Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is more Star Wars a good thing???

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tomorrow View Post
    Also, it fits the theme unlike finding nemo, toy story, and the rumors of a Incredibles ride.
    How? Here's why I feel it doesn't.

"A vista into a world of wondrous ideas, signifying Man's achievement."

Okay, Star Wars is a world of wondrous ideas, but it has nothing to do with man's achievement. Perhaps in regards to advancing special effects.

"A step into the future, with predictions of constructed things to come."

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

"Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The Atomic Age, the challenge of Outer Space and the hope for a peaceful, unified world."

Star Wars. The franchise's presence in Tomorrowland also touches on none of this. It's a mindless thrill ride.

I realize Tomorrowland is more Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy these days, but turning it over to Star Wars sounds like it will completely eradicate whatever's left of the original Tomorrowland theme and any hope for the future.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    That box has done been opened already, Pandora
    I’m sorry, but I don’t see that as a reason to settle for more of the same. Disney needs to get back to setting the trends, not playing follow the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    One of the main reasons Disney finds itself in this position (and I'm almost willing to say this isn't opinion but fact, just don't have stats on it) is that it keeps chasing the talent away.

Matt Ouimett oversees a renaissance in CM attitudes and was for a while viewed as one of the better park Presidents. He works at Knott's now. Oddly enough, morale's through the ceiling there and the park's embarked on a wide ranging rebuild and re-commitment to the "Knott's" part of the park including the wildly successful Log Ride rebuild.

Most of the Imagineers and support staff - costumers, parts builders etc. - have all been laid off over the last decade or so, and since then we've seen a massive surge in quality at other parks across the board with new parks, expansions and detailed ride experiences that would very likely have not happened had Disney not decided to go the Harvard MBA "Slash and Burn" route.

Universal's threatening to overtake Disney for very good fairly easily traceable reasons. It doesn't help that they're all self inflicted.
    There are still plenty of talented people left in imanineering. The problem is that management can’t see past promoting their own brand to let them show off ideas that are original and not tied to the latest picture. If the executives would pull the proverbial stick out of their rears and loosen the reins a bit, they may be surprised at what they find.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I watched Star Wars about two years ago, the original, just to say I had seen it. I could not believe how bad of a movie it was. The special effects, even for the late 1970s were terrible.
    For the time, those effects were cutting edge. They may not seem as good by today’s standard (I personally think some of them hold up pretty well), but back when this came out, people were in awe over what they saw on the screen. Star Wars is crediting with launching the moder era of special effects driven movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    If Disneyland wants to build Star Wars, Tron, Marvel, or whatever the heck else they want to do that is about as anti-Disney as you can get (think about it, none of those franchises really scream Disney), they can do it at a third gate, DCA, or in Florida. If they start putting it in Disneyland in large quantities, I know it would be the end of our life long annual passes. If you want to "ride the movies" go to Universal Studios. If you want a "thrill" go to Magic Mountain, but please keep that junk from cluttering the original Disneyland park.
    How is Tron anti-Disney? It’s a Disney movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Okay, Star Wars is a world of wondrous ideas, but it has nothing to do with man's achievement. Perhaps in regards to advancing special effects.
    Beyond just special effects. It depicts a civilization spanning thousands of worlds. It offers a glimpse into the far future showing that mankind may someday be able to achieve the same thing once the limitations of Einsteinian physics have been overcome.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    Please provide a link or citation to show where mankind had that kind of technology a long time ago.

"Tomorrow offers new frontiers in science, adventure and ideals. The Atomic Age, the challenge of Outer Space and the hope for a peaceful, unified world."

Star Wars. The franchise's presence in Tomorrowland also touches on none of this. It's a mindless thrill ride.
    The current attraction depicts an era where interstellar tourism is commonplace. That plays right into “the challenge of Outer Space and the hope for a peaceful, unified world."

I realize Tomorrowland is more Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy these days, but turning it over to Star Wars sounds like it will completely eradicate whatever's left of the original Tomorrowland theme and any hope for the future.
    Turning Tomorrowland into Star Wars Land would be a tragedy of epic porportions. It would show that Disney has simply given up. However, I won’t go as far as saying that what is currently offered has nothing to do with the concept of Tomorrow.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I like the idea of more SW attractions, just not an entire SW-land. I think it makes good business sense to spread popular properties around. A third park would be great for both a second SW ride, as well as a second Indiana Jones ride (I'm looking at you, indoor mine-coaster).

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How is Tron anti-Disney? It’s a Disney movie.
    I know Tron is a Disney Movie. That doesn't mean it covers the essence of Disney which in my opinion is what Disneyland is all about. That is one of the reasons why I think Captain EO has no business being at Disneyland, because it doesn't cover the essence of what Disney is about. There are A LOT of Disney movies that would be out of place at Disneyland because they don't fit the essence of what Disney is. To me, Tron is one of those movies.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I think they should just....build a new land in a third park would make much more sense...but Tommorrowland needs to have its motto changes since...its no long the home of the Future its all science fiction now

• Sock Puppet

Wasn't the whole point of Disneyland that it would never stay the same and things would constantly be torn out and replaced by new stuff to suit the audience of the times? I don't understand why anyone would want Tomorrow land to stay the same especially in it's current state. Star Wars has had a strong presence in Tomorrow land for more than 25 years and there is a very large audience out there excited about the potential for more attractions and adventures in that universe. Besides the one ride that is worth keeping, Space Mountain, will remain.

On top of that, think about it from a business perspective. Universal is rolling out a lavish Harry Potter land in California after creating a similar version in Orlando that has become a huge sensation.

People are going to ask "Universal has Harry Potter world...what does Disneyland have?"

"Uh..Innoventions"

Good luck telling them that Tomorrowland could have had an amazing Star Wars area but it was more important to "preserve the integrity' of a 58 year old concept that for all we know the creator may have radically changed or thrown out along the way.

• Singing Drinker

For the record, science fiction does not mean "not futuristic".

Arthur C. Clarke was VERY well respected within his field as a writer. He also is frequently credited as one of the (if not only) fathers of the communications satellite. His stories and speculations are still being used as the basis for research on solar sails, orbital to ground nanocable lifts and a number of other fields. He was most definitely a writer of hard sci-fi and was also most definitely a futurist.

Science fiction as a field can be at heart about anything. Hard sci-fi tends to focus on the technology and concrete developments, and could be arguably a strong foundation for any Tomorrowland redo. By grabbing technologies that are in the far-off bin and utilizing them as the basis for a ride system or subject of the ride itself, Disney could arguably be advancing the cause of humanity itself by inspiring the next generation who see these marvelous things that could be, find out how much work's being done on them already and then solving those problems.

You know, like a number of modern scientists talk about Disney and Star Trek and the rest of that sugary crap we raised ourselves on
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Wasn't the whole point of Disneyland that it would never stay the same and things would constantly be torn out and replaced by new stuff to suit the audience of the times? I don't understand why anyone would want Tomorrow land to stay the same especially in it's current state. Star Wars has had a strong presence in Tomorrow land for more than 25 years and there is a very large audience out there excited about the potential for more attractions and adventures in that universe. Besides the one ride that is worth keeping, Space Mountain, will remain.

On top of that, think about it from a business perspective. Universal is rolling out a lavish Harry Potter land in California after creating a similar version in Orlando that has become a huge sensation.

People are going to ask "Universal has Harry Potter world...what does Disneyland have?"

"Uh..Innoventions"

Good luck telling them that Tomorrowland could have had an amazing Star Wars area but it was more important to "preserve the integrity' of a 58 year old concept that for all we know the creator may have radically changed or thrown out along the way.
    Yeah the new Disney company would love you.....

Disney it self could make Tomorrowland GREAT with out Star Wars if not then they should all be fired and a new staff brought in with imaginations

I love Star Wars but does it really need to be a land in Disneyland? No

Make attractions like Adventures of Inner Space, Carousel of progress and the house of the future.......not everything needs to be a brand to be cool....Pirates and HM were amazing rides years before they had movies and T shirts

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah the new Disney company would love you.....

Disney it self could make Tomorrowland GREAT with out Star Wars if not then they should all be fired and a new staff brought in with imaginations

I love Star Wars but does it really need to be a land in Disneyland? No

So everyone should be fired for not agreeing with you? Can you imagine Disney and Universal without Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Harry Potter, Spider-Man and Radiator Springs Racers? They were all built for a reason and are just as popular as Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. Arguably even more so.

Make attractions like Adventures of Inner Space, Carousel of progress and the house of the future.......not everything needs to be a brand to be cool....Pirates and HM were amazing rides years before they had movies and T shirts
    Another words build rides from the 60s. It would be like making a big budget movie done in the style of the 60s it would bomb badly at the box office. What worked in that time wouldn't work now sensibilities have changed, generations of kids have grown up with different interests, expectations are different. You bring any of those rides back or new versions and nobody (aside from the hardcore few) is going to ride them more than once. It's called Tomorrowland not Regressiveland after all.

• Minion

"Uh..Innoventions"

I think you're taking Walt's quote a bit too far. It's one thing to put an extra attraction based on Star Wars into the park, but to completely get rid of one of the original major themes in place of an entire land based on Star Wars is absolutely ludicrous, absurd, crazy, sad, blasphemous, ridiculous, wrong and any other word I couldn't think of.

There are plenty of opportunities for these Imagineers to come up with something great, multiple things they could put in. Why would we try to limit that potential, especially when it concerns an original land? Doesn't make sense to me.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^besides Carsland and Potter the rest just have rides not lands based off them...and yes only movie rides would make the parks like Universal...and much much less magical

Well people still love HM and Pirates so...I guess they should make an action movie from the 60's? Considering Pirates almost every year still wins awards for best ride from travel magazines and online polls..its seems like the effect of rides have gone up but not the quality

• Minion

^^^^ No to mention Cars Land replaced a parking lot.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Sock Puppet

Although I do like Star Wars, I feel that just the one attraction in Tomorrowland is good enough. I would prefer if they put in more variety, rather than just flood the place with Star Wars.

• Sharkslayer

Star Wars might be head to Disneyland's 3rd Park, along with Marvel.

I'm just responding to the OP when I say this: We need something that ISN'T a movie.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast