Magic Morning as Hotel Guest- better to enter via main gates, or Monorail?

My family will be staying @ Disneyland Hotel Aug 28-31. Greatly looking forward to it!

My question- to best utilize our Magic Mornings in DL- are we smarter to join the queue at the Main Gates in the AM, or would we be better off entering via the monorail from Downtown Disney station? Our primary goal is to enjoy as many rides as possible (primarily in Tomorrowland) in the AM, and don't mind the "extra" walk from the hotel to the MainGate, if that would be quicker. But some seem to think lines are shorter for the monorail in the AM, and would be quicker. Any opinions?

Similarly, for Magic Morning at DCA- should we enter via the Grand Californian entrance, or Main Gates? Again, I've heard opinions both ways- some GC reviews talk of that entrance only having one or two Cast Members in the AM, and admittance being painfully slow. However, the entrance is right by the World of Color fastpass distribution area, which would probably be my first stop (while the kids + wife make a beeline to Radiator Racers :-) Again, all opinions welcome.

Re: Magic Morning as Hotel Guest- better to enter via main gates, or Monorail?

Whoa! I'll be staying there at that time with my girlfriend! I, obviously, am no help in answering your question, so I'll just second your question! I'd like to know which is the best way in for Magic Mornings!

• Professional Poltergeist

Hey OP! I'd like to preface my response by saying that usually my entrance recommendations differ depending on whether or not the group entering has been to Disneyland/DCA recently. I say this because, although the lines might be ever-so-slightly longer for the main gates, the wow factor for enterting is totally worth it, if you don't visit frequently.

That being said, DL's monorail's "one and only stop" is inside of Tomorrowland itself. How perfect is that for your ride schedule? Also, if you're staying in a Disney hotel, the monorail would be faster and give you less time on your feet. (Which , by the end of the day, will be a god send. )

As for the DCA entrance, as I said before, if you haven't been to DCA since the Buena Vista remodel, it definitely bears seeing as you enter. It really is a beautiful and immersive setting worthy of the Disney name. Also, the main entrance is closer to the Radiator Springs Fast Pass distribution point, if that's something you'd be interested in. It's located right next to It's Tough to be a Bug. However, if you're just looking for the quickest access point, I'd suggest the Grand Californian entrance. I've never had a line walking through there, and the cast members there seem a lot less tense. Also, if I recall correctly, I believe that Radiator Springs racers would be closer to this access point. Don't forget to walk into Carsland through the arch located at the end of the Pacific Wharf (past Cocina Cucamonga/ that beer stand. )

Enjoy!

• Closed Account

My experience with the Monorail and Magic Mornings is that they never worked together. The Monorail opens when it's "ready to open" and doesn't always open on time. If you pass by the Monorail and it's open at the right time, go for it, otherwise, you are better off walking. There are days when the Monorail isn't "ready to go" until a half hour into Magic Mornings. It just depends on the day, the Monorail operator, etc.

• The doctor is in

In my experience it's better to go through the main gates. Like johnlawwhiskey said, it does depend on the status of the monorail. We missed our MM window 2 out of the 3 days just waiting for the monorail to leave. We could have walked through DTD and gone through the bag check faster. But if you see it is up and running, go for it.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Johnny and Me!

Last time I stayed at the Paradise Pier, the Monorail was loading passengers at 8:00 (there was no EMH that day). There was little to no wait, from what I recall.

• Chief Troublemaker

As far as the Grand entrance to DCA, my opinion is avoid it like the plague during EMH. Extremely long line that moves achingly slow (only ONE line with maybe two bag checkers). We checked it out once about an hour before bag check opening & turned right around & headed the other way. Walk to the main gate for sure!

As far as the monorail for EMH to DL, and this is anecdotal as we didn't try it, I was told that IF you can manage to catch the very first monorail in to DL you're fine. But that if you don't catch the first one, you'll be wasting a good portion (if not all) of your EMH waiting. Don't know for sure as we were at the Grand so we never passed by the station on our way to the esplanade. Also don't know the track record (pun intended) as far as the first monorail departure time.

I guess things aren't as efficient as a few years ago. I know that when we were there in 2005 (or thereabouts) we did take the monorail during Magic Morning. We caught the first train and were actually held at the TL station because we got there 'too early'.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Selfie Expert

The few times I've seen the EMH line for the GCH entry, it's been outrageous and slow moving. That entrance is great to use at all other times other than openings, though.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Disneyland Dreamer

Main gates all the way.

• Tourist

I don't know if the Monorail would give you an advantage for the DL early entry.

But at the DCA early entry, I'm sure the main gates would be better, especially if you want to be near the front of the line for Radiator Springs Racers. My suggestion is to get to the bag-check area early (about 6:20 am) to be one of the first in line at the DCA gates.

If you can be among the first to arrive at the Cars Land early entry rope line, RSR will be almost a walk-on. But if you are even a few minutes late, the wait time can be over 50 minutes. Try to get to the right-hand side of the rope line as it changes angles to funnel the crowd to the right into a single line at the RSR entrance.

I recommend that the entire family stays together for a RSR walk-on, then send one member of the family over to the FastPass distribution point to get in line for the 8 am opening and get FastPasses for everybody. We did it twice last week, and it worked perfectly both times.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    The few times I've seen the EMH line for the GCH entry, it's been outrageous and slow moving. That entrance is great to use at all other times other than openings, though.
    The DCA early entry through the GCH is a joke. I tried it during my trip last fall and I wasted about 40 of the 60min waiting in line just to get into the park. The CMs were slow, didn't seem to know how to wind the line around properly, and took forever with bag checks. It would have been faster to walk through DTD and go through the main gates.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.