the Subs, so if they want to put in a ride in this area in the future, might as well keep the old track (or at least the pylons).
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-05-2013 at 09:58 AM.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Here come the pictures:

Thanks for the pictures.

It's obvious what they are doing.

Got nothing to do with pre-work for new Tomorrowland attractions.

It's the same over-regulated mandates such as this one:

More of the same from this Sept 2011 update -

http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-d...ails-more.html

And from the same mandates that changed the bridges around the former Carnation Gardens to protect people from the treacherous man-eating rushing river below - the creek feeding into the moat around the castle! And the same mandate that altered a bridge for Casey Jr. Circus Train, etc!

Our tax dollars here to serve us! Over regulate Disneyland to the point where - It won't be long that It's A Small World and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train are outfitted with over-the-shoulder head restraints!

As for the noises coming in from Star Tours area ... probably nothing to get excited about either.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 08-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The monorail track was designed to handle the vibrations of the monorail vehicle. The PeopleMover tracks were not designed to handle the Rocket Rods. The tracks are in awful condition and are coming down.
    Why do you think they've been sitting empty for over 10 years? The track absolutely cannot be used in its current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    You're stressing this point pretty hard. Where are you getting this fact - specifically?
    Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I'm increasingly curious on this as well - moreso since this does NOT look like anything specifically to do with the PM and everything to do with a stairwell rehab. I had doubts that this was relating to removing the track to begin with, and the pictures and very limited scope of work makes any definitive pronouncements about the work relating to demolishing the PM tracks... problematic.
    They never did state facts as to the tracks coming down so I would take it with a grain of salt.
    Additionally, this comes out in today's Miceage Update:

Once the 60th Anniversary begins to wind down, the real work begins on plans to build a Star Wars speeder bike coaster on the old PeopleMover tracks.
    I think I tend to believe people with confirmed sources more so than somebody who states something with no factual back up.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I think I tend to believe people with confirmed sources more so than somebody who states something with no factual back up.
    ???

Can you name one of the sources? If not, it isn't a confirmed source just another anonymous one.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Can you name one of the sources? If not, it isn't a confirmed source just another anonymous one.
    I don't think a leading Disney newsgroup with sources that have a track record and that the writers are mostly known around here are "just another anonymous one" Try again.

• Banned User

It'll be interesting to see what develops. Miceage didn't specify how much of the original People Mover track would be used. The Tron coaster in Shanghai, is a real coaster thrill ride, with a linear induction motor (LIM) launch zone.

Some rides, like MK's People Mover use LIM for the whole track, (it's flat and hence you can have a LIM launch zone to the top of a hill to build up potential energy). Rocket Rods actually used busbars to power the motor in the ride vehicles, similar to RSR.

If a motorbike coaster was put into TL, expect major track construction. If the ride is a true gravity coaster on much of the length, i.e. an LIM replacing a lift hill then you go through a series of "dips" on the inside/outside, then this would obviate the need for stairways everywhere as the ride would never stop on such a track if launched, with the exception of any additional lift hills and brake zones.

Given that a motorbike coaster would definitely need banked turns, and that PM's track is flat, under this scenario, they'd probably only be able use part of the old PM track, and the motorbike couldn't go into buildings unless they really widened the buildings, even then, this thing would really move, like maybe 45 mph, and it would need to hold a lot of people to be efficient . . . I'm thinking mostly an entirely new track.

Would the hairpin turn that the PM/RR made to go into the Star Tours being be too tight for a motorbike coaster? I'm thinking yes, I doubt it could do that, unless it there was a brake zone to really slow it down, and then they used LIM to power coaster as it limps through the interior.

They could add a coaster track over the old PM double-width track, just cut holes and drill down for metal pylons which they'd need to disguise or theme, then have a turn over either side of TL, I'm thinking over Star Tours/past Space Mountain and into a new showbuilding for the bulk of the ride at Innoventions, though it would be one big show building. Could be done, but they'd have to figure out where to drill down into the buildings in TL, and they'd have to theme the roof.

As TL is cramped for space, I'd add an exterior motorbike loop around Space Mountain (WDI has thought about that before when they looked at the 98' Tomorrowland).

With all these hurdles, another is artistic, Star Wars isn't exactly known for motorbikes . . . I hope Disney doesn't go universal and just slap "Star Wars" on a motorbike coaster.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 08-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    With all these hurdles, another is artistic, Star Wars isn't exactly known for motorbikes . . . I hope Disney doesn't go universal and just slap "Star Wars" on a motorbike coaster.
    Speederbikes, Return of the Jedi - it'd be the most likely candidate if "bike" is going to be a requirement for ride vehicle.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

I hope they bring the peoplemover back, because that was one of Shrunken Ned's favorite rides to go on and it would be great for him
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Speederbikes, Return of the Jedi - it'd be the most likely candidate if "bike" is going to be a requirement for ride vehicle.
    The motorbike coasters are really a "pack" of motorbikes (really just a new way of sitting down on a coaster), they wouldn't thread one motorbike through at a time as this would be worse ride capacity than the Rocket Rods, and would make the whole attraction "single rider" with an 8 hour line.

Would a pack of Return of the Jedi "bikes" look good or make sense flying around TL? I think that in Return of the Jedi, the hoover bikes were mostly hoovering relatively closer to the ground, and were kinda military equipment used on a rough terrain, not in a futuristic city, which is how I think TL should look.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

I don't think a leading Disney newsgroup with sources that have a track record and that the writers are mostly known around here are "just another anonymous one" Try again.
    I don't think you understand what a source is in this context. Al and the others that write the report are "reporters" not the sources. You may wish to disregard that you used the word "confirmed" but that is what I addressed.

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    I don't think you understand what a source is in this context. Al and the others that write the report are "reporters" not the sources. You may wish to disregard that you used the word "confirmed" but that is what I addressed.
    Content, Shmongtent. I understand what a source is and Miceage has their sources which I tend to believe since they have a track record with their sources. Just like Bernstein and Woodward had their sources and they got it right, correct?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Content, Shmongtent. I understand what a source is and Miceage has their sources which I tend to believe since they have a track record with their sources. Just like Bernstein and Woodward had their sources and they got it right, correct?
    But didn't those same sources once report that the PM would be brought back with an Incredibles, TRON overlay?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The motorbike coasters are really a "pack" of motorbikes (really just a new way of sitting down on a coaster), they wouldn't thread one motorbike through at a time as this would be worse ride capacity than the Rocket Rods, and would make the whole attraction "single rider" with an 8 hour line.

Would a pack of Return of the Jedi "bikes" look good or make sense flying around TL? I think that in Return of the Jedi, the hoover bikes were mostly hoovering relatively closer to the ground, and were kinda military equipment used on a rough terrain, not in a futuristic city, which is how I think TL should look.
    I don't honestly think they'd make sense - I don't honestly support a redo of the area to Star Wars in any case. But, given the rumors and the reality of ultra conservative corporate thinking (investment - large IP-themed land - at Universal is doing gangbusters, we must have the same) I'm trying to tease out what I think could be good. I know from years of personal observation as well as relatively concrete rumors AND confirmation from friends who've been let go from Imagineering that the Peoplemover track has long been a bone of contention and that design wars have apparently been won or lost based around ideas for it.

Again, I really don't think a SW land is the best way they could go here. I'm really treating this as an intellectual "devil's advocate" exercise.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    But didn't those same sources once report that the PM would be brought back with an Incredibles, TRON overlay?
    sleepyjeff "Johnson"* is right!

*Blazing Saddles reference

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    FWIW, that point is addressed within the article.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast