It's a Small World Hello/Goodbye Rooms

So this is my first question so I think I'd start with this one. I have a few questions about Disneyland's It's a Small World attraction. I have noticed in my lifetime several changes to the ride throughout my years of visiting Disneyland. Obviously the facade, characters, music, etc. but I have a few questions considering these certain matters I can never find an answer to.

1. What did the original 1966 hello and goodbye scenes look like? I have never seen pictures of them. I can only recall two different kinds of hello/goodbye banners in my lifetime. The current one with the postcard stamps and the rainbows from the 80s/90s. I'd love to hear from those who can remember going to Disneyland in the 60s!

2. When did they paint the facade their different colors? I remember when they brought back the original white in 2003.

3. What exact time did they change the original 60s soundtrack to the Paris soundtrack? I know it had to have been in the 90s but what year?

4. I heard that the green sea serpent in the hello room was not originally part of the ride. When did they add that?

I'd love to hear from those who have a good memory. And if anyone has pictures, that would be even more awesome! I'm super curious!

• Johnny and Me!

Re: It's a Small World Hello/Goodbye Rooms

I know the facade was repainted in 1992. Here's a picture:

it's a small world | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Incidentally, this picture provides a good view of the trees behind the facade, which were located in crates on top of the show building. They were gone by the 2000s.

1. I wasn't there in 1964, but if you have a copy of the narrated LP of the attraction there are great shots of the Welcome room. Pics are from the World's Fair and you'll notice the various vignettes are crammed together much closer than they are now. As far as the goodbye room, I don't know but I believe it was largely the same as now, but the current LEDs were probably color wheels.

2. Yes, 1992

3. Also 1992, same year Paris opened.

4. I believe you're right, but I'm not sure when. I would have to guess early 90's.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

SpectroMan, I actually have that book and record with the World's Fair pictures! But that's the World's Fair. I'm talking Disneyland 1966 after it was moved to California, the first thing you see as the boat enters the building under the clock, the tiny little room before entering the main show building. And dfan07, great picture! And thanks for your guy's answers so far.
    Last edited by Snowman1994; 08-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.

• Closed Account

They have pictures on Daveland of 1969 at: Daveland Disneyland It's A Small World Photo Page including one of the entrance room. Did not see the exit room, though I did not look through all of them. In the 1971 section there is a photo of the exit room.

Wow this is amazing! Thanks for the link! Now I'm just having too much fun on this website! I love seeing vintage photos of Disneyland! Thank you so much!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember in the 1980s the facade was multi-colored like how it is in Tokyo. I don't have any photos of my own, but you can look them up in Google Images.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    They have pictures on Daveland of 1969 at: Daveland Disneyland It's A Small World Photo Page including one of the entrance room. Did not see the exit room, though I did not look through all of them. In the 1971 section there is a photo of the exit room.
    Those old photos are fantastic. I remember the "old days" when you used to enter the queue through what is now the exit. Times sure do change!

• Light up the HALO!

I believe the music changed in late 1993. Here is a video from April of 1993 with the original music still playing. Starts at 2:30.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• Closed Account

I love Daveland, even more than Yesterland, though that one is fun too. The way things used to be is so much fun to remember.

Wow they painted the facade before they changed the music! I thought it was all done at once. There's one video on YouTube I saw where when they were returning the classic white and the Paris music was still playing. The facade was covered up and parts of it was revealed and was white! Man I wish I was around Disneyland when this was all happening!

• Minion

The white-and-gold façade is burned into my childhood memory... at that time I had no concept of "show building" and I thought the entire ride took place in the façade. I remember handing over an E ticket to get on it. It was my grandmother's favorite ride and I think she was 70 when she last rode it (she was born in 1897). She was slightly handicapped and I remember the cast members transferring her from her wheelchair onto a boat. 40 years later I took my Mom in her wheelchair on one of the wheelchair boats. I bought the 45 RPM record of the song and I still have it... the flip side has the song in other languages.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I remember in the 1980s the facade was multi-colored like how it is in Tokyo. I don't have any photos of my own, but you can look them up in Google Images.
    Wasn't the clock tower blue at that time?

Yeah, I think it was.