• Armchair Imagineer

When Did Disneyland Build "The Berm"?

I always thought that the berm surrounding Disneyland was there from Opening Day. However, the photo from Life Magazine took me by surprise:

Name:  disneyland train no berm (Custom).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  120.4 KB

I don't see the train tracks on top of the berm that we know and love. When did the Berm get constructed?

• Artistic integrity

Re: When Did Disneyland Build "The Berm"?

As you can see here .... most of the berm was in place, for the July '55 opening, as you can see in this construction photo -

http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/overheadmap9.jpg

and especially this one - before the actual railroad lines were installed -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...aerial55-B.jpg

What's interesting (looking at that last photo).... the berm piece just beyond Rocket the Moon (as your photo is also behind Rocket to the Moon) ... shows a berm to keep people from looking in on the ugly backstage CM areas (What's now - Space Mountain).

I can't seem to find any decent 1956 or 1957 photo to show that they may have built a berm to keep the parking lot out of view - just behind you.

However, it didn't take too long for Walt to fix this problem - As the Grand Canyon diorama was introduced by 1958 ... to work as a "berm".

Today ... most of this is hidden in heavy trees - right near the Tomorrowland DLRR Station:

Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 08-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Senior Minion

The "berm" is really a series of smaller berms and plantings of trees that enclose the park. As you can see in that photo, they already did have a small berm there. But over time they've all been changed as they've built new attractions around the edges of the park.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

The changes, in chronological order go something like this -

* 1958 - Adding the Grand Canyon Diorama as an "artificial berm" of sorts
    * 1962 - berm from Adventureland through the western edge of Frontierland re-aligned, which ultimately led to the expansion of Jungle Cruise (elephant bathing pool area), New Orleans Square, and Indian Village expansion
    * 1965 - new berm placed in to Frontierland's north end, as DLRR is pushed out to make room for It's A Small World in the land next over.
    * 1966 - Medieval World diorama added in
    * 1993 - Toontown shaves off a part of the berm. Toontown "mountain range" behind - work as "new berm"

I can't think of any other time period where the berm is altered in some way.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    Name:  disneyland train no berm (Custom).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  120.4 KB
    Don't some people wish Anaheim was still rural like this? In some way it seems so much nicer.

Not the cluttered tacky nightmare it is today. LOL
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Don't some people wish Anaheim was still rural like this? In some way it seems so much nicer.

Not the cluttered tacky nightmare it is today. LOL
    Yes of course. However since DL was popular from the get go, it was inevitable that the area around it quickly developed.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

The Kodak paper has really gone to plaid. Some minor color balancing to correct that, and here's the original vista:

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    The Kodak paper has really gone to plaid. Some minor color balancing to correct that, and here's the original vista:
    Nice color correction work! I do that with photos from yesterland from time to time just to see what they'll look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    * 1966 - Medieval World diorama added in
    HAHA. Typo. That'd be neat to see, though....

"That was Europe as we know it today. But it wasn't always that way. Quiet now, as we travel back in time, back to the fantastic Medieval World, Land of the Knights of the Round Table!"

hahahaha

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    Nice color correction work! I do that with photos from yesterland from time to time just to see what they'll look like.

HAHA. Typo. That'd be neat to see, though....

"That was Europe as we know it today. But it wasn't always that way. Quiet now, as we travel back in time, back to the fantastic Medieval World, Land of the Knights of the Round Table!"

hahahaha
    LOL

DUH !!

Primeval World!
    MY SIGNATURE:

Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love love LOVE any pictures of the Disneyland Railroad, especially from the park's early years.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    "Knights, I bid you welcome to the happiest place on Earth. Let us ride...to...DISNEYLAND!"

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Hooterville, USA

Amazing, people hanging on the caboose and no one fell out! People were smarter back then.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Amazing, people hanging on the caboose and no one fell out! People were smarter back then.
    I'm willing to bet they still fell off.

People were less likely to sue.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.