Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is more Star Wars a good thing???

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    In Florida at the Disney Studio Theme Park..............YES!

At Disneyland...........NO! (or, in the words of George Lucas.......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!)
    You mean James Earl Jones?

• Artistic integrity

Lets just entertain ourselves for a moment - And assume turning TL into "Star Wars land" is the bees knees!

What room is there to fit these "Star Wars" attractions that make the whole land ONE BIG Star Wars land?

* You know Space Mountain is going nowhere!

* The same goes for the subs. They spent 172 million on redoing them just 6 years ago. With Finding Dory on the way - It's going NOWHERE!

* Autopia. Why do I get the feeling the most that will ever happen to this,if anything, is giving it electric vehicles? I see this logistical nightmare trying to do anything in this space. I get this feeling Autopia is here to stay!

* Get rid of Buzz Lightyear? - I think John Lassetter will have something to say about that. I think it's safe to say that's going nowhere.

* We have Star Tours taking the spot at the entrance into the land.

* What major attraction/idea is going to fit into Starcade? The area is too narrow ... Too small!

* Redd Rockets Pizza Port - again: Another piece of space, apparently too small for WDI's "big" ideas.

That only leaves the Innovention's space, the "Magic Eye" theater space, and the Peoplemover track.

Even if they take those 3 facilities and create a "Star Wars" idea out of them ... how are they going to tie the local "Pixar" stuff in with it?

I think I got the answer:

You don't.

Now, if Disney REALLY wants to capitalize on their Lucas Film acquisition - They need to put it in a place all it's own - Not sharing the same space with other attractions that we know are going nowhere!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Unhelpful User

Star Wars is like the biggest movie franchise of all time.
    Of course its a good thing, and long overdue.
    I dont think Stitch or the Pixar stuff is going anywhere, if that's what you're suggesting.

And I think Space Mountain could, and maybe should, easily be themed to Star Wars. Dont need to change the outside, it already looks star warsy enough. Same ride but with more tie fighters and John Williams.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Rogermeyers View Post
    Star Wars is like the biggest movie franchise of all time.
    Of course its a good thing, and long overdue.
    exactly especially if they make a major section for Star Wars in Florida people are going to want the same immersive landscapes on the west coast.

I could see the show replacing captain Eo being a similar show to MILF in that it uses living charecter initiative but uses creatures from the Star Wars mythos. What could be really amazing is a dueling spinner attraction on the roofs of tomorrowland of xwings spinning around tie fighters I think they even have a patent for 2 "dueling" spinners.

i could also see them doing a half/half thing where you have Star Wars attractions in the front and you get rid of the subs and all that stuff in the back and make Avatarland/Pandora with its own set of attractions. That would completely breath new life into the land.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tomorrow View Post

i could also see them doing a half/half thing where you have Star Wars attractions in the front and you get rid of the subs and all that stuff in the back and make Avatarland/Pandora with its own set of attractions. That would completely breath new life into the land.
    I don't think the subs are going anywhere. I'll repeat again - They dumped 172 million into rejuvenating it for Nemo just 6 years ago - And "Finding Dory" is coming to theaters in a couple of years.

And I also question - Disney possibly scaling back on expenditure of it's theme parks - particularly the DLR ...(per, Miceage's latest column - Leaving much of the 1967/77 Tomorrowland structures - just a "reskin"). Utilizing only the Innoventions, Peoplemover, and Magic Eye Theater facilities for new attractions?

I actually thought there would be a more "substantial" TL ... Star Wars or no Star Wars involvement.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 08-06-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

One Star Wars theme ride is enough for Disneyland. But if my arm was to be twisted, then leave the 1st ride as Star Tours, make the second a Star Wars ride but a totally different format from Star Tours. How about a Peter Pan style ride, on tracks suspended from above, gliding high above the AT-ATs trudging along the snow, then swooping between their legs, in a speeder, then running through a hallway battling killer droids. At the very end of the ride you pass through a fog screen accompanied by icy cold air blast -- your party gets carbonite frozen -- then your vehicle goes out into the outside light and your ride ends.

