Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Al Report: Star Wars in Tomorrowland, D23 and why no announcments, GAC Attack 2.0

From today's update:
    MiceChat - Disneyland Resort, MiceAge Update - MiceAge Update: In A Tomorrowland Not So Far Away

Highlights include:
    - Why there aren't any announcements at this years expo
    - GAC Attack from the Cast Members
    - Tomorrowland Expansion in 2 parts (before and after the 60th)
    - Star Wars to receive more presence in TL (Speederbikes on PM, Star Wars 3d show to replace Captain EO, and possibly a new big attraction)
    - MI Laugh Floor NOT coming to TL
    and more.
    Last edited by Right Ear; 08-06-2013 at 05:51 AM.

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Al Report: Star Wars in Tomorrowland, D23 and why no announcments, GAC Attack 2.0

It's interesting and funny that the article states Disney is moving away from Marvel based rides that numerous posters were saying was definitely going to happen to Star Wars based rides and esthetics:
    Meanwhile, Disney’s purchase 10 months ago of Lucasfilm turned the plans to remake Disneyland’s Tomorrowland on its ear. Out were ride concepts based on Tron and Marvel, and in was a Star Wars invasion of nearly the entire land.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Al Report: Star Wars in Tomorrowland, D23 and why no announcments, GAC Attack 2.0

It sounds like 2015 will be a good year.

Also glad to see they have found a way to go after the GAC situation!

• Singing Drinker

I love living in CA for one major reason right now.

This line:

the Wall Street crowd wants to see a company scale back and earn back some of that investment before they announce more spending.
    This is very likely true - I've read several investment reports that cite Disney's continued investment in the resort properties as "a cause for concern" as the money was being spent in one massive burst in face of limited competition and counter-programming by other area parks (both CA and FL).

This is no longer the case and the lumbering slimebeasts of Wall Street are taking notice. Uni's ponied up a *massive* set of expenditures for the CA park and recently reupped the amount with unannounced investments in all their parks - I believe they're now talking about spending substantially more than the DCA rebuild albeit scattered across three parks.

With that kind of capital investment among the competition it changes the landscape. The "safe" thing (and what I really believe Disney's doing) is to pull an IOA reaction - wait till the expansion opens, see what damage is done, react from there. The difference this time is that the USH expansion is a *proven* winner - Wizarding World actually stands a chance of impacting Disneyland attendance.

Disney's got a big T-Rex in the rear view and it's DEFINITELY closer than it appears.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Looks like the beancounters who run Disney Parks have figured out another way to rip off the customers: close Disneyland early while keeping the ticket prices as high as ever.

With Disneyland’s ride per cap safely above the number 10, TDA will be cutting back on weekday hours the first few weeks in September and closing Disneyland at 7:00 p.m. while DCA continues to stay open until 8:00 p.m. and host a nightly World of Color show.

Disneyland has also cut back on late evening hours on the first few weekends in September, until at least the HalloweenTime offerings kick off later in September. They’ll watch the numbers and crowd flow closely on those days, to see if they can get away with shorter operating hours at Disneyland while DCA remains very popular. It also helps that these are the last few weeks of the fiscal year, and saving some labor dollars as the resort coasts to the financial finish line will make the sharp pencil boys in TDA smile.
    "Less for more" -- Disney's motto.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Heavy Breather

The fanboy in me drools over the potential of a Star Wars themed Tomorrowland. Yet I think TL needs more diversified attractions besides Star Wars.

Now DHS, they can make a whole land devoted to Star Wars because they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    The fanboy in me drools over the potential of a Star Wars themed Tomorrowland. Yet I think TL needs more diversified attractions besides Star Wars.

Now DHS, they can make a whole land devoted to Star Wars because they need it.
    Even though you are a Dark Lord you have a very keen sense of what's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Looks like the beancounters who run Disney Parks have figured out another way to rip off the customers: close Disneyland early while keeping the ticket prices as high as ever.

"Less for more" -- Disney's motto.
    You sir deserve a "Bingo".

• Banned User

well I think here in Tokyo will get the win win big announcements this octobers expo

• Space King

Let me get this straight...Star Tours and a 3d Star War show to replace Captain EO? How stupid!

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by NyYankFanKen View Post
    Let me get this straight...Star Tours and a 3d Star War show to replace Captain EO? How stupid!
    I'm not sure I follow.

Sure, there are potentially better options they might go with. But replacing EO would not be "stupid" - the boat's sailed on MichaelMania and from my and my friends' personal observations the lines have been down to HISTA levels or lower of late. Why NOT use that area for something new?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

I'm a Star Wars fan, but transforming Tomorrowland entirely into Star Wars is overdoing it. Plus, I would think if they're trying to make Tomorrowland into a new franchise with Brad Bird's movie, a Disney Junior show, and a Space Mountain movie that they'd look to that for ideas.

Also, half the appeal of Speeder Bikes was riding through the forest and being threatened by redwoods and you just don't get that putting them on the Peoplemover track. Lightcycles or something inspired by Robinsons would be better.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

TL: DR
    A Star Wars movie in the Eo theater, ST 2.5 and some paint. It seems like the path of least resistance, but better than nothing.

The big shocker, at least to me, is the Disney employees at all levels using GACs when the only discussion I've seen has been about AP and GP abuse.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Also, half the appeal of Speeder Bikes was riding through the forest and being threatened by redwoods and you just don't get that putting them on the Peoplemover track. Lightcycles or something inspired by Robinsons would be better.
    Yeah, I don't think that riding with 12 other people on a Return of the Jedi bike above Tomorrowland is very fun, or even makes much sense, (such a coaster would look even uglier than Rockets Rods) Tron is such a setup for a theme park ride, it is much easier to build Tron sets for such a ride, and at night it would look awesome.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I'm a Star Wars fan, but transforming Tomorrowland entirely into Star Wars is overdoing it. Plus, I would think if they're trying to make Tomorrowland into a new franchise with Brad Bird's movie, a Disney Junior show, and a Space Mountain movie that they'd look to that for ideas.

They don't necessarily have to be the speeder bikes from the original trilogy. They could also be the BARC speeder bikes from SWE3 and SW Clone Wars, which have an appearance that would fit Tomorrowland better.
    BARC speeder - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast