Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Artistic integrity

Re: Is more Star Wars a good thing???

Quote Originally Posted by RSZero1 View Post
    My daughter made a point last night - while not basing a land off of the movie per se, Meet the Robinsons had some great future world concepts that would be entertaining and show a bright promising future - bubble transit, instant buildings, spaceship pizza delivery by cannon!

The movie may not have done great, but there are some great gems in there that could work in TOMORROWLand. It just fits.
    You mean, like this?

(From imagineer Scot Drake - "Blue Sky Concepts" panel from a past D23 Expo - WDW's TL with "Meet the Robinsons" influences)
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

More Star Wars at DL and WDW?

WDW - at Disney Studios Park ? ABSOLUTELY! As the annual host for its own Star Wars celebration, AN ENTIRE NEW LAND (as large as DCA's Radiator Springs should have been in the works, ever since Islands of Adventure announced they were building Harry Potter. WDW has been WAY TOO SLOW, on the draw, and needs to get new C, D, and E Tickets (in addition to the already existing Star Tours attraction) along wiith a variety of setting so guests can can explore real planets from SW movies, in real 3D, and NOT just with 3d glasses, as Star Tours does.

At DL''s Tomorrowland: Yes I can see half of Tomorrowland being converted into a mini Star Tours experience, (BUT AN ENORMOUS, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! to placing a Star Wars type movie in the 3D theater! no! No!! NO!!!!! TL already has a 3D Movie in Star Tours! ) I would say Add a BIG Star Wars E- Ticket, attraction, along with a C or D Ticket Attraction, (convert CLOSE Red Rocket AND CONVERT BACK TO ATTRACTION SPACE, AND THEN Convert Tomorrowland Terrace into an outdoor version of the Star Wars Cantina!!!!

• Down Pluto!

No.

Any more movie tie-ins would be a downgrade. Lowest common denominator (look it up Disney Leadership) thinking now replaces innovation and new, original concepts that push the envelope. Better to be safe and milk the properties until customers are sick of them. Mission accomplished, Disney!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Compared with Sci Fi movie tie-in rides, there's something fundamentally superior about a "Journey Through Inner Space", or "Mission to Mars" style ride -- especially if given a modern sheen with modern tech. They're not 'tied down", they're timeless -- well until we actually start traveling to Mars on a regular basis, or shrink ourselves to the size of bacteria.

These rides create "experiences" in the way a ride based on a movie can't. They're also educational, more so than any rides currently at Disneyland -- granted no one comes to Disneyland to "learn". I love me some Star Wars, but it's hard to create a similar sense of "wonder" in a ride that isn't based on actual knowledge and scientist approved potentials.

Can't we have an ... say outer spacey ride, but realistic, educational, wonder instilling, like a Mars mission ride, and make it great, and NOT tied to a particular movie? Is it possible to have a ride like this coexist in Tomorrowland with a Star Wars ride next door? Nothing against Star Wars, but Tomorrowland (and hence Disneyland) will lose some of its magical spirit if all big new rides are based on movies only.
    Last edited by Goatboy; 08-08-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
    Compared with Sci Fi movie tie-in rides, there's something fundamentally superior about a "Journey Through Inner Space", or "Mission to Mars" style ride -- especially if given a modern sheen with modern tech. They're not 'tied down", they're timeless -- well until we actually start traveling to Mars on a regular basis, or shrink ourselves to the size of bacteria.

These rides create "experiences" in the way a ride based on a movie can't. They're also educational, more so than any rides currently at Disneyland -- granted no one comes to Disneyland to "learn". I love me some Star Wars, but it's hard to create a similar sense of "wonder" in a ride that isn't based on actual knowledge and scientist approved potentials.

Can't we have an ... say outer spacey ride, but realistic, educational, wonder instilling, like a Mars mission ride, and make it great, and NOT tied to a particular movie? Is it possible to have a ride this this coexist in Tomorrowland with a Star Wars ride next door? Nothing against Star Wars, but Tomorrowland (and hence Disneyland) will lose some of its magical spirit if all big new rides are based on movies only.
    ^THIS
    If Disney execs actually let their imagineers use their creativity; Tomorrowland could be great without having a major movie franchise tie-in. But most kids these days have the attention capabilities of rodents and if it's not a "cool" big-name movie or character they recognize; its automatically bad and/or boring.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemsfreckles View Post
    ^THIS
    If Disney execs actually let their imagineers use their creativity; Tomorrowland could be great without having a major movie franchise tie-in. But most kids these days have the attention capabilities of rodents and if it's not a "cool" big-name movie or character they recognize; its automatically bad and/or boring.
    I don't see why we can't have both. The Haunted House isn't tied to a movie, nor really is Pirates (a couple Johnny Depp robots doesn't count). I think there'd be enough demand from adults for a "Journey through the solar system" (maybe call it something less corny).

Discovery channel is extremely popular for similar reasons. I feel there'd be enough demand in Tomorrowland for an excellent ride like this (one that moves, on tracks, animatronics, holograms etc).

• Capt without a ship...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    You mean, like this?

(From imagineer Scot Drake - "Blue Sky Concepts" panel from a past D23 Expo - WDW's TL with "Meet the Robinsons" influences)
    Wow, I had no idea that was even under consideration previously.

•   
    • Minion

I think my major beef with adding more Star Wars to Tomorrowland is this: I don't think it's a good idea to oversaturate ANY land with one particular franchise. In all of the other lands in Disneyland there's a heterogeneous mix; in Tomorrowland right now, as well, that explores a lot of different perspectives. Saturating Tomorrowland with Star Wars changes that entirely.

DCA is different; of course, and a third gate could very well have an entire land themed to Star Wars. I think SW would be far better served by that, honestly. I just don't think ANY land in the original Disneyland should be overwhelmed by any one franchise. I'd feel the same way if they suddenly decided that Adventureland should only be about Indiana Jones or Fantasyland should be all about, say, Sleeping Beauty.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Vroom, vroom!

Angry Re: Is more Star Wars a good thing???

This forum, is so serious, I had to use the big boy reply to thread option. The one with ALL the options!
    So, what do I think of this idea in general, allow me to get another fictional character to answer for me.

Now I will defend this reason, with logic and opinion, and remember logic is sound, and opinion varies from person to person.
    While I can admit to being a fan of Star Wars, do you know what actually is a better tie in to the idea of Tomorrowland I stress that word tomorrow...
    Star Trek, surprisingly. And no, I am not saying to add an attraction based off of that.
    Star Wars, while it has ideas that are futuristic to us, does as it say at the beginning of each film, take place A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.. I.E. It has NOTHING to do with our future.
    A second point, if you over saturate Star Wars into Tomorrowland, it would become, well, Star Wars Land, and to be honest that would not interest me very much, and would feel like a cash in. Much like other TL rides. If they are truly wanting to do a whole Star Wars Land, let it be in another park, Disney studios, yes, DCA, I stress the maybe... if done as an add on for the studio part of the park. A whole new park, Have a ball, and bring marvel with you.

Now, do I think that Tomorrowland needs to be stagnant, NO! Absolutely not! The main problem here, is a severe lack of imagination for what the future MIGHT hold. In the 50s and 60s, we had grand ambitions that for some part, came true. However, where do we go from there to make it seem like the world of tomorrow from Today's perspective?

Here are some things that are still far off for us.
    Realistic sentient humanoid robots. A natural, or man made clean way to produce energy Travel beyond our solar system. Commonly living outside of earth, or even leaving earth. Exploration of extreme deep waters, such as the Mariana trench. Living beneath the water. Shrinking things, or people down even smaller.
    The Singularity.
    A world without money. A society that lives in peace, as in no wars at all any more, and/or is driven to explore, learn, and grow simply because we know that is what we want to do, not for reasons of greed.
    Telleportation over long distances. Honesty in politicians. (okay that was a joke, but come on!)
    Windows into other worlds, or even doorways into alternate universes. Reliable, fast, and safe public transportation. Vehicles that either require no wheels, or are designed to fly, or perhaps are so stable that they never break down no matter where you drive them.

Any of these ideas would be great ideas for a new TL as far as futuristic ideas go. Now all you have to do is eliminate either what has already been done, or what can not be done at all.

Telleportation was handled by WDW as the show Alien Encounter, and it was gone rather quick so I don't think that one would be too good of an idea. Space Stations and Space Travel via wormhole is handled well by Space Mountain, And arguably, star tours as well, in a different way.

Shrinking, well Honey I shrunk the audience was a rather... Meh show, and Adventures through inner space has been done already. BUT this idea could be done again if handled in a different way.

Deep sea exploring, Ah yes, my big issue with the submarine voyage as it stands. While at the time I have no real issue with Nemo and friends in the lagoon, some day, the franchise will run its course and the ride can be on the chopping block, in this case I would suggest rather than replace it entirely or filling in the lagoon, I would just take away the Finding Nemo refferences, and instead use those nice projectors to project real fish into the water, and create a more fantastic, real world based adventure.

Clean Energy, well, this is touchy, perhaps a sort of innovations idea SHOULD be in TL, or a Carousel of Progress type of attraction, without it being a rehash of either attraction. With this type of ride, you could talk about different things to appear in the future, like clean energy, the advancement of A.I. and Robotics, How medicine practices have improved with cutting edge technology, In other words, throughout this ride, (be it a C.o.P style ride, omnimover, boat ride, walk through, or whatever the means) This could become the catch all for many futuristic ideas that are grand, but not great enough to stand on their own, and instead can show us in a few minutes what a far off futuristic year might look like for an average person, or persons.

Transportation. This covers a WIDE variety of ride possibilities, from Autopia becoming a car ride into a car for other planets, to a people mover type of ride, or even how more common space travel may be handled by those of us that are not trying to set records, but just get somewhere on time for business or pleasure. So, I break this into three parts, and ideas.

The People Mover Track...
    This could be handled as either a new type of people mover using tech that is either made up for the ride, or is simply uncommon to use today. HOWEVER, I would stress that this should be handled as a real transport if they do this idea, with three stations in T.L. The main station, A station near Autopia, and finally, have most of the exess track removed and rerouted to have the final station be near the edge of TL by Matterhorn, or a station a little ways away from the old launch from the motor boat cruise. HOWEVER other ideas could simply be futuristic hover cars, or a light cycle type ride if they REALLY need that movie tie in. I would advise against either that or a star wars theme, however that does not mean you can't draw inspiration from them to create a thrilling ride idea! Motor Cycles of the future? Yes please! Vehicles that float on air! WHY NOT! It could happen in the future! Just if they are to do this, bank the turns...

Autopia Track, What can I say about this ride that hasn't been said before? NOTHING! So, I won't for now. Instead here are basic ideas,
    All terain vehicles for different planets. Concept vehicles. Concept freeway styles, concept propulsion or way to roll, No wheels, or jet powered, or nuclear powered, or clean air vehicles... etc.

Lastly, an attraction that shows how we might travel space in the future as common people, and not pioneers would be fantastic! Imagine the possibilities that can be done with this, not a thrill ride, but just basicly a short tour of the ship you are riding in, while you can see where you are going, as if it were really moving. How would it be handled? Would it be like a rocket? Maybe, will it do a vertical take off? Not likely, perhaps it's like flying in a jet. Comfortable and safe.

With those three ideas out of the way, let me now bring up the final idea, alternate universes than our own.
    This ride could be done with Autopia if handled right, or along the people mover tracks, or replacing the innoventions building, or replacing SEVERAL buildings in a new TL.
    Just imagine, what possiblilities are out there with just the slightest differences in history, or even outside of that. A world where life evolved on earth very differently than it did, or a dimension where Rome never fell, or perhaps a world where things were we never got past a certain stage of technological development, or another where we had become so advanced that what we think of as futuristic, is childish to them, and passe relics of the past!

Okay, I'm done.

TL;DR

No, just no. Not more Star Wars.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Scott View Post
    Star Wars, while it has ideas that are futuristic to us, does as it say at the beginning of each film, take place A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.. I.E. It has NOTHING to do with our future.
    This has been addressed ad nauseum and is purely a straw man argument. I, myself have addressed this in this thread, here:
    Is more Star Wars a good thing???
    and here:
    Is more Star Wars a good thing???

A second point, if you over saturate Star Wars into Tomorrowland, it would become, well, Star Wars Land, and to be honest that would not interest me very much, and would feel like a cash in. Much like other TL rides.
    Now this is a valid argument, and one which I vehemently support. If they are going to add a Star Wars land, let them add it to one of Disneyland’s expansion areas, not as a replacement for Tomorrowland.

If they are truly wanting to do a whole Star Wars Land, let it be in another park, Disney studios, yes, DCA, I stress the maybe... if done as an add on for the studio part of the park. A whole new park, Have a ball, and bring marvel with you.
    Another park, fine. Not CA Adventure. It has nothing to do with CA.

Here are some things that are still far off for us.
    Realistic sentient humanoid robots.
    Like C3PO, GT4T, and Captain Rex?

A natural, or man made clean way to produce energy Travel beyond our solar system. Commonly living outside of earth, or even leaving earth. Exploration of extreme deep waters, such as the Mariana trench. Living beneath the water.
    These are all depicted in Star Tours.

Windows into other worlds, or even doorways into alternate universes. Reliable, fast, and safe public transportation. Vehicles that either require no wheels, or are designed to fly, or perhaps are so stable that they never break down no matter where you drive them.
    Also depicted in Star Tours.

Shrinking, well Honey I shrunk the audience was a rather... Meh show, and Adventures through inner space has been done already. BUT this idea could be done again if handled in a different way.
    This could be done very well with Ant-Man, although I would hope they would blend some hard science into it like they did with Innerspace so it is not just science fiction.

Clean Energy, well, this is touchy, perhaps a sort of innovations idea SHOULD be in TL, or a Carousel of Progress type of attraction, without it being a rehash of either attraction.
    I think if done right, the Stark Expo idea would work perfectly for this. It could start off with Ironman/Tony Stark talking about his fictional clean energy ARC-reactor and then go into exploring the real world possibilities for clean energy, like solar power, wind power, hydrogen fuel cells… etc.

The People Mover Track...
    This could be handled as either a new type of people mover using tech that is either made up for the ride, or is simply uncommon to use today. HOWEVER, I would stress that this should be handled as a real transport if they do this idea, with three stations in T.L. The main station, A station near Autopia, and finally, have most of the exess track removed and rerouted to have the final station be near the edge of TL by Matterhorn, or a station a little ways away from the old launch from the motor boat cruise. HOWEVER other ideas could simply be futuristic hover cars, or a light cycle type ride if they REALLY need that movie tie in. I would advise against either that or a star wars theme, however that does not mean you can't draw inspiration from them to create a thrilling ride idea! Motor Cycles of the future? Yes please! Vehicles that float on air! WHY NOT! It could happen in the future! Just if they are to do this, bank the turns...
    I like these ideas, except for the multiple stations. For me the old Peoplemover was always a tour of Tomorrowland. I think having multiple stations would detract from that.

I would also add to your great ideas, the possibility of a mag-lev attraction for those tracks.

Autopia Track, What can I say about this ride that hasn't been said before? NOTHING! So, I won't for now. Instead here are basic ideas,
    All terain vehicles for different planets. Concept vehicles. Concept freeway styles, concept propulsion or way to roll, No wheels, or jet powered, or nuclear powered, or clean air vehicles... etc.
    These again are good ideas.

Lastly, an attraction that shows how we might travel space in the future as common people, and not pioneers would be fantastic! Imagine the possibilities that can be done with this, not a thrill ride, but just basicly a short tour of the ship you are riding in, while you can see where you are going, as if it were really moving. How would it be handled? Would it be like a rocket? Maybe, will it do a vertical take off? Not likely, perhaps it's like flying in a jet. Comfortable and safe.
    This one is already covered in Star Tours.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think my major beef with adding more Star Wars to Tomorrowland is this: I don't think it's a good idea to oversaturate ANY land with one particular franchise. In all of the other lands in Disneyland there's a heterogeneous mix; in Tomorrowland right now, as well, that explores a lot of different perspectives. Saturating Tomorrowland with Star Wars changes that entirely.

DCA is different; of course, and a third gate could very well have an entire land themed to Star Wars. I think SW would be far better served by that, honestly. I just don't think ANY land in the original Disneyland should be overwhelmed by any one franchise. I'd feel the same way if they suddenly decided that Adventureland should only be about Indiana Jones or Fantasyland should be all about, say, Sleeping Beauty.
    I agree. I think transforming Tomorrowland into a Star Wars land is a mistake. The lands of Disneyland should always remain as overarching themes of tomorrow, fantasy, adventure and frontier with a mix of ideas. No one franchise should ever dominate a land simply because it's popular. DCA can have Carsland. The 3rd gate can have Star Wars land or Marvel land.

And if they're feelin frisky, move Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters to DCA's Paradise Pier and Star Tours to the 3rd gate. (Star Wars shouldn't be in the 3rd gate AND Tomorrowland) Keep Space Mountain but rebuild Tomorrowland from scratch with original concepts, new missions to Mars and beyond, re-located rockets and next-gen mass transit vehicles and a new nighttime laser show in the lagoon celebrating the demolition of the Finding Nemo Subs.
    Last edited by wdimike55; 08-09-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234