Make part of it visual/physical -- sort of an ooo ahh gentle/safe look like viewing the mountain from a distance in the Peter Pan ride, before the entering the next room where the action changes. Small, safe and far away, followed by up close action. Keep the AT-ATs animatronic, no damn CGI screens -- no Nintendo please.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 08-06-2013 at 10:01 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    I know Tron is a Disney Movie. That doesn't mean it covers the essence of Disney which in my opinion is what Disneyland is all about. That is one of the reasons why I think Captain EO has no business being at Disneyland, because it doesn't cover the essence of what Disney is about. There are A LOT of Disney movies that would be out of place at Disneyland because they don't fit the essence of what Disney is. To me, Tron is one of those movies.
    What is the essence of Disney? Disney has many faces. Is the essence animation? If that’s the case, Tron is animated.

If Tron is being ruled out because there is live action mixed with animation, that would rule out classics like Mary Poppins, Song of the South, and Pete’s Dragon.

If it is being ruled out because of the live action alone, it would rule out things like the Apple Dumpling Gang, Herbie the Love Bug, and Pollyana.

There is also the sci-fi aspect of Tron. However, such films as the Black Hole, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Treasure Planet, The Incredibles, and Meet the Robinsons.

As an entertainment giant with so many faces, how does one pin down what the true essence of the company is and say that one film is more “Disney” than another?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    What is the essence of Disney?
    The better way to state it, would be the essence of Disneyland, rather than Disney. I think that people forget that Disneyland is not Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, or Knott's Berry Farm. Disneyland is the one park that is family friendly all the way around. I think rides need to remain family friendly, and need to be rides that children understand the concepts behind. If you put a Tron ride at Disneyland, the average child (think under 16 years old here) has no clue what Tron is. This is one of the reasons why I hate Captain EO at Disneyland, because kids of today can't relate to Captain EO, it's a thing of the past.

While I dislike the fact that "every ride is made into a movie", kids are familiar with Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, etc because of the movies, not because they become familiar with the rides first, and then go to see the movies. The animated stuff, is released and re-released in every version possible by Disney so that it's always fresh in kids minds. Unless Disney plans to re-release a new Tron (remake, sequel, or otherwise) it will be completely irrelevant to kids at Disneyland, when that starts happening, you get just "rides" and not a cohesive theme throughout the park like Disneyland has to offer. Any theme park (Six Flags, Kings Island, etc) can have "just rides" it's the way that the rides all work together into a theme that makes Disneyland so special. And, Disneyland always manages to stay relevant to today's kids, whether it's by re-theming rides, changing rides, or releasing new movies.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Star Wars isn't the problem. Tron isn't the problem. Both could be very successful in a Disney theme park, but "plopping" attractions in at random is not what Disneyland is about or what it's supposed to be. I could see Disney pulling an "island of adventure" type of thing with a third park...Tron section, Marvel section, Star Wars section, throw in a Pixar section that can be changed at whim to attract younger audiences.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I don't think the subs are going anywhere. I'll repeat again - They dumped 172 million into rejuvenating it for Nemo just 6 years ago - And "Finding Dory" is coming to theaters in a couple of years.

And I also question - Disney possibly scaling back on expenditure of it's theme parks - particularly the DLR ...(per, Miceage's latest column - Leaving much of the 1967/77 Tomorrowland structures - just a "reskin"). Utilizing only the Innoventions, Peoplemover, and Magic Eye Theater facilities for new attractions?

I actually thought there would be a more "substantial" TL ... Star Wars or no Star Wars involvement.
    To be fair the Miceage updates on Tomorrowland are extremely vague. I don't think much has leaked out aside from Speeder Bikes attraction and a Star Wars theme.

• -

The better way to state it, would be the essence of Disneyland, rather than Disney. I think that people forget that Disneyland is not Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, or Knott's Berry Farm. Disneyland is the one park that is family friendly all the way around. I think rides need to remain family friendly, and need to be rides that children understand the concepts behind.
    Well, then that would be true of any franchise based attraction, not just Tron. I would like there to be a nice balance of original rides and franchise based attractions like there was until CA Adventure scared the company away from that model to where every new attraction now has to be tied to a franchise. However, I don’t see this as being any different than the mermaid ride that was just opened, or Cars Land or any other franchise based attraction.

If you put a Tron ride at Disneyland, the average child (think under 16 years old here) has no clue what Tron is.
    This is one of the reasons why I hate Captain EO at Disneyland, because kids of today can't relate to Captain EO, it's a thing of the past.
    As someone with kids, I can say that both of these statements are way off the mark. The only reason that I ever go into EO now is because my kids drag me into it. As to having no clue what Tron is, the sequel came out only 3 years ago, with a cartoon that was recently on TV as well. I think kids know what Tron is.

While I dislike the fact that "every ride is made into a movie", kids are familiar with Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, etc because of the movies, not because they become familiar with the rides first, and then go to see the movies.
    I bet most kids haven’t seen the Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

As to Haunted Mansion, I can guarantee that kids are familiar with it because of the ride, not that horrible Eddie Murphy movie.

The animated stuff, is released and re-released in every version possible by Disney so that it's always fresh in kids minds. Unless Disney plans to re-release a new Tron (remake, sequel, or otherwise) it will be completely irrelevant to kids at Disneyland
    Tron and its sequel and cartoon have been released across all media, including iTunes. There is also a third movie reportedly in the works.

when that starts happening, you get just "rides" and not a cohesive theme throughout the park like Disneyland has to offer. Any theme park (Six Flags, Kings Island, etc) can have "just rides" it's the way that the rides all work together into a theme that makes Disneyland so special.
    I agree. That is why I wouldn’t want a Tron ride in Critter Country. Tomorrowland is the proposed area, and Tron with its futuristic concept vehicles and computer technology would be right at home there.

And, Disneyland always manages to stay relevant to today's kids, whether it's by re-theming rides, changing rides, or releasing new movies.
    Disneyland is not just for kids, ask Walt. However, I don’t see Tron as something that is not relevant to kids today.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Star Wars isn't the problem. Tron isn't the problem. Both could be very successful in a Disney theme park, but "plopping" attractions in at random is not what Disneyland is about or what it's supposed to be. I could see Disney pulling an "island of adventure" type of thing with a third park...Tron section, Marvel section, Star Wars section, throw in a Pixar section that can be changed at whim to attract younger audiences.
    Again, it wouldn’t be plopping this in at random. It would be putting it at random like the princesses or the British nanny that were stuck on Main Street, or the English toy bear in the American woods, this is something showing off futuristic concepts in a land that is supposed to be showcasing that.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    In Tomorrowland, it is not a good thing imo. In a 3rd park, definitely, build all the Star Wars you want.
    This.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Capt without a ship...

First off as stated - Star Wars occurs A Long Time Ago, not in the future. Too much SW in the park would be overkill.

As for movie based rides, that makes perfect sense at Universal, they are a STUDIO park, everything they have is based off of their movie and TV properties. With Disney, it does get stifling to only see movie based attractions.

My daughter made a point last night - while not basing a land off of the movie per se, Meet the Robinsons had some great future world concepts that would be entertaining and show a bright promising future - bubble transit, instant buildings, spaceship pizza delivery by cannon!

The movie may not have done great, but there are some great gems in there that could work in TOMORROWLand. It just fits.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by RSZero1 View Post
    First off as stated - Star Wars occurs A Long Time Ago, not in the future.
    So… a long time ago we had the ability to fly faster than light speed through worm holes from planet to planet? That stuff seems pretty "Tomorrow" to me.

Meet the Robinsons had some great future world concepts that would be entertaining and show a bright promising future - bubble transit, instant buildings, spaceship pizza delivery by cannon!

The movie may not have done great, but there are some great gems in there that could work in TOMORROWLand. It just fits.
    Just like Star Wars.

• ~

The better way to state it, would be the essence of Disneyland, rather than Disney. I think that people forget that Disneyland is not Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, or Knott's Berry Farm. Disneyland is the one park that is family friendly all the way around. I think rides need to remain family friendly, and need to be rides that children understand the concepts behind. If you put a Tron ride at Disneyland, the average child (think under 16 years old here) has no clue what Tron is. This is one of the reasons why I hate Captain EO at Disneyland, because kids of today can't relate to Captain EO, it's a thing of the past. While I dislike the fact that "every ride is made into a movie", kids are familiar with Mr Toad's Wild Ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, etc because of the movies, not because they become familiar with the rides first, and then go to see the movies.
    As calsig31 pointed out, I doubt that kids are familiar with The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (one of the least-known films from the Walt Disney Animation Studios) or The Haunted Mansion starring Eddie Murphy (thankfully, that adaptation was quickly washed away in the sands in time). Familiarity with the source material is not necessary to understand an environment or a premise if the attraction is well-crafted--Splash Mountain is a perfect example of this. Very few guests have seen Song of the South, but the attraction manages to remain popular because the sheer idea of its setting and its story are well-themed and interesting. Likewise, as a little girl, I rode IJA and Star Tours many, many times before I saw either film and still adored each attraction (as well as riding and loving POTC before the existence of the film franchise) because the settings and stories are interesting, memorable, and make sense in the context of the land. This is ultimately what should matter, not the source material or lack thereof.

The animated stuff, is released and re-released in every version possible by Disney so that it's always fresh in kids minds. Unless Disney plans to re-release a new Tron (remake, sequel, or otherwise) it will be completely irrelevant to kids at Disneyland, when that starts happening, you get just "rides" and not a cohesive theme throughout the park like Disneyland has to offer. Any theme park (Six Flags, Kings Island, etc) can have "just rides" it's the way that the rides all work together into a theme that makes Disneyland so special. And, Disneyland always manages to stay relevant to today's kids, whether it's by re-theming rides, changing rides, or releasing new movies.
    Familiarity with a movie doesn't create cohesive theme. Choosing stories and ideas based around a central vision creates theme. And as addressed above, an attraction's relevance does not depend on a movie's relevance. I personally want to see a better balance of franchise-based attractions and original concepts, but if there's one franchise that I want to see in Tomorrowland, it's TRON. Not necessarily because of the film's story, but because the world that it creates is so interesting, motion-filled, visually rich, and would translate beautifully to a three-dimensional environment. It's a setting and an idea that Disney could replicate while creating a new narrative to make it unique to the park and more complimentary to the greater theme of Tomorrowland.

And, again, as calsig31 pointed out, TRON, TRON: Legacy, its television show (TRON: Uprising), and its recent video game (TRON: Evolution) have been released on a wide variety of platforms. It may not be as popular as Star Wars, but it's far from obscure or irrelevant. This isn't Song of the South we're talking about here. On Facebook, the franchise's page actually has 5.6 million followers. That's a considerably strong group. Star Wars' page has approximately 10.6 million followers, and considering how ingrained Star Wars is in popular culture and the sheer multitude of movies, spin-offs, and merchandise of the franchise, TRON's page having more than half that number of "likes" is pretty impressive.

My daughter made a point last night - while not basing a land off of the movie per se, Meet the Robinsons had some great future world concepts that would be entertaining and show a bright promising future - bubble transit, instant buildings, spaceship pizza delivery by cannon!

My main problem with Meet the Robinsons is that a large portion of the future and the innovations that it depicts are rather goofy and cartoony. I admire its out-of-the-box thinking, but I don't feel like it would translate well to a land that is supposed to depict man's future and generate excitement about the possible innovations of tomorrow because of the film's outlandish and overly quirky moments. I do, however, like the overall aesthetics of the city--the clean, white buildings in simple, curving shapes, the lush greenery integrated into the city, its constant buzz and motion, and, of course, the fact that it portrays a bright, peaceful future instead centered around family and progress instead of a chaotic and conflict-ridden future where technology causes problems for society. I think Disney could draw some inspiration from these elements of its future, rather than basing a remodel or new attraction directly off the film.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 08-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Disneyland knows that star wars is very popular to a large amount of people, so they want to advertise as much as they can to get more money and more people to visit the park. The more people notice that disney has taken over Star Wars, the more fans will enjoy disneyland.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